1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dune Books

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shrikant, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I just got the dune books, 5 of them. Just finished the first.

My friend suggested I stop after the 2nd or 3rd as the rest were really pathetic. He also said that the later books were written after the original author's death by his son. That sounds retarded.
    Your comments please.

Also got the dragonlance stories. How are they?

2. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

His son is a pretty good writer, and besides it is your friends opinion isn't it?

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Some of the later books turned into philosophy texts. That's no fun. But the first two books were interesting -- they combined the philosophy with some sort of plot, which was good.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I enjoyed the later ones very much, but they were different. The first major change was right after the first book - 'Dune'. 'Messiah' was still grand, but not of the caliber of the first one and 'Children' weren't of the caliber of it. However, 'God Emperor' seemed very different, though. I can't say better or worse, it was just different - but not to such an extent as the last two - 'Heretics' and 'Chapterhouse'. I liked them. They were different, strange... oh well. Perhaps he intended some wondrous solution of the plot of all six books but death interrupted him. Too many questions were raised and not answered. The Atreides line seemed to have been dropped by the author, but it was an illusion. In fact, it all revolved around the Atreides bloodline and something strange was bound to happen sooner or later. I was dying to learn on what that importance relied, but it wasn't given to me and hasn't been yet. Maybe the author's son will finally write a Final Book of All Answers. So far he's spawned three prequels. Not bad ones, I'd say. I liked those too.

So, it's up to you. You lose nothing if you read them. Maybe the time spent on some reading not particularly interesting for you, but most certainly at least technically fine and not intellectually debilitating, so the loss won't be a major one. Read all, if only to know what happened.

5. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Your friend might have a point, but you should still read all of them and form your own opinion. :book:
    The first book is truly a masterpiece. IMO there is a clear shift between the first three books (which concentrate on the Atreites dinasty, the ecology of Dune and the Fremen culture) and the last four (which concentrate on the fate of the Atreides blood and intergalactic politics).
    The books written by the son are not bad, but IMO nothing really good.

6. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

God emperor of Dune - there's a nice Judas reference.

Anyway - Dune is great.
    (have read 4 so far)

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

7 BOOKS!!

//Shrikanth faints

How many books are there in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I found five till now.

Also I got some DragonLance books but have no idea of the how to seperate the various trilogies. Can some of you help me there?

I shall put up that list later.

Thanks Guys :thumb:

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

there's only 6 books.

Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse: Dune

I believe they're all by frank herbert. His son wrote some of the preludes to the story, forgot the exact name but I think they're just named,
    House Harkonnen, House Atreides, House Corrino(sp? the emperor's house)
    might have written more

10. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

There is a 7th book around called "The road to Dune" but it is a collection of short stories and iirc not all written by Herbert. Maybe you are counting this one as well, Shrikanth ?

As for his son, the name is Brian and he writes in collaboration with Kevin J. Anderson. They are now publishing a second trilogy, about the Butlerian Jihad. The first book is called, not surprisingly, "The Butlerian Jihad", the second is "The Machine Crusade". I believe the third has not been published yet.

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I guess I stand corrected :)

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The prequels by his son really shouldn't be missed. They're not bad reads at all, though not nearly as good as the early Dune books.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.