1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your greatest gaming experiences

Discussion in 'Playground' started by hannibal555, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A lot of game were very good, but three games I played for years.

BG2, doom2, NWN1. Please wipe the memory of those games and do not disturd me for the next 4 years.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now. That's right, mindless racing and violence. I could spend hours just racing around, exploring and go on the occasional total rampage. Nothing beats driving at 300 kph through a heavily populated area with Electro Bastard Pedestrian Ray on. Or seeing if you couldn't reach the 500 kph with the Turbo Nutter Bastard Nitrous power up without totalling your car at the end of the runway. Every time I play any racing game, I think back to this game wistfully, especially if I get overtaken in the last corner before the finish, or if some opponent sees fit to push me into the railings. Then I just want a giant spring to pop from my car and punt every car away from me.

Deus Ex. The first and still best mix of FPS and RPG. You could go berserk each mission and kill everyone in sight, or you could sneak around, stun a few critical targets and carry those bodies back into hiding. Like Splinter Cell, only better. Because it also had a very good story line, which sucked you right in.

Morrowind. Total freedom. The first time I played it, I looked at my journal and saw that I needed to go to Balmora. I looked left, I looked right, I cast a last glance at the silt strider (the transport that was recommended), and set off in a totally different direction, exploring to my hearts content. And there are so many mods to add whatever you could possibly want to the game, including spiffier graphics. Though I mostly used mods to add nifty hide-outs with armour displays. Until I learned enough to create my own.

Red Alert. Did you know that there actually is a build limit to how many naval units you can build? I was once a little disappointed when I found that I could only build 100 naval units, leaving me with only 98 Cruisers (with two transports), in stead of my initial goal of 100 Cruisers. Eventually, I overcame my disappointment and send my 98 Cruisers to totally obliterate all 7 enemy bases (and yes, I created a map specially for this purpose). I could listen to the thumping sound of their cannons all day long, especially the sound of so many firing simultaneously.

Fallout 1 & 2. I love the setting of that 50's idea of a post-nuclear war, the combat messages (Enclave Patrolman was critically hit in the eyes for 200 hit points. The wound causes severe blindness, as if there is any other kind.) and the humour present throughout the entire game. And it's possible to play this game without killing anyone (well, in Fallout 2 you'll have to kill Frank Horrigan, but that's it). And once you've beaten the game without killing anyone, you can still visit every town again and commit total genocide.

Planescape: Torment. For having the best damn story ever.

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    I just ealised I forgot something...Zone of the Enders! This game was amazing, the story had me almost in tears and I really felt for the characters, especially Ada the computer.

Its one of those rare gems that you keep passing by until one day you treat yourself, and then you wonder why you never bought it before.

10/10 :D

4. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

How come nobody has played Doom? First time my friend and I could connect our 2 PCs and play Doom via LAN, we spend the whole weekend, we just slept about 4 hours and continued, ordered food by phone just to no waste time cooking...
    Then came Warcraft 2 and was the same; I made about hundreds maps to play LAN against AI.
    And then came Starcraft, I mastered the map editor so I made tons of maps. We played that game for hours.

And then we got girfriends.... and no game got that insteresting again... :p
    Well, when I first played GTA III I got very addicted to it.

5. Half-elven Duergar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

FF 2, 3, VII, XII (virtually any FF game) - who would'nt like this game, kupo?

Secret of Mana - enjoyed this game

Half-life - played half-life more than I played half-life 2 actually

Diablo 2 - one of my favorite RPG seven years ago... until MMOs came along.

GTA Vice City - my very first GTA game... picked up hookers, killed gang members, trashed cars, blew up yachts, weild an M4A1 or RPG launcher... things I could'nt do in the real world, yeah!

BG series - the story got me hooked on CRPGs

6. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I forgot to mention Warcraft III.

7. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

Baldur's Gate saga over and over again
    The first time I played any Final Fantasy game (especially 5 - 10)
    GTA III - My brother and I couldn't believe it when we first played it
    I loved Zone of Enders and its sequel
    Diablo - Ah Diablo, with you I have broken many mice!
    Morrowind - You could do anything!
    Oblivion - Amazing!
    Ocarina of Time - My second favorite Zelda game
    A Link to the Past - Best Zelda game in my opinion
    Symphony of the Night - By far the best Castlevania

I wish I could have the feeling of newness back like when I first played these amazing games. :(

8. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

"How come nobody has played Doom? First time my friend and I could connect our 2 PCs and play Doom via LAN, we spend the whole weekend, we just slept about 4 hours and continued, ordered food by phone just to no waste time cooking...
    Then came Warcraft 2 and was the same; I made about hundreds maps to play LAN against AI.
    And then came Starcraft, I mastered the map editor so I made tons of maps. We played that game for hours.

And then we got girfriends.... and no game got that insteresting again... [Razz]

Thank you!
    Those are the happiest memories I have of you and me, when none of us were married (and almost tamed) and nothing in the world seems more important than finished a game.
    BTW, the nigths we played Diablo were completely worth it to me(whenever you liked or not).

9. shadow lurker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Chronological oder:
    -Atomic Bomberman ^^
    -Mario and all those other Nesticle games ^^
    -Gizmos and Gadgets (haha we played this at school after we finished our work. So lame though because it was an educational game...)
    -Quake with Reaperbots (...my brother's influence..)
    -Descent (...again my brother...)
    -Err...that old microsoft game beginning with 'T' (I think) where you fly a ship...(...my brother again..)
    -BioMenace (hahaha that was such a lame game with try hard music..)
    -Return Fire II (it was free with our computer...)
    -One Must Fall ^^ (I like the thorn charge...hehe)
    -Need For Speed I and II (my brother again...the first one was hard, but the second one was much easier. Haha I even beat him a few times...^^ )
    -Heroes of Might and Magic II and III ^^
    -Crusader: No Regret (too bad it doesn't run on newer computers...it has pretty good music ^^ )
    -Warcraft II and III (I just love to annoy them haha "stop rocking the boat!", "your sound card works perfectly" and "I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky")
    -Diablo II (brother made me play as a paladin)
    -BG 2 (sister didn't offer me the first one)
    -The Sims (my friend and I got so addicted we even mimmicked their voices..)
    -Tetris (hehehe...cause I was restricting myself from playing real games...)
    -Mortal Kombat I, II, III (Gotta love Raiden, Sub Zero, Scorpion and Noob Saibot ^^ )

Not sure if I can add this, but I played some game on Wii which was pretty fun...at my friend's friiend's house...
    Oh and I'll never forget how my brother also used to make me play other games such as MechWarrior, A-10 Cuba, F-22 something, Total Annihilation, DarkReign...and plenty of others I can't think of right now... -_-''

edit: Oh and Doom. How could I forget? Played a bit of the first one on a demo sick and I got motion sickness so badly...+_+ Bad memories with that...

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    How could I have possably have left out:

Arcanum: Of Magick and Steamwork Obscura (so far the only game I have found that let you wear a suit, top hat and cast spells at the same time)

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2

Total Anhilation: Kingdoms

Marvolus Marvin: Now this one you probably wouldn't have heard of. It was an Amiga game from about 10 years ago.

11. Cheesegear Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I have a special spot in my heart for
    - Sam 'n Max Hit the Road
    -- It was some hilarious dialogue when I was like, five or six.
    - Commander Keen Series

Let's not forget (in no particular order);
    - Legend of Zelda Series
    - Sonic Series
    - Final Fantasy Series
    - Secret of Mana Series (drool)
    - Arcanum
    - Fallout Series
    - Baldur's Gate Series
    - Planescape: Torment
    - Doom
    - Wolfenstien 3D
    - Quest for Glory Series
    - King's Quest Series
    - Space Quest Series (Roger Wilko...'Nuff Said.)
    - Duke Nukem side-scrollers
    - Mech Warrior Series
    - Neverwinter Nights Series
    - Diablo (Not so much #2 though)
    - Half-Life
    - One Must Fall
    - Killer Instinct
    - Mortal Kombat Series
    - Super Mario World Series
    - Super Mario RPG
    - Yoshi Island
    - Chrono Trigger
    - Ogre Battle (Brilliant Game)
    - Soul Blazer
    - Terranigma
    - Illusion of Gaia
    - Command & Conquer (Original Game)
    - StarCraft
    - WarCraft Series
    - Theme Hospital (Made me laugh all those years ago)
    - House of the Dead
    - Virtua Cop
    - Time Crisis
    - Carmaggeddon

...I think I'll stop. Roger Wilko brought back many memories. So did King's Quest Series...Damn those puzzles. They took me hours.

12. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Games which meant a lot?

Sonic the Hedgehog - my first computer game!

Command & Conquer - the first PC game I ever played, and also my first strategy game.

Mortal Kombats 2 & 3 - I played these over and over... got really hooked.

Mechwarrior 2 - I spent ages with this.

Diablo - I hate to say it, but the atmosphere's great, even if it is a horribly shallow game.

Alpha Centauri (SMAC) - I'm still playing it (multiplayer), it's IMO one of the greatest TBS games ever.

Ultima VII - such an amazing game! Huge areas to explore, lots of interesting people to talk to, a good storyline (the whole thing is astounding given how old it is)... I actually played this after Ultima IX, and only then did I realise what a travesty the final game in the saga was.

Arcanum - another (almost) free-roam world and great plot, along with huge character customisation. The atmosphere is excellent, and it's different.

Vampire: Bloodlines - again, it's the atmosphere and plot that make me love this game so much. It's also got some of the creepiest scenes I've ever played.

Planescape: Torment - I love the art, the music, the story, the characters, everything.

13. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Same here. Probably the hardest RTS I ever played.

14. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It all began with Mario on NES...It was my very very first gaming experience and I really feel accomplished when I beat it years ago...now I beat it again last week, haven't lost my edge!

Adventure Island II&III on NES...I loved these games, the islands, the stages, the dinasours, the music, the bosses, the fruits...and lovely Tina! Yay! Just for being nostalgic I found the ROMs for these and finished them too!

In the PC, well I have a soft spot for Resident Evil series. Played and finished RE:3 Nemesis soo many times, the game reaaaaly creeeped me out! And it was mighy addictive, the storyline&plot was not linear so that you could see lots of different things...and Nemesis was so scary! RE:2 was very cool too, thanks to different scenarios and two cool characters, awesome (really)hard mode and mini games you can open if you score high enough...I found and played RE:1 lastly, and its atmosphere was really good too!

Played the first Blood? I hate FPS games but this is..I don't know, the graphics are not good, (way better than Doom though!) but the game is great as it has very good atmosphere, the setting and enemies and your character is just awesome! The details...details make this game a gem, like the amount of detailed blood and entrails showered on you when you throw a TNT to a bunch of zombies..the so deviously designed stages and secrets....the dark, scary and sick humour everywhere! The occasional whispers which chill you...Man I do so love this game, this is the only FPS I can play!

Dungeon Keeper 2:This is the only strategy game I will ever enjoy! I worshipped this game, it is cool, funny, different and exciting!

Arcanum:Though it had many bugs, this game deserves special mention. This game thought me what a ROLE playing game is, I really role played my character...the world was magnificient, and unique! The story line was very good and mysterious! Music was just classy! Ahh this game is very nice, and it alone made me curious about other RPG games! See:'what is an elf?' :shake:

Heroes of Might&Magic:I played the third one and it was very good! Just loved the single scenarios though, campaigns were too difficult for me. :p The story telling was awesome though, and the strategical options were great! My favourite was the dungeon city, gotta love the power! Also enjoyed the zillion expansion packs of 3. 4 was, ehh, though I really hated the graphics and battle system..also I did not like that I could not create all monsters available in a city, it was not cool to make a decision between minos an medusas! :( 5 I never touched, too modern and 3d for me! :p

Diablo 2:this is highly addictive, I spent many months playing with my sorceress, had a very powerful build in the end, but then it gets boring and repeatitive...the newest patches really made the game more appalling thanks to skill synergies, increased difficulty, and I played for a few months again BUT now I will NEVER play this game again, less I get hooked and spend too much time again for nothing, TYVM. I played and finished D1 once, and I am suprise how non-linear that game can be, it was cool!

I first played IWD2 in IE games and fell in love with it, though I had no idea about D&D rules and all...IWD2 is THE game which made me love D&D and it encouraged me to learn more about it.

I eventually found BG2 too as I heard about it so much. What can I say? I was impressed, hooked, finished it a few times and then I was able to get the expansion too! Woot, playing again with my old characters was fun! Then, ofcourse, I discovered the moddign community, and there are so many cool mods to improve battles/quests/NPCs it is totally cool! There are still mods in progress for this game!

Then I got IWD. I liked the simple and beautiful 2e rules of BG2 better so I really liked IWD! The story was so nostalgic, it was like a prequel to IWD2, the characters I know from IWD2 was here, but younger, and alive, etc. A friend (if he reads this, TY again!) lended me the expansion and I got ToTLM from the net, this added up soo many gaming hours of fun to such a great game!

PST:This game is far, far different than other IE games, it is deeper, and looks cooler! The setting is truly alien to me but I learn fast and like the oddities around! I can not continue the plot though, my CD3 is cracked so I will have to wait summer to borrow from my friend...I intend to finish this to see the 'greatest story' ever you guys are talking about!

Then finally, I got BG! And then ToTSC! YAY! I now have the BG saga! I finished it once unmodded, now I am playing it with a bunch of cool mods like Easy TuTu (awesome!) NPC mod (superb work!) and SCStrategems (coolness!) and I am having so much fun! There are so many things I missed in the first try, and the game is huge, with the expansion and mods this is one of the best games ever! I am planning on continuing with my current character to BG2 with new mods (waiting for IA V.4!) and then ToB and ooh I will finish the entire saga with same character! Cool! BG saga rocks!

15. Latro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Lode Runner (on an Amiga 2000 with an amber screen; if I close my eyes I can still see 'them' running)
    Tetris (I don't remeber why I played this so much then, ping)
    Rail Road Tycoon (the first 'builder game')
    Gary Grigsby's War in Russia (nice strategy game if you lack a human FTF oponent)
    Civilization (the game I had always dreamed of before !)
    Master of Orion (Civ in space)
    Master of Magic (Civ with magic; I am still waiting for MoM 2)
    Wing Commander 3 (what graphics, and a storyline filmed with real actors; the only action game I ever liked to play; I even bought my first Pentium PC to be able to play it)
    CivNet (at last I could play Civ together with my wife - but it didn't help)
    Civilization 2 (Civ with "3D graphics")
    Master of Orion 2 (the most complete TBS game ever made; I still play it once in a while)
    Alpha Centauri (Civ with a brilliant background story and opponents with real personality; unfortunately the graphics were not so good even then)
    Panzer General 3D (a very well done and fun TBS game on WW2)
    Norm Koeger's Operational Art of War 2 (the most realistic TBS game on WW2, but so complex that it is work)
    BG 2 + TOB (the game that brought me to Sorcerer's Place)
    BG, IWD, IWD 2, PS:T (on the search for something like BG2 ...)
    Civilization 3 (Civ with a real tough AI)
    Spell Force (nice mixture of RTS and RPG, the only RTS game I ever liked to play)
    NWN (I didn't like it at first because it's no BG2; but since then it grew on me; there are so many brilliant fan made modules available now)
    Civilization 4 (a fresh new approach to Civ)
    The Broken Hourglass (hopefully as good as BG2)

16. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Top 3 Game Experiences

1) The very time I completed Super Mario Brothers in under 2 minutes or was it 5 minutes.

2) Completing Zelda - The orginal

3) Beating Baldur's Gate

17. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Dune2 - even played it and finished it a year ago. Can you say no group selection!!!

Transport Tycoon - nothing like your own rail network.

Sonic games and Megaman games (all series especially X). The megaman sagas are brilliant, pity I dont have a ps2 though.

Diablo 2 - they should put warnings on this game, cos its the most addictive thing ever made. more addictive than a cocktail of heroine and cocaine (not that I would know actually).

Finishing the original Syndicate and beating that Atlantic Accelerator level - damn hard. then I saw the ending, or lack thereof.

Winning a copy of rise of nations free and realizing its actually a damn good game.

Missing a lunch (and I never like missing lunch) cos I was too busy playing Civ3.

C&C generals, and C&C generals multiplayer - many laughs.

Blood2 singleplayer and multiplayer - funniest game ever.

Starcraft multiplayer (singleplayer campaign was excellent too, but not as many memories).

The first game I ever bought - Blake Stone, Aliens Of Gold.

18. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

best strategy RPGs and best games all categories: Shining force 1 & 2 - the best games ever made! They have everything: great story, interesting characters, pefectly working battle system, perfect controls, wonderful graphics and sound, humor and good party optimazion chances to get a party of your style (30 characters to chose from in both games, a party can have up to 12).

Best computer-RPG: IWD2 - Don't know how many hours I've spent on planning parties for this game... and add to that all the ingame time to actually "build up" those characters...

Best console-RPG (no strategy-RPGs): Too many good ones here that I've spent many hours on. Maybe Chrono Trigger?

action/adventure: golden axe - A great game I played a lot on my Mega Drive (genesis in the US). Takes about 15 min to play through, but lasts long since you always want to play again.

Racing game: sega rally - Still a wonderful game. The controls are unmatched.

Fighting game: Virtua Fighter 2 - although later games in the series are also great.

Puzzle game: Baku Baku animals - chu chu rocket comes in as a close second.

FPS: golden eye 007- anyone that played it on n64 knows what I'm talking about...

other shooters: Panzer dragoon series (saga excluded since it's not a shooter, but it's still a great game).

real-time strategy: command & conquer - the first one is still the best in the series although Red Alert and C&C generals - Zero Hour are also great games.

Sports game: ice hockey on Nintendo

19. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My favorites more or less in order of playing.

Betrayal at Krondor
    Betrayal in Antara
    Caesar III
    Balders Gate
    Balders Gate II/SoA
    Stronghold
    The Age of Empire games
    Civilization III
    IWD
    IWD II-actual I'm not that crazy about the game but it created Nakia Nightshadow and brought me to SP so holds a special place in my heart.
    Balders Gate II/ToB
    Pharoah/Cleopatra
    Arcanum
    The Culture Games by Funatics
    The Anno Domini games (1602AD etc)
    Planetscape/Torment
    Immortal Cities-Children of the Nile
    Morrowind and Bloodmoon-add a few player plug-ins and it is a fantastic game.
    Oblivion-Knights of the Nine - I wasn't that fond of Oblivion but with Knights of the Nine and a couple of player plug-ins the game is great.

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'll go by chronological order:

Dune II (1992-1994)
    My first RTS

Doom (1993-1995)
    My first FPS

Syndicate (1993-1994)
    My first tactical 3rdPS

Flame Dragon 2 (1994-1995)
    My first non-english TBS

Diablo (1995-2000)
    My first action RPG

Heroes Of Might & Magic II (1996-1997)
    My first english TBS

Dungeon Keeper (1997-1998)
    My first god sim

Quake (1998-1999)
    My first multiplayer FPS

Baldur's Gate 2 (1999-2003)
    My first RPG

Jagged Alliance 2 (2000-2006)
    My first RPG/TBS

Not a lot of truely great gaming experiences post 2000... not surprising really.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.