1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizardry 8

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enagonios, May 29, 2006.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Should I get it or not? Gamespot gave it a 9.1 which is very high and the comments there were pretty positive. However it's in 3d and in 1st person view and I'm not too keen on either.

So, to those that've played this: Knowing the games I enjoy (Bioware and Black Isle games that we have forums for) and some other stuff like the KotOR series, do you think I'd enjoy this game? Are the RPG elements good enough? Is the story good enough?

2. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you are into turn-based combat, then yes, you should get it, the character development is good, the story is decent, it's VERY hard though.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I certainly recommend it. Stunning graphics, ambitious and yet coherent story line.

It is however a very challenging game. The monster difficulty scaling makes the combat more challenging than that of BG2 (absent a mod).

It also requires a lot of micromanagement of your party. A lot of skills and attributes to manage. Its very easy to condemn yourself from the word go with an inferior party that just doesn't work well together as a team. The manual by itself probably won't tell you what you need to know.

You either have to learn by trial and error, or consult a fan site.

I can recommend:

http://www.flamestryke.com/wizardry8/flamestrykes_w8.html

It has a very flexible link system so that you can access only the party creation info without accessing the spoilers.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks guys. I picked it up and have gotten through the intro portion already. Getting brought to near death by roaches sucks let me tell you :rolleyes:

My party:

Dracon Fighter
    Dwarf Valkyrie
    Elven Bishop
    Gnome Gadgeteer
    Hobbit Bard
    Mook Ranger

What do you guys think? Would you recommend multi-classing? Which class mixes and what levels? Thanks guys.

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

After reading this I've ordered it as well, should arrive by the weekend. Now I just need more time.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Cool. After checking the site Beren gave me I've decided to overhaul my party :rolleyes:

Let me know how your game progresses once you get it DS

7. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Does this game work on XP?

8. DarkStrider

Not sure Colthrun, I'm running XP with SP2, I got the game yesterday, installed it, put the patch on (just in case). I then put disc 1 in, pressed play and it gave me a message saying "please insert correct cd". Putting discs 2 and 3 they got straight to explorer.

I'll uninstall it tonight and try again without the patch, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope on this.

9. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The game works for me on XP
    The game becomes more easy if you keep protection spells like Magic Screen, Enchanted Blade etc up at all time .
    Also make sure you have at least one class that can cast Elemental Shield ,Soul Shield ,Summon Elemental .

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Game is working for me on xp as well. I've just arrived in Arnika with an average party level of about 9, meh, weak as kittens.

11. Setzer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Nice to see others just getting into this one as well! :)

I was reading a thread on another forum about good CRPG's and this game was mentioned quite a bit and somehow I overlooked it when it came out in 2001. There weren't very many copies selling on ebay and I thought I was going to have to get in a bidding war but luckily my Brother still had his copy of the game and I picked it up from him on Friday.

A couple of things I did pick up while browsing threads over at the VNBoards is that the Combat mod and Lana's Flamestryke mod are a must. The combat mod increases the pace of combat which I guess is pretty slow and the Flamestryke mod adds new items & spells. I got both of those mods here:

Wolfie's Wizardry 8 Info Site

Now that I got those installed I'm ready to play this game but first comes the fun but difficult part - making a party of 6 characters. I'm trying to decide which classes to take that will give me the best game experience possible. I'm not out for the most powerful, I just wanna have some fun and get the most outta of this game as possible. So I was thinking of going with the following:

Fighter - straight Fighter or Lord
    Fighter - Lord or Samurai
    Thief - Rogue or Assassin
    Healer - Priest or Bishop
    Nuker - Mage or Bishop
    Ranged - Gadgeteer or Ranger

I've heard Bard is a good class to bring along as well and I thought about ditching the Thief and putting a Bard in its place but I don't know how important lockpicking and disarming traps are in this game. Anyways, there's alot of character depth to this game - I still haven't decided on Races let alone what skills are important. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions or recommendations?

Really looking forward to playing this! I was a big fan of the M&M games and this looks right along those lines.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I've got a mage, ninja, fighter, ranger, bard and psionicist right now. A bard would definitely be useful since the use of bard instruments doesn't require mana/energy like spells. I guess right now my only real drawback with this party is it's lack of tanks. And as was said earlier in the thread, this game is pretty damn hard.

13. Setzer Gems: 1/31

Well, I read through some of the Party info on Flamestryke's web site(linked above) and from the sounds of it the ideal party would be a small party(2-4 members). I guess XP is divided equally among all party members and with fewer members you'll get more for each of them thus allowing them to advance further than they would in a 6 man party. Probably the only disadvantage would be encumberance in that you wouldn't be able to carry as much as you would in a full party.

Then again, if you say the game is hard then going with fewer than 6 may make it even harder.

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

I like playing the demo, but not enough to actually buy the game.

15. DarkStrider

@Fel for a tenner ($16) I thought well worth it

Well I managed to install, didn't put the patch on and it works (woohoo). Created my first party

Dracon Fighter
    Dwarf Lord
    Hobbit Rogue
    Mook Bard
    Rawulf Priest
    Faerie Mage

And dived straight in, no reading manuals, faqs for me, and now I have a question on Combat. Whilst in combat mode how do I move forward or backward etc, I was in the Castle(?) on the beach and fighting a noxious slime, it was over there and I was here, but I couldn't figure out how to get closer to bring my tanks into play? :(

16. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Right click moves your front camera view. Left click, held in conjuntion with the r-click pointing the way, moves the party in the direction of where the r-click sets the view.

If this doesn't quite make sense, try holding the r-click and move your mouse around, and then hold the left click down at the same time to see what happens.

17. DarkStrider

Thanks Beren, I understand and will try this evening :)

18. Setzer Gems: 1/31

Well, after lots of researching I think I'm fairly close as to what my party's going to be...

Fighter or Lord/Dracon/Male
    Bard or Rogue/Human/Female
    Monk/Human/Female
    Priest or Bishop/Rawulf/Male
    Ranger/Mook/Male
    Mage/Faerie/Female

I only have 3 classes that I've decided on and the other 3 I'm still thinking about. Some people say that Lords are difficult to develop but he reminds me of a Paladin and I like Paladins. Also heard that Bards are invaluable to parties but Rogues do some badass damage with backstab attacks. And the Bishop I read is weak in the early stages of the game and doesn't really come into his own until later in the game, where as a Priest is fairly easy to develop and is useful from the get go.

Anyone have any suggestions?

19. Incarnate Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If you take the bard there will be no one to lockpick , so either you take a rogue/ninja or you change the ranger to a gadgeteer ,getting Magic Screen and Heal All fast makes life easy so a priest is quite good but having a bishop will allow you eventually to cast the most useful spells of each class (haste etc ) , in this game casters have a more support role ,offensive magic will become less effective as the game progresses and do not neglect divine magic for the mage

20. Setzer Gems: 1/31

I thought Bards could lockpick? I want to keep the Ranger because I like someone with good ranged attack plus he's always searching and I don't have to put my party in danger by manually keeping it on.

It sounds like both the Priest and Bishop are good. Which one would you take? Which one is better?

I'll remember that tip about Divine magic for the Mage -- thanks!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.