1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arcanum: of steamworks... advice needed

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Cúchulainn, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Some technical and gameplay advice is needed please.

Technical - I exceed the requirements by lots, have the patch installed, yet its still slow in places, any advice?

Gameplay - I am a constant restarter, so I would like a good starting character, so any advice on stats, abilities, magic, technologies would be very welcome, the rest I will figure out as I come to it :D

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I don't think I can help on that techincal part but I can offer some gameplay advice.

Never ever create a main character that goes meele. Allways have him use either firearms or a bow, playing a meele character will get very very annoying as there are monsters with the annoying habit of tearing your weapons to pieces. My personal favorite is an elven mage (specialized) armed with a bow. It can deal with slower (weaponbreaking) monsters quite easily with hit-and-run tactics and summon a couple of ogres to bash the life out of faster creatures.

I never liked the technology part too much for the main character. It seems somewhat weaker than magic and firearms are not much better than a bow. The schematics are nice but most useful items can be made only in the later parts of the game which makes the earlier parts too annyoing for my liking.

3. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Those monsters are quite rare, though, and you can always bring with you a rusty sword or something with you to deal with them.

An Elf with skills in bows, dodge, necromantic white/dark magics and persuasion will be more than enough to get you through the game.
    Spend the remaining skillpoints on whatever you want as long as it isn't skills involving technology, since it will make your magic less effective.

Good luck in playing this great game! :thumb:

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Try running Arcanum in Safe Mode (the option should be in the Arcanum program group) and see if the performance improves. The only thing you'll miss will be some of the spell animations, I think.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

The problem with that is of course that rusty weaponry do sucky damage and fall apart even more easily than magical weapons. And yes there are not that many of these monsters, but there are couple of places swarming with them, and in those places a ranged weapon on your main character (and leaving the rest of the part behind while you deal with them) can spare you from a lot of frustration.

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

None of that magic elven pantsy. Take a dwarf specializing in guns, gun smithy and a technology of your choice. The schemes lying around in Arcanum are one of the best things of the game. As the description says, the elephant gun will take care of even a stampeding elephant when handled correctly :D

7. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

No way! A sniper rifle is waaaay better than a elephant gun! :p

8. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Harm, Heal (and possible Great Heal), Cure Poison, Agility of Fire, Shield of Protection.

Stupidly powerful, if you want to go that way.

Tech's more fun, though, because it's not such a common RPG choice.

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Thanks for the advice everyone!

10. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

From Steven W. Carters Walktrhough that can be found at www.gamefaqs.com

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

A pickpocket question - Is this a good skill worth investing in e.g. can you steal good items like BG2 (no details please!), and can you plant poison, potions etc on people and have them drink them?

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The slowdown happens no matter your computer. It is a "bug". There were tmies I couldnt move around in hte capital city due to the lag like slow down. There is some bug fix that helps it a little but it never gets good.

13. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

Get the patch if you haven't already! Fixes a lot of bugs in the game and it also adds a new background!

Yes, there are a lot of good stuff you can steal.
    Quite a few quest can be solved through pick pocketing.

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Got the patch, then downgraded to DX8 and it works much better but I can live with the problem, as it seems to be a great game.

15. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

If your skill is high enough, you can plant ticking bombs in their pockets, run away and watch the fireworks :evil:

16. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

I was put off from this game because its interface was larger than the game view.

I need a new game, perhaps I'll try it again after I finish Mercenaries.

17. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I never got round to finishing it. Is it actually as open a game-world as it appears? If it is, I'll have to divert some energy into completing it in the most ridiculous way possible.

18. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I could never get past the fact that hitting the .exe and the game actually booting were separated by around 8 minutes. The patch didn't solve it, and it's definitely not my computer(Athlon 3200+ and 1GB RAM). If anyone knows a fix to this, I'd appreciate it, because this certainly looks like a great game.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Try Terra-Arcanum, one of SP's hosted sites.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh yeah, it took AGES to load the freaking game. You hit the exe and then went for a bit of a snack, a trip to the bathroom and when you went back the game might have started.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.