1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Original or Ripped PC Games?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Kelvon Shadowmane, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Are most of your computer games original or ripped?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 75 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Original or Ripped PC Games? (75 votes.)

Are most of your computer games original or ripped PC games? (Choose 1)
    * All original! - 25% (19)
    * Mostly original. - 49% (37)
    * Beats me... - 3% (2)
    * Mostly ripped. - 21% (16)
    * All ripped! - 1% (1)

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    At this point in time about 60% of my PC games are the real deal. But that number decreases every time I go to a LAN Party. :eek: :rolling:

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

All of mine are original . . . I have an old computer, so all the games I want & can run are sufficiently ancient to be on budget for about a fiver anyway, so even as a student I'd have to be uber-tight not to just buy them. £5 / £10 for a game is way better value than £13 for an album (unless it's Metallica - S&M or Nirvana - Unplugged . . . Priceless works of art as far as I'm concerned!), thus I'm not as 'pure' when it comes to my music collection ;)

Ultimately, though, I'll pay for it if I think it's worth it. I downloaded (illegally) all of Mer de Noms by a Perfect Circle, and listened to it so much I thought Maynard, Paz et al deserved some of my hard-earned (ok, HM's Government gave it to me) cash, so went out & bought the CD.

4. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In the country that I live, medium wage (not minimum!) is about 100 Euros, and I'm not in for antiques, so about 90% of my games are 'dirty'.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

A couple are really legit.
    A large number I got off the black market. There really is no alternative since few of the games I'm interested in are released here. Or are then affordable.
    A few I have received from friends or the net.

6. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

100% real! :cool:

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Mine are original. Some are discounted but stil legit. Four were downloaded. Two were free and two I paid for. I assume the two I paid for were from a legitmate source. The link came from the official game site.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Right now all my games are paid for but I have downloaded tons of games on filesharing programs. Stuff like Far Cry/Doom3 etc, damn glad I didn't buy them as well!

9. Blog Gems: 23/31

All my old games (pre-2000 ish) are bought from stores, complete with boxes and manuals, etc. And there are a lot of them, too many to count.

In the last five years or so, almost all the games I got are not bought. For computer games, it's not an excessive amount, but I did get a good number of old platform games on emulators.

So I'm not clear on which side of the fence I'm on (I voted Beats me...). But if I HAD to pick a side, I would go mostly original because I have more old games than new.

[EDIT]Just noticed the name of the thread specifies PC games. Oops, then all the emulated platform games don't really count. In that case, I'd definitely be on the mostly original side. [/EDIT]

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    All original. It probably helps that I'm 1-2 years behind on games, so I buy them all at a discount, but even if I were current, I'd still buy them - stealing just ain't right. :p

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

About 75% of my games are original, but since I have recently began to notice how little effort the companies are willing to invest to already sold games, I have begun to favour game-images more and more. As to the music... I would never buy a single CD. For any reason.

RIAA, GIAA, and others really ruin the reputation of their industry, not mention that companies like Valve seem to treat their customers like dirt. :nolike:

12. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I only have two games on my computer at the moment. 50% is clean and the rest is "borrowed"...

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I believe in paying for games. Music on the other hand......

14. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Most of mine are original. I have a couple of games that my brother purchased and made copies for me but they are definitely in the minority.

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Every game that I have is 100% original. I've never even installed a file-sharing program onto my computer.

As for music CDs, once again it's all 100% legitimate. I can get any CD that I want legally for under $10, after all.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm not really sure what "ripped" means. I assume from the above posts that it means that the game is copied from someone else (or stolen from someone else?). In any case, I only have 6 PC games and they are all original copies, although a few of them were purchased second hand.

17. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I pay for games (to keep the pc game industry chugging along... doin my part :D ), but I despise paying for music too.

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

A bit of both. I have rips as well as paid for games. Whenever a game is high on my list, i go to a store and pay for it. However, i usually wait a while, until it's in the bargainbins. I think i paid only 10€ for BG2 together with ToB, and the other day i came home with Dungeon Siege, Praetorians, and Neverwinter Nights, all together for a little less than 20€. Now those are pretty good deals. Unfortunately the games come more and more without the manual when you buy them from the bargainbins, but if i have to make a choice of buying it when it's fairly new WITH the manual for 50€, or 6 months later WITHOUT the manual for 10€, i say to hell with the manual. :D

19. teekc Gems: 23/31

Almost all my games with me now in u.s. are ripped because i keep my original ones at home, malaysia.

20. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    No "ripped" games per se, but a large (really, REALLY large!) number are truly ancient, and as such were downloaded from Abandonware sites (mainly Home of the Underdogs). All CD games are originals. I also have some really fun stuff on floppies, including Countdown (from Access) on eight 5.25-inch floppies... because each one could only take 325 kBytes :p

I have a group of friends into gaming, and we borrow a lot of stuff from each other. By borrowing I mean legal borrowing, i.e. I take the original game, play it, then give it back. Nowadays I only buy things I know I will replay, and there aren't that many things I want to play to begin with.

[ February 15, 2005, 16:22: Message edited by: Ziad ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.