1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Names

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by the assassin, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I just do stuff backwards. Try your own name at home! Mine is Nivek - sounds kinda
    viking-epic-heroic to me... leaping atop the
    rampart with an humeric yawp, swinging his 3-handed broad-axe of crisp viking defiant justice - YAWP!

Ahem - sorry, got carried away. Later.

Nivek the sated-cuz-I-just-had-lunch.

2. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] This is from Dan Simpson's walkthrough of BG1:

Method 1:
    Take an exisiting last name, and make it a first name.
    Ex: Corbin, Martens, Miller.
    Obviously this doesn't work with all last names, and it also tends to skew
    mostly male.

Method 2:
    You can also make interesting names by taking an existing name, such as Kate,
    and flipping some letters around to make a new name, Kaet.

Method 3:
    Somewhat similar to method 2, this one merely involves adding useless vowels.
    Try adding an 'a' before an 'e' or an 'i' after an 'e'. Take the name Patrick
    for example. It will become Paetrick.

Method 4:
    Another fun thing to try is to simply add a new "flourish" to an existing
    name. For example we start with "Nate" and add the "flourish" "ylia" to make
    the new name "Natylia".

Method 5:
    Start with another word, say the number "Seven". Replace the vowels with new
    vowels to make "Sivan". Now if you want to make it feminine add an "y" (or
    something similar) to the end to make "Sivany". Or try this, start with the
    word "talent". Replace the first 't' with a "th" and then replace the 'e'
    with an 'a'. You now have "Thalant", which is a good name, but needs a little
    flourish of "yr" to finish it "Thalantyr".

Method 6: (from MartectX)
    I found another strategy of making names "fitting the game": Just take an
    existing name backwards! Some examples: Martin - Nitram, Florian - Nairolf,
    Monika - Akinom, Andrea - Aerdna.

3. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Name STRATEGIES?? A name is not a machine-made thing. Unless it's a name generator. Or maybe even then. Ok, the real problem with that sort of thing is that you can't really find a word to start with! (Or at least, I can't). Why does BGII discourage traditional fantasy names?

4. rafael1234 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i always put the name of some god of mitology. my new char name is Sutekh,the evil egyptian god.(homever he is chaotic good)

5. The Grim Ripper Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] oooh tiamat, a sorcerres? Mind If I have her export file? lol

6. DarkCroll Banned

i get mine by:
    i wanted to be evil so i kalled myself just "Dark"
    then i saw the scroll lock button and took away the s
    and it became DarkCroll

7. Pretend Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Phyron was my first character.. lawful good kickass paladin. I made that up in some other game before I think. The word "fire" sounds in his name.. that's why the guy had different fire weapons, shields etc

Da'rok was my evil Kensai which kicked ass even more. "The rock" ;) but I didn't notice it sounds bit same until after I had played awhile.

Pretend.. well it's looooong story. I just it generally everywhere online. But no BG character called Pretend yet.

I always make them up.

8. zantetsuken Guest

If I were an NPC in BG2 I would have come out as a Chaotic Neutral Bard... and that's probably why I get to make all these strange names that just seem to pop out of solid air just like that.
    Some names I've come up with(all BG2 PC names):
    Khaelis' Faeyr (Chaotic Neutral Half-Elf Bard))
    Verrinea (Neutral Good Elf Ranger)
    G' Golath (Lawful Neutral Half-Orc Shaman)
    Quinn' Garron (Neutral Evil Human Conjurer)
    Kargonis (Lawful Evil Mage-Thief)
    Rhyellen (Chaotic Good Halfling Thief)
    Fargoth 'Khlyver (Neutral Good Human Fighter)
    As you can see, I generally come up with names with apostrophe... and strange second names. They just pop in and fit.(???)

9. Auger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree with some of the others that using your name backward is fun...too bad my name is Bob.

10. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

*laughs!*

11. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Bob's a good name! I (almost) always used it while playing Fallout 1&2.
    My next BG2 character is probably going to be a short-tempered dwarf with the name Nanuv Yabisnes:D

12. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I'm not sure where I got it, but a long time ago I found a pc program called EBON (the Everchanging Book Of Names) which quite cleverly is composed of different names from books and what-not (such as Lord Of The Rings) seperateds the names into fragments, and re-binds them to another, e.g. take Mobius and Jediah, it would probably make something like Mobiah or Jedius or some hideous hybrid between the two, but it doesn't just have two names, it has hundreds divided into roughly 10 categories (such as angelic and high elven and dwarven), if any-one has heared of the program, you know what im talking about.

My other way of name creation is by looking through a few books based on sci-fi or fantasy, which I have found many from, such as my Username: Enthaius, which was created from an old book I found, Enthasius being a elderly mage.

13. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

My current character actually has a name I'm pleased with.. doesn't happen too often. Rilebold. I have no idea where I got it from, but I have a strong feeling I stole it from somewhere. Rilebold is a gnome, and I dunno if that name suits a gnome, but then again I don't know anything about gnomes really.

14. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

In my p'n'p games of Ad&d, Gnomes & halflings are renowned to having odd names (just look at Mazzy Fentan and good old Jan Jansen, both are good yet different names from the norm)

15. Gibben Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmmm, I like the idea of my real name, backward -- I could be a drunk named hct'elf, being my real name is Fletch . . . though, using the full name of Fletcher could be a problem, as nobody likes a retching elf.

. . . people playing 'rock, scissors, paper' over who's going to have to hold his hair back, and elves are always eating things that should, really, never be re-visited . . . . ;)

16. zaknafein Guest

i just nicked my name straight from the book homeland and exile. i am the zaknafein do urden the great drow warrior. im amazed that drizzt didnt kill me on the spot for that name

17. Enthasius Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Semi SPOILER

He does if you call yourself Drizzt and have a poor reputation.

[This message has been edited by Enthasius (edited September 18, 2001).]

18. Mine's called Boreskyr. I don't know where it came from, but is there a Boreskyr Bridge somewhere?

19. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Yes i believe the Boareskyr bridge appears in the Avatar trilogy of books, just outside the city where Bane gets killed by Torm.

And this screen name was partly inspired by Wildfires name (which i thought sounded cool) and that i had been using Phoenix for a while and it had something to do with fire (From greek myth)

Right now im using Xavier for my char, and i think it suits him better than that old geezer from X-Men (cool comic, though)

20. zantetsuken Guest

Phoenix - one of the most famous symbols of immortality through the rebirth by fire, it is an Avatar of sorts that resembles a magnificent bird bathed in fire...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.