1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lionheart

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Jesper898, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Just got this game yesterday, and I'm curious if anyone else plays it.

I can't understand why everyone says it sucks, it's an awesome game. :D

2. Sirus Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I believe later on the game becomes a hack fest.

3. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

don't try to be an archer, its not fun to fire one arrow and then see the monsters standing right next to you. and the npc suck, they cant level up and they are only their for minor quests. The story is okay, but the games turns into a very bad diablo clone later on. I never finished it and i haven't thought about trying. the world itself is brilliant and the graphic is good, but the games itself gets very boring.

4. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

I'm using a sword, so I'm not having too much troubles.

Is it just me or does those snakewomen at Montserrat look EXACTLY like the Yuan-Ti in Icewind Dale 2?

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Jesper898, I played the game a while ago. The first half, the one you're in, is a real joy. It is a lot of fun to play, if very hard. The problem comes when you leave Barcelona in a bit. The game beciomes an extended hackfest. No quests, just relentless enemies.

On top, companions become next to worthless. I stopped trying to keep them alive, and soloed the rest of the game. I do enjoy the game, but the second half was so hard, and so boring, it tarnished the gaem.

Not trying to put you off buddy, but giving fair warning.

6. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

Actually I just crossed the Pyrenees(sp) and I'm still having a great time :)

7. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

yeah that second town you get to is kinda fun, i liked the whole giant quest....wow I'm almost feeling up to giving this game a second chance. I mean if I play it like diablo (powergaming) it can't be worse than Diablo and I played through dungeon siege and as far as i remember this game is better.

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I've been through the game three times already, it's a good game. The reason why so many people say it sucks, is that it's a Bioware game, and they probably thought it was gonna be something like BG. People need to quit comparing every RPG with BG, that's simply not fair.

I thought that Lionheart was more entertaining than Icewind Dale 2, which was too hectic at times. The fact that you play solo is also more appealing to me.

9. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

isn't lionheart a blackisle and interplay only game, as far as i know bioware didn't have anything to do with it.

oh well i'm going to give it anĂ³ther try

10. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31

@Pac Man: Yeah, I also think it's because people compare it to BG.

Black Isle/Reflexive made it, not Bioware.

And to think I got this great game for 100 kr (16$) :D

Seriously, did they copy the Yuan-Ti animations into Lionheart? I swear those Snakebreeds look exactly like the Yuan-Ti.

[ July 05, 2004, 03:45: Message edited by: Jesper898 ]

11. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It was fun during the first half and becomes hack-n-slash for the second half. Seemed like they ran out of stories/quests.

12. ToTaL Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Well, i liked it at first, but not for long... Story was nice, implemented parts from real history, i like that in games, but i disliked mechanics (game system...)

13. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I rented it for a while and the start wasn't bad. I killed all the famous persons in the game, with Shakespeare accidently so I figured 'What the heck'. I ended up being chased everywhere in Barcelona but couldn't leave yet, so I quit. I didn't want to start over.

Truly an entertaining game. BTW no one said it sucked, it was just worse then BG & IWD, but certainly not bad. (like full voice acting!)

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I think it was a waste of time making that game. Just think people, the time they spent making that could have been devoted to Fallout 3 or something.

It was horrible to see the SPECIAL system (the RPG statistics system) used in a real-time setting without a pause function. SPECIAL isn't designed for that! It's supposed to be far more tactical than just hack'n'slash.

If they used the Fallout: Tactics engine for that game it would have been so much better... and if they didn't make it a slash-fest for the last half of the game (obvious sings of a release-date anyone?).

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Lionheart was a nice game. It had major faults as an RPG, but as an RPG/Hackfest hybrid it wasn't bad at all.
    What really bugs me though is the potential this game had. Given the right specs(and better graphics) this game won't have much problem catching up with BG2...

Once you get the hang of it the game isn't that hard to play. By me second run I had made an overpowered character, the Luck Archer. So far I haven't found a character build that can match this one's... the more powerful ones are variations of it.

16. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I was going to make a thread about this game, but it seems it has been heard of :o Anyways....

I'm kinda surprised by all the comments and reviews I've seen on the net for it, mostly slamming the game, in criticising it's graphics, it's gameplay, and everything else. Personally I'd never heard of the game til, hmm, less than a week ago, I guess, when I actually got paid, one of the local computer game stores had a sale on, and I saw this game "Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader" and I was like, hang on I thought Black Isle folded, cos the game was still selling for $50 Australian, and they had a few copies of it, so I thought maybe they hadn't folded, but looking at this thread it's an old game. But I managed to pick it up with ToEE, 2 for $50, which was good. ToEE is still selling for 50-60 Australian believe it or not :o Anyway, I digress....

My personal opinion on the game, mind you I've only played it for a couple of hours, I'm still in Barcelona, but I went out wandering the countryside, and got a lot of xp killing the bandits and doing the signpost guards quests for him :) Well anyway, given it's age, I thought the graphics and storyline was quite good. I know people see it or try to see it as a BG1/2 game, because Black Isle had a hand in it, but to be honest, I wasn't expecting a BG1/2 game, a roleplaying sort of thing yes, something along the lines of Morrowwind I guess, (which at the moment, I'll admit I'm not a big fan of it(Morrowwind), mainly cos it's almost impossible to run on WinXP with only 128mb of ram, it's too memory intensive and resource hoggy), I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the feel of it. I've played many different CRPG's and RL RPG's, using different stat systems, so the stat system didn't bother me. What I did notice was it had some comparisons in I guess character creation of Morrowwind, but I think it's better in character creation. As for the BG1/2 thing, well I got the feel of even just wandering round Barcelona, getting the quests, etc, well to me anyway, it had a very BG2:SoA/ToB feel to it in atmosphere, and quests. The quests for progress and completion are done nicely in a log book, especially letting you know when you've failed one.

Anyway, I think I've rambled on enough, but I'd definitely give Lionheart the thumbs up in most aspects if not all, maybe I will find out it's hack and slash down the track, but I figure depending on how you build your character depends really on how hack and slash and how effective you are, cos of course it's always easy to screw your character up with wrong choices.

I do almost wonder how long it's been released in Australia given it was still a little pricey, I'm guessing for whatever reason not long, but I could be wrong, I know we're still flooded with BG1/2, IWD1/2 and also from memory 5 sets of NWN :o , we have like NWN on it's own, then each expansion on it's own, then the gold edition which is NWN+1st expansion, then the platinum edition which is NWN+1st+2nd expansions. Can anyone say overkill :rolleyes:

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What's wrong with this game?

1 - Ranged attack is impossible. Monster running too fast, character running too slow. More worse, you have to be on target to fire. Comparing with the "shift + left click" alternate arrow firing, what this game is offering, it seems, does not went through serious testing to make sure all system works find at all angle.

2 - It is a down hill drive. Barcelona is fantastic, but it is the only thing this game can offer. It will never get better. After that, two things will hunt you. The game gets boringly linear, just go there, kill everyone, move to next area, kill everyone, move to next area .... The difficulty level goes up according y = e square, it just flies up. You woulnd't have infinitive monster to level up and the monster you are fighting gets waaaay above you league. Many were fed up just playing it.

18. Jechor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

teekc, I don't think that lot of crap you just said dignifies a response or a reaction.

all i will say, is if you think things are too fast, run a program like cpukiller to slow things down. personally, i have a amd athlon 2400 and i have no problem whatsoever with the speed. speed is not an issue.

as for the archer thing, well someone already explained above its possible, obviously if i go on what they say, you didnt know how to build your ranged attacker properly

as for the down hill drive, again like i mentioned in my post, if you didnt build your character correctly to begin of course youre going to struggle.

as for your linear comment, you can't tell me, bg1, bg2, iwd1, and iwd2 arent linear, cos if you're going to tell me they are not linear, then im sorry but you need help mate.

theres holes in everyone of your arguments, and prveious posts before mine have put holes in your arguments as have my two posts. if you dont like the game thats your problem, not mine or anyone else who likes and enjoys the game.

end of story.

19. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

I played this game last summer, and enjoyed it, but got bored trying to keep my companions alive in the area with Nostradamus. I went back to it a few weeks ago, gave up trying to save my NPC's, got to the crypt at last, and got bored cleaving my way through the millions of undead. I will probably complete this game at some point in the future, but not for a little while.

20. Newfie Banned

I agree with the masses here: this game had a great thing going until it turned into a hackfest. Very diabloesque in a lot of ways, but tougher. I was blown away at the start, saying what the hell is all the complaining about: this game rocks! The story was great, but shortlived. I got to the Caverns of Nostradamus and kept getting teleported to those damn alien things in the circular realm. I gave up shortly after: the games' fun and interest factor dropped off dismally and the enemies got ridiculous. It's too bad, a lot of potential.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.