1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst RPG game ever

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Grey Magistrate, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

2. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Worst as in 'most disappointing' game was Neverwinter Nights, partly because I really didn't like the single player campaign, and also because it kept destroying my save games for absolutely no good reason whatsoever.

Worst as in 'by far the most annoying' game was the Temple of Elemental Evil. Can't say for sure if the plot is good, as I couldn't bring myself to finish it. All I know is that the interface had dangerously low usability, and the dialogues were unbelievably bad. Everyone ran around marrying each other after two or three dialogue options. What gives? I liked the straw hats, though. In the end, every character ran around wearing a dress and a funny hat.

[EDIT: Thought I'd mention that I now use the ToEE play CD as a mirror when I shave... :D ]

3. Wreck Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I had to join just to reply to this one. My vote for worst cRPG ever is actually a tie between two.

The first is Descent to Undermountain. If...IF...you were unlucky enough to get the thing to run, it was buggy as all get out. My favorite was the floating/embedded in the ground skeletons. And the continual crashes in the store interfaces.

The second would be Blood & Magic. The thing was labeled as a D&D game. The only thing that that game had in common with D&D is the use of certain words (Cleric, Dungeons & Dragons...). And the game was so ungodly hard that I could never progress past the first mission. Oh, and it crashed my computer every time I quit.

As a side mention, a game that should qualify for worst game ever due to sheer bugginess is Daggerfall. But darn it, that game was just so much fun and so immersive that even after 17 patches, I still love it.

4. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The worst cRPG I ever played was a game called Soulbringer. But then, I got it in a dual-pack with PS:T so it wasn't a total waste of money.

5. Vengeance Incarnate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Final Fantasy X-2 is the WORST rpg I have ever played. It's so bad that I don't even considered it an rpg, let alone a Final Fantasy. It's just a bunch of annoying sidequests slapped together with no semblance of storyline. It was obvious that no real effort went into it and it was just made to profit from X's success and fund the upcoming FFXII (not to mention pay employees' slaries).

It's so bad it tarnishes the FF name.

..............Time to play a real Final Fantasy, like FFVIII or something.

6. Xerxes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

omg! i've played dink smallwood!!!... it's crap.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I thought Dink Smallwood was hilarious. Not the worst RPG though, cos it was deliberately taking the piss.

8. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Mm I haven't played a huge amount of RPG but I would say the worst one would be IWD2.

9. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I like IWD2 other than the total lack of character development or interaction.

Theres a Playstation 2 game called Eternal Ring that is just crap.

They give away the ending the first five minutes in.

10. Blog Gems: 23/31

Right on the money. That is D&D's failed attempt at creating a Warcraft-type game. It's not even a RPG.

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My guts tell me to say PoR RoMD. But first time I played it I actually played long enough to get to level 7. And I remember having fun then. It might have ahd something to do with the fact that I played it when the time said 0400. The lack of sleep might´ve played a bigger part in this than I remember.

However, biggest disappointment is NWN without a doubt. With BG and IWD released years before THIS is the best they could do!?!? I was really pissed off with that buy I tell ya.

"shot, twice."
    LoL @ casey!! :D

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Battlespire is probably the worst I've ever really played. I have PoR II but only played it for about 30 minutes before getting bored. There are way too many good games to waste time on something that looked so unpromising.

I suffered through all of Battlespire though, crashes and all. Daggerfall was a blast even though it crashed every 10 minutes as well.

13. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31

What? Battlespire was great! Well, OK, it was so unbalanced that you had to play a fighter-heavy/mage-light class, even though theoretically you could have any combination of fighter, mage, or thief. And it didn't have 3D support, and it was a DOS game. And the view distance was pret' short. And I couldn't beat the last level without using an editor to increase my stats. And...

But what great atmosphere! And what a fun plotline! - sowing discord among the daedra, so entertaining!

I wonder if it would run under WindowsME...hmm...

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Yuck!! I've played Dink Smallwood too. It was a CRPG!?! :bang: That was a total waste of time.

There also is something called "Age of Wonders" which seems to deal with the same concepts like Wizards,Elementals etc., but GOD what a bore.

15. Ashantara Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"Arcatera" is the worst by far.

Its engine is archaic, although the game itself isn't that old.

Oh, by the way:

1. Hi! (as I am new around here ;) )

2. It should be "CRPG" instead of "RPG", as this has nothing to do with pen&paper role-playing. :p

Ashantara

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

There are different definitions of bad CRPGs. There are the overhyped flops and there are the no-hyped but useless games.

Overhyped would be: Pool of Radience - Ruins of Myth Drannor; Ultima IX; Lands of Lore II: Guardians of Destiny (by Westwood).

However games like Dink Smallwood are worse than those games but weren't expected to be good anyway since they got no hype or publicity. I think Dink Smallwood was freeware anyway.

17. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31

Well I haven't played every RPG thats out there so I can't really say :p

Anyways, The Temple of Elemental Evil was a great dissapointment for me :( It would've been a great game if it hadn't been for the story, bugs, slow combat, bugs, bad voice acting, bugs, the lag, bugs and the bad quests.

I can't really say that I liked Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusade that much either.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Dispel and Dragon Breath, I guess. Or was that dragon-something-else? Not like I remember for sure... not like I care.

19. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Not really fond of Daggerfall, it's just a load of crap, plied together with piss-poor graphics and no storyline. It's not that I can't enjoy old games either, as I love X-COM and Wasteland, it's just that Daggerfall has nothing whatsoever to offer as a game.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Neverwinter Nights. What a piece of crap :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.