1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NwN or Morrowind

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Intentioner of the Damned, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Ok, i'm at one of those "i want to buy one of these but dont know which one" point. :confused:

I know NwN is going to be DnD 3rd edition rules (i believe) so is in essence, Baldur's Gate in first/third person and wicked graphics.

I haven't found anywhere that says more than Morrowind is and RPG. Is it based on a dungeons & Dragons rule set?

I don't have a preference to having a whole party (NwN) or being solo (Morrowind). Don't have a good internet connection (isn't that a must for NwN?)

Anyone got any constructive points about either or both?

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I haven't played Morrowind, so I'm not going to suggest anything. But Morrowind is not based on D&D rules, you do not have a whole party in NWN (just one henchman) and internet connection is not a must for NWN (but the single player campaign is not too good).

[ October 08, 2002, 12:11: Message edited by: Mollusken ]

3. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I know practically nothing about Morrowind, but I do know that Neverwinter Nights with a good, role-playing gaming group on a good server is wicked. Nothing I've played so far beats that.

Edit: Minor addition to above text.

[ October 08, 2002, 15:15: Message edited by: Namuras ]

4. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Morrowind for sure. It's great, addictive, truly one of the best games ever, provided you have a fast system. I won't recommend it to anyone with system with CPU slower than T-Bird 1.4G. It's not videocard dependent (although at least a GeForce2MX200 is recommneded), but eats CPU power for snacks. And at least 256M DDR RAM is recommended (although SDR is okay, but noticeably slower).

NWN is simply the worst single player game Bioware has released, but then it's still okay, and the multiplayer, when it's working, or you got some friends to play over a LAN, is fabulous.

To sum up, single player : Morrowind wins hands down, but you must have a fast CPU. NWN's singke player doesn't worth the money... multiplayer : Morrowind doesn't have multiplayer, and NWN is great if you got some friends to play with you, or when it's not laggy on the internet, and you enjoy power gaming...

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Just to be clear: NWN is third person only, D&D rules, no party (well, one henchman that you don't have much control over) unless you play multiplayer.

Morrowind is mainly first person. There is a third person mode, but it's not useful most of the time. It's not based on D&D, and there's no party either.

They are really very different games. If you have tons of time to spend on it, Morrowind is a good choice; you can wander around doing whatever you want really. If you have less time to spend playing, NWN is probably a good choice; it's more focused and the game is broken up into modules and chapters.

6. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I got bored with Morrowind very quickly and never managed to get into it. It just seemed like nothing I did really mattered and the NPCs you meet have no character, hence the whole thing lacked atmosphere for me. NWN was a bit of a dissapointment compared to earlier Bioware/Black Ilse games but kept me interested through to the end and had some nice moments.

Of course everyone has different tastes so you might like to browse some of the NWN messages or use ths search function for earlier comments about both games. There was quite a bit when they first came out. I've also posted my negative comments on a 'Morrowind is Ace' post on another forum here:

http://forum.pcgamer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6530&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

That will give you some idea about what's good and bad about Morrowind.

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well this is just me, but I've spent roughly 70 hours playing NWN, completed singleplayer and did a little of multiplayer. On the other hand, I have currently spent about 500 hours on Morrowind and am nowhere near finishing it yet. Read from that what you will...

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Morrowind all the way :eek: :eek: :eek:

NvN doesnt get nowhere near morrowind. ;)
    And to suggest a non-CRPG game i say you buy Warcraft 3 :eek: :eek:
    It RULZ :)

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm... :hmm:

:idea:

NWN - great toolset though still rather limited in the game

Warrowind - good graphics, you are you in the game free to do what you want because you still can't work out the storyline and you can nick stuff *then* relaisesomeone is standing behind you :lol:

I have harldy played either so can't say much though a fan of both that knows nothing

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Both are great games, NWN mostly because of its tremendous mp and even soloplayer potential due to the toolset. Morrowind is great and open and beautiful and all that, but I just couldnt get into it. As someone said the story line is neigh on impossible to grasp and if I play a RPG I want some motivation to play. But I will give it another shot as soon as I have more time on my hands.

11. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm liking Morrowind from what I hear, but the major question is is it good?
    Planescape: Torment was one of the most interesting and original (read: good) games I've ever played. The problem was, and I know there are those that'll agree with me, that it was way too short. Now, Morrowind is apparently eons longer than Torment, so I'll definately get it if it's good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.