1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kasio's Statement

Discussion in 'Playground' started by kasio, May 17, 2001.

1. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Linear game (with linear world map - "just go where the designer wants to and dont even look to the sides!" like IWD, BG2, Mario Bros, Quake, Diablo) is like BOOK, non-linear game (with non linear world map - "just feel the fresh wind in your face prevising a great journey!" like BG1, Fallout1,2) is like LIFE!

Dont You agree?
    Nice book is sometimes just what is neded no doubt, BUT WHY sould we be reading a BOOK if we can live a LIFE!

2. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Yes Kasio, you are ABSOLUTELY right!

I'm going out to live my LIFE today!

:D

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Kasio, How many times have you brought up this topic now? By your defination why don't you find a new 'line' of questioning. Your non-linear behavior is convincing me you don't have a life. :)

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited May 17, 2001).]

4. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Kasio, play Daggerfall or Everquest. It will give you the freedom you want. And yes, bg2 is like a book. A very interactive one. I don't play bg2 on insane. I don't consider bg2 a challenge. For this, I have games like close combat and alpha centauri. I consider games like bg2 and ps:t experiences.

5. Avooch Dar Guest

Do you not just want to have a real life adventure. This may sound sad to you but although i have an active and busy lifestyle with many friends and family i long for some sense of danger. I would give up everything i have just to go on a real life lord of the rings or forgooton realms quest or to live the life of an adventurer.
    i love bg2 but find it hard when i simply turn off my computer finish the game. i would rather face the prospect of adventure and death round every corner than the prospect of meaningless life working at a job and retiring with nothing but money and the memories of the odd holiday to France.
    i can realise and accept that you may laugh at me and call me an arse biscuit for saying these things but haven't you ever been dissapointed just once when the game ends and you are draged kicking and screaming back to a dreary boring predictible life?

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I personally enjoy being led along an engaging, excellent story as in BG2. The freedom to explore in BG was ok, but for the most part it was a lot walking around in the woods, where as I think BG2 flowed much better, with more involved side quests that led you down a path instead of simply meeting some red wizards in a forest somewhere and killing them. I suppose such is more realistic, but the story line of BG2 wouldn't have developed nearly as realistically without some linearity. How often do adventurers just happen to go to the underdark or Sundalessanar when it's being besieged by demons? It seems just natural that one would usually have a good reason to journey to such places, and BG2 leads you along until you would have such a reason. Then you can go or still wander around and do quests; it's just the linearity leads you in a logical direction to finish the game.

7. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Kasio, why in the world don't you play some real RPG's? All your complaints about CRPG's seem to be "Why aren't they more flexible?" "Why aren't they more realistic?" "Why aren't they more non-linear?" "Why don't they have a better story?"

Find some friends!! Hold your own AD&D RPG sessions. This will solve all your problems, and it's more fun anyway, since you get to interact directly with other "real" characters. With all your ideas, you could probably do well DM'ing too. Good luck!

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Avooch Dar,

If you enjoy Role Playing and want more action and excitement why don't you try a LARP. That's a live action role playing game. Do they have SCA or some such groups in England. Back when I was in college I played in a simular group here in the states. I was a blast. If you think clicking a mouse to kill the orcs is fun try swinging the sword for real. *Disclaimer: no real orcs were killed during any event.*
    Playing was a lot of fun and added a whole new level to role playing. Let me know if you want more info? There much be some group in your area.

9. Capstone Gems: 16/31

How exactly does live action work? Would you have to be a good fighter to actually win a fight? How does the DM monitor the action? It sounds cool, I'm just wondering how the implementation works out to transfer from PnP.

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31

in Live Action there is usually 2 to 3 event holders. They are the DMs for the event. A tipical event starts on Friday night and ends late Sunday. The event holders run the plot for the event. They setup the site and get people to play NPCs. Most of the time the event holders is not watching every fight. There are rules marshals who keep track of the fighting and magic.

You don't have to be the world's best fighter to play. It's true that a little speed and skill help but other things come into the game as well. A bit of armor or magic goes a long way to saving you life.

My main character was a cleric and by himself he would not last long in a fight again a real foe but with magic prep time and same fighters and mages look out. It was a great game.

11. Capstone Gems: 16/31

Is there a good website on this sort of roleplaying?

12. Voltric Gems: 19/31

Here is the rules for the system I played in. http://people.ne.mediaone.net/alarpa/vfvframe.html

It is a local system from the North East USA. Other options for larger groups are NERO and SCA. I hope this answer some of your questions. I'd be happy to chat im more detail if you want to know more.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited May 18, 2001).]

13. Avooch Dar Guest

This is certainly a great idea and i wil definitly lok into it further. Problem is this IS England and nothing fun ever happens over here so fingers crossed!

14. Avooch Dar Guest

thankyou for this you a vcool person.
    it looks great it really does but england is about as much fun as a bad case of hemoroides so they probably wont have it over here.
    oh shit i am sorry tal i just did a double post by mistake please don't bolock me it was not done on purpose aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!.......sorry

[This message has been edited by Avooch Dar (edited May 19, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.