1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Here's my 1st IWD2 party : suggestions, please

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Lawnboy, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Lawnboy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ID2 is my third RPG, after having played through BG2 and PTorment. I'm asking you, wise members of this board, to help me create a party and answer a few questions I have about 3E rules. :)

Here's the party I created when I was using someone else's PC during the holidays. I'm open to suggestions to make it better, as I know ID2 is a pretty difficult game. (Race, Class, Stats, Skills, Feats, everything :) ) Restrictions : all members of the party are Humans, Aasimar, Moon Elves, or Half-Elves, and I don't want to drop stats down to 3 (you know what I mean :) ). Also, there HAS to be an Elven Ranger, who will primarily use a bow, and 2 weapons fighting when needed.

1====================
    Moon Elf - Ranger
    Str 16
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 10
    Wis 12
    Cha 10

Hide 7(4)
    Wild. Lore 5(4)
    Ambidexterity (?)
    =====================

2====================
    Human - Fighter
    Str 15
    Dex 12
    Con 13
    Int 11
    Wis 11
    Cha 14

Diplomacy 4(2)
    Intimidate 4(2)
    Great Sword
    Bow
    =====================

3====================
    Moon Elf - Monk of the Old Order
    Str 12
    Dex 14
    Con 12
    Int 12
    Wis 14
    Cha 12

Disable Device 2
    Hide 4
    Open Lock 2
    Dodge
    =====================

4====================
    Aasimar - Morninglord of Lathander
    Str 14
    Dex 14
    Con 12
    Int 10
    Wis 18
    Cha 12

Concentration 9(4)
    Combat Casting
    Improved Turning
    =====================

5====================
    Human - Wizard
    Str 8
    Dex 14
    Con 9
    Int 18
    Wis 12
    Cha 15

Alchemy 8(4)
    Concentration 7(4)
    Diplomacy 3(1)
    Knowledge 8(4)
    Search 6(2)
    Spellcraft 8(4)
    Combat Casting
    Dodge
    Improved Initiative

Magic Missile
    Identify
    Shocking Grasp
    =====================

Some specific questions:
    1-If I understand well, any class can have the hide ability, but only rogues do more damage when attacking in this state, right?

2-Do rangers start with ambidexterity and 2 weapon fighting, or only their equivalent restrictions, and then you can add ambidexterity on top of it?

3-I planned on multiclassing the monk to a rogue, but is it worth it? At what lvl should I switch? (same for any multiclass you suggest)

4-I just realized the fighter doesn't really need to be skilled with a bow, as she will always be at the frontline anyway... right?

5-I have completed the bridge quest (chap1). From what I've seen so far, the member involved in a dialogue you don't start is random, am I right?

EDIT

6-Is "wilderness lore" worth it?

7-What should I get as a third spell for the wizard? Getting near enemies to use shocking grasp is pretty dangerous (very low hp!).

[ December 30, 2003, 03:03: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    1- Correct, AFAIK. Only Rogues get sneak attack in IWD2.

2- Yes, as long as your Ranger is wearing light or no armor. If you want to wear heavier armor, I believe you have to buy the proficiencies on top of that.

3- I would recommend only multiclasses with similar strengths. A monk needs Dex, Wis, and Str to be effective, and a Rogue Dex and Int. I suppose you could, couldn't hurt to try - just beware that your ability points may be spread a bit too thin to be very effective.

4- Wrong. EVERYBODY should be skilled with at least 1 kind of missile weapon. In the Icewind Dale games, many battles can be won and lost at the end of a bow's range. Two words: spell disruption. Enemy spells are devastating in this game, and if you can neutralize the spellcasters at the outset of a battle, the rest is just gravy. Note that being skilled doesn't mean wasting a feat on 2 stars in a missile weapon (it only gives you +1 attack). Just one star will do. The way weapon slots are set up in the interface makes it super easy to switch back and forth mid-battle.

5- Yes. The character initiating dialogue with you will speak to the first in your party who comes within speaking range. So having a party "spokesman" isn't always effective, because sometimes you have no control over who does the talking. Dialogue options won't effect too much of the game as a whole though.

EDIT]
    6- NO. ;) One of the least useful skills in the game. Role play value only, IMO.

7- Swap Identify for Shield, and drop Shocking Grasp and pick up Sleep, Chromatic Orb, Frost Dagger or Burning Hands. The last thing on earth a level 1 mage should be doing is walking anywhere near an enemy. You need ranged magic; you'll find the rest later if you need it.

/EDIT

An aside - unless you're roleplaying, try a little more min/maxing with your stat roles. Your monk needs the highest Wiz, Dex and Str he can get, adn has little use for Int and Cha. You can safely drop them both to 8 or less and distribute points elsewhere. Same applies for all characters. Fighters don't need to be smart to kick ass. They have few very few useful skills to choose from. Leave skills to characters like Rogues and Wizards who use Intelligence for their powers.

edit - spelling. Dammit.

[ December 30, 2003, 00:06: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

3. Imost Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I agree with Death Rabbit, you should do some more toggling with intelligence and charisma for your fighters. Get only powerful ranged spells for your wizard, and note that enchantment spells (dominate person, chaos, etc.) have an ENORMOUS effect on gameplay. Only impart about 10 ranks to wilderness lore if you want to have an easy time with one of the later parts of the game (only one....). You already have your Monk hiding well, so why your ranger too? And one last thing... Make sure all your frontliners (and also wizards, come to that) have at least 16 in constitution. You'll see how unfair IWD2 is when your party is ripped apart from every side, and HP tends to be more useful than AC, so.... Happy Hunting!

4. Lawnboy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks a lot for your advices!

I assumed ranger would make for the best "sniper" (I used the archer kit in BG2), but isn't fighter a better choice, considering the ability to be even more proficient with bows...?

5. Hellheart Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'll give you some sound advice.

Change your ranger to this :
    moon elf ranger(x)/fighter(4)
    str 12
    dex 20
    con 10
    int 12
    wis 12
    cha 10
    Wear light armor so you get the ambidexterity and two handed weapons feat for free. Take the finesse feat so you can use your dexterity , but will limit you to small blades only for that. With the 4 levels of fighter you get a little more feats but can take weapon specialization into crossbows - which do more damage. Since you chose moonelf you will incur a penalty for multi classing.

Change the fighter to this :
    aasimar paladin(x)/fighter(4)
    str 16
    dex 11
    con 10
    int 14
    wis 13
    cha 16
    Take greatswords or longswords so you can later take the fiendslayer feat. You can upgrade the dex & wis later on , so don't worry about that. She can act as the partyleader -> diplomacy , bluff , intimidate ... .

As for the monk : bah aaaarrrgghh , he is just too weak , take a better race and drop his charisma and intelligence please! Deep gnomes can make very good monks -> read the threads.
    (btw take a real thief to do the job)

The cleric more like this :
    aasimar morninglord of lathander
    str 16
    dex 10
    con 12
    int 12
    wis 18
    cha 12
    Unless you change your mind I would make it a female drow and combine it with 4 levels of fighter.

Finally the wizard:
    human wizard
    str 10
    dex 16
    con 14
    int 18
    wis 14
    cha 6
    Don't take dodge , impr initiative or shocking grasp -> you'r not into melee (unless you solo). Take combat casting & spell penetration ; magic missile , shield and chromatic orb. You might multiclass into rogue.
    Also consider these combo's : male drow wizard / wild elf sorcerer.

Also consider making characters for a specific job and not all-rounders all the time. Roleplay is good but a little more powerplaying could not hurt. Don't stick to those few races either , it's boring! Humans are good if multiclassed , if not take another race.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The only other thing I would have to add to the wise comments above is to consider having a Sorcerer in there somewhere. I think a Sorcerer is pretty much the most useful class there is (even more so if you are going to be taking these characters into Heart of Fury mode later)

7. Hellheart Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree with Harbourboy.
    Change that wizard into a human wizard(x)/rogue(10) -> supporting role , and take a wild elf sorcerer. Give the sorcerer alot of damaging spells from the evocation school and fire spells. Then give her (greater) spell focus evocation and spirit of flame. She will rock!

8. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

1-If I read the descriptions right, only their first attack, too. Sneak attack should work as long as the target isn't attacking the rogue--you don't actually have to hide.

2-You can take those feats later. The ranger substitute for the two feats works only when you have light or no armor. If you take the feats while having light or no armor, they have no effect, but they let you dual wield with medium or heavy armor.

4-All fighting oriented classes start with bow and crossbow proficiency anyway, so you don't have to worry about using any more feats on it. Don't take focus unless you are using it to get fiendslayer or plan to take specialization. Specialization is nice for a sniper, since bow damage is low enough that +2 makes a significant difference, but the two feats and 4 fighter levels is pretty costly.

5-It's not random. For dialogue you don't start, there are three circumstances. One is if someone in the middle of an area will initiate dialogue. This will be with the nearest member, most likely the one who approached first. Two is if you enter a dialogue upon entering an area. This will be with the person with the highest travel speed, using position in the group as a secondary criterion. Three is if your group is forced to walk a little to approach a NPC. In this case, whoever is nearest to the person will talk. This is usually dependent on the position of your members unless you are particularly unlucky and the AI gets your guys stuck.

Some general advice:
    Except for very few special circumstances (minimizing to 3, getting to int or dex 13 for feat requirements), don't start with your stats with odd numbers. Hence, shuffle around the stats for your human fighter.

[ December 31, 2003, 00:23: Message edited by: Hojo Jojo ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.