1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Playing IWD-2 with a 4-char party

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Ragusa, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm playing IWD-2 with a 4 char party atm, just entered the horde fortress caves (core rules). My party consists of:
    • tiefling dreadmaster of Bane-5/ rogue-1(rogue level for conversation)
    • halforc fighter-4/ barb-3+
    • halfelf fighter-3/ ranger-2/ rogue-2 (I aim on 10/10/10)
    • moonelf fighter-2/ diviner-5 (my bladesinger)
    • As my low level char to boost the XP harvest: a gold dwarf fighter-2 named Victimus :shake:
    As for now a few observations:
    • You gather XP *fast* at the beginning, but, unfortunately, you soon start to get very little xp per kill - rendering your faster advancement kinda useless.
    • At the beginning a four char party encounters only few enemies, later, on higher levels, that chnges completely: You are meeting large numbers of enemies - with only little reward. However, most fights ara manageable.
    • Good equipment is barely around and hard to find in the first part of the game, and in non-HoF in general.
    • One hefty frontliner (guess who ... :D ) usually is all right - but sometimes kinda risky since he is subject to the stun spell (spells in general). However, with spell and missile support he mews away the enemies with his greataxe.
    Any opinions - what were your experiences when playing?

2. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You will get less XP when you reach higher levels and even some of the monsters will worth "0" XP beacuse of the "Challenge Rating(CR)" system.
    This system adjusts monster numbers and gained XP to your party level. So, the lower your level the more you gain XP. It does not work very well, however.
    You can squat if you want to get more XP per kill.
    Follow the link to learn more about CR system and squatting.
    Don't you think squatting is great?

[ January 08, 2003, 08:37: Message edited by: ANAKHA the ALMIGHTY ]

3. Ragusa

Media:
    Thanks Anakha - besides I actually *am* squatting already (Victimus isn't named that way without a reason ;) ) and I'm well aware of the challenge rating system :) However, I didn't make that clear in my post.

So, anyone else who played with 4 chars only?

4. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

5. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I completed the game with only four characters. No squatting involved, but I did use Weimer's Ease of Use mod so I always gained some XP. Here are thier stats after I finished the game (from the End Game Autosave). Keep in mind that I was prepping them for HoF.

Half-Orc Fighter-4/Barb-15

Shield Dwarf Fighter-4/Cleric-15(Tempus)

Tiefling Ranger-1/Rogue-3/Bard-14

Drow Rogue-4/Wizard-13

Anyway I gave my cleric and barb four levels of fighter straight away. I spent alot of gold on cure light wound spells early on as I has no other means healing. And by the time I got barb rage, I rarely used it. It becomes kind of useless later on, except at the end of battles.

The drow rogue/wizard worked out well. I didn't have to worry about a lack of scrolls, and had plenty of points to spend on thieving/mage skills. The bard character was more of a buff/ spokesperson type character. Used bard song mainly, but cast a few healing spells, and once in a while she would sneak attack or throw down in melee if need be.

I agree with all your points, but I can't say there was a lack of equipment. I had the 'Some HoF Items' mod installed. So that bit is out of the question for me. Using four characters was damn fun as I felt more 'in touch' with each of them. Obviously a smaller party is easier to manage as well. I'm currently playing HoF with six characters, and I almost feel overwhelmed.

I plan on using a 3 person crew at some point so I'm interested to see at what level your characters finish the game at. I'm wondering if I should squat instead of using the mod.

EDIT: Added the proper character levels for the tiefling and drow as per the End Game Autosave. The tiefling leveled after the final battle. I gave her another level in Bard. Fixed some spelling errors and added some 'substance' to this post.

[ January 08, 2003, 12:25: Message edited by: Thorongil ]

6. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I squatted my second party from Duergar outpost to very end of game. Here is the result:

ANAKHA the ALMIGHTY
    Aasimar - Paladin of Helm 15/Fighter 4

ULATH DOOMBRINGER
    Shield Dwarf - Barbarian 16/Fighter 4

SEPHRENIA FARSIGHT
    Drow - Diviner 19

TALEN SILENTDEATH
    Tiefling - Rogue 10/Wizard 9

BEVIER EVILSTORM
    Aasimar - Stormlord of Talos 19

TYNIAN CLAWFIST
    Human - Monk of the Old Order 20

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Hmm, sounds a little Eddings-ish for me :shake: and like 6 chars too ;)

[ January 08, 2003, 17:39: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

8. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I have also completed the game with a four character party and I must admit it is different from soloing or a "normal" 6 character party. My crew included:

Aasimir Paladine of Helm 14/Fighter 4

Dwarf Cleric of Tempus 16/Fighter 3

Elf Sorceress 18/Ranger 1/Fighter 1 (she had 1 more level than everyone else thanks to the 'How to be and Adventurer' book from the monastery).

Human Rogue 12/Fighter 7

All in all I agree with your points. The lack of equipment was not really too bad (for me) since you can buy some decent "normal" magic items along the way. I was, however, quite happy to get all the goodies in the Hand.

One thing that was tough is that in some of the battles it was easier to get swarmed if I went charging in like I normally do with a 6 person party. I definitely had to shift my tactics and scout a lot more than normal. I spent most of the first half of the game leading enemies back into a web spell where I then hit them with a fireball or two to soften them up before the melee began.

Some of the battles were extremely difficult with only four characters like the Lost Followers and the final battle with Isair and Madae. However, some battles were not as bad as I thought they would be-I beat the black dragon in one try and the same with Xvim.

Also, I should note-I played this party through without any mods to the game on the highest difficulty level (insane-I think). I started to go again in HoF with these four, but I put them to the side awhile back and have not gone very far with that game. I did not use level squatting at all, but if I go back through again I may do that since by Chapter 2 there where some creatures I got no XP for killing (no fun-no fair). All in all 4 character parties are fun and interesting. Quite a challenge to pick four characters and tailor their skills and feats to make sure you have everything you need/want.

9. Ragusa

Media:
    IMO the big challenge in a four char party is that you clearly lack redundancies: In my current party I only have one tank - and a cleric and my half-rogue-fighter, just like my fighterish mage. When your enemies gang up and swarm you there's a lot to take care of, it's also hard to cast a spell undisturbed - concentration is very important in a 4 char party. I think I made an overall pretty well ballanced party.

My impressions about my chars when playing:
    • My ranger-fighter-rogue is a superb allrounder, he'll be 10/10/10 if possible - excellent scout, great archer, able backstabber and very good utility char (opening locks/ disarming traps/ searching/ wilderness lore etc). However, he lacks toughness.
    • The halforc fighter-barb is awesome. Str-20+, con-20, improved crit, greataxe as his preferred weapon. Hasted and under chaotic commands nothing can stop him, except for the limited hitpoints :D
    • Rogue-1/ Dreadmaster of Bane is pretty cool either, an excellent frontface due to the rogue level (to gain bluff & intimidate), amazing enchantment caster (focus enchantment **; spell penetration **). Same problem as my ranger: Moderate melee punch, lacks toughness. I wonder if fighter levels would make sense here - however, the multiclassing penalty on a tiefling would really hurt.
    • Fighter-4/ diviner-9: Good spellcaster, uses darts and daggers when out of spells. Same problem as my Dreadmaster. Could need a few rogue levels, for stealth and evasion - bett I'll wait a while till I have int-22 or so.
    When my barb gets decapacitated I'm in trouble, even more when he gets charmed :shake: a raging barb beltin's burning blood can easily smash your mage with a 7-damage crit when you have a bad day, or worse, splatter your cleric who's the only one who would be able to handle the only resurrection spell in your inventory.
    Casting times of higher level spells become a real pain when you're inside a gang of enemies mauling your party. Everyone has to take care of himself since it is dangerous to rely on support. Tactics indeed change and become more important.
    Decapacitating, surprising or softening up enemy groups becomes essential. Archer ambushes - one of my favourite and most successful 6-char party tactsis are very difficult to undertake with 4 chars only, only 2 of them good ranged fighters, even more since the enemies close in so fast in IWD-2.
    4 chars are a challenge I clearly prefer over the HoF mania.
    BTW: After that post above I have installed the *some HoF items* and *always some xp* mods as well. Good arrangement :) I guess I'll get rid of my dwarf sooner or later - these measures are probably better than squatting. Eventually the death of my dwarf will allow me carefree gaming :evil:
    Should I decide to try some unconventional combos, inflicting xp penalty I might keep him longer.

[ January 09, 2003, 01:38: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

10. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

[​IMG]
    Sure it is. You seem to be good observer. :p :lol:

11. Laocorn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I am currently in the Dragon's Eye with a four person party:

Half-Elf Rogue 10/Bard 5
    Half-Orc Fighter 4/Barbarian 11
    Human Monk of the Old Order 14/Painbearer of Ilmater 1
    Aasimar Sorceress 15.

The barbarian mauls people. Dual wielding a bastard sword +4 and a... long sword+3 or a Warhammer+3, either way he's got weapon spec in all three. Evil, I tell you, EVIL!

The Monk can handle himself in any fight. Guy hardly gets touched. I'm always amazed when a guy makes someone blow up by hitting them with his bare hands.

The rogue is my party leader. Talks with everyone, sneak attacks when possible. I can use her in melee if neccessary, but mostly I use ranged weapons. Occassionally I move her behind melee's and have her go to work with her short sword+4.

The Sorceress... I can cast Disintegrate 5 times now. Nevermind the rest of the wonderful spells, if there are spell casters around, they are disintegrated as fast as I can cast the spell.

I'm not having problems with items since I'm only buying for four members. That means more money to go around when it comes time to buy new goodies. The experience has been a problem though. I wiped out the Black Raven Monastery and the Duergar Fortress, and aside from the quest completion, I only got experience from killing the 5 named dwarves in the fortress. The Iron Golems only gave me about 1200 each. The fast levels are nice, I love the spells and all the great abilities, but I debate over adding a squatter just so I can get something out of killing these damned yuan-ti. I gave the monk the cleric lvl so he can use resurrection scrolls if need be, but haven't needed them yet. Regular difficulty and I'm moving right along with this crowd. I don't find my sorceress getting attacked much because she stays well back and only comes up to blast wizards or drop fireballs on the back ranks. Otherwise she sits back with Doombolter and enjoys herself. If someone gets close, she knows how to use a spear to a limited degree. At least until my barb can come over and dispatch any annoyances.

BTW, Monk's own, and I'll never make another party without one.
    "I will show this one the true way of the warrior."

12. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] Bastard sword for barbarian :aaa: You must be kidding. IMHO, you should go for a greataxe. Just my two cents...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.