1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rogue question

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Selannii, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Selannii Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Is the rogue worth making? Will he be usefull in the long run or is making a rogue a waste of space?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I personally think that the Rogue is a waste of space, although I know that there are others here who would say that Rogue is essential. All that proves is that this game can be played in many different ways.

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I went through IWD2 without a rogue just fine. They're not essential.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps a ranger with 2 rogue levels for dexterity-based skills and mage with two rogue levels for intelligence-based skills, both also getting evasion for free as well as lots of starting skill points? After all, it's not like you need a mage from the very beginning. Rogues will live longer in early Targos battles.

Or you can take a single-class rogue (perhaps 4 fighter or 1 ranger level?) for the fun of it - just because it's perfectly dispensible.

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

They are not necessary, but I do not say they are a waste of space. They can be useful if they suit your general playing style.

6. farard Gems: 1/31

It entirely rests on your style of play, most RPGers find a a middle ground of CHRs and stick to them. We are playing a RPG with the ROLE being the important ingrediant.

Try a number of options :- sneaky, backstabing, political and the all to familier kick the 4x out off the lot of them.

7. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree with Baronius. Though if you will make a character part rogue, always get the rogue level first to get the most of the starting skill points.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My rogue is my favorite character. I do multiclass her, I use her a lot for scouting. She is a halfling and can get into spots the big guys can't. I used her almost exclusively in the Serpent temple. However the others are right a rogue is not neccessary. Not sure who is necessary. There are so many different combinations you can use. Read the solo playing posts. The game is well balanced for playing many different ways. Do your own thing. :spin:

9. chevalier

Media:
    Sure. Why don't have your paladin learn search and disarm skills? Like I did :shake:

10. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

rogue is great for pickpocketing, you can aquire items this way you can't in any other way.

11. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I would say both yes and no... My tiefling rogue is good for scouting and pickpocketing, but in the beginning i had to load the game all the time because he always died... Give him a bow and weapon finesse and then use him in melee when there is very few enemies... Spent most of his ranks in pickpocket, hide, move silently, open lock, search and disable device... Don't give him to much in bluff, intimidate and diplomacy...

Or am I totally wrong?

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I am really happy I chose to include a rogue, because they really help in Heart of Fury Mode. I always have the rogue hide in shadows and backstab while I use his line of sight to guide my apocalyptic boneguards.

13. Thayvian Bastard Gems: 1/31

I always found a fighter / rogue to be amusing. Settle behind a enemy and watch your sneak attack damage roll in. Provided of course whatever it's attacking can keep it's attention while you're wailing away on his spine.

14. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

A full time rouge is just about a waste of party slot.
    However mixing in fighter, ranger, barbarian or monk levels for a full time rouge will make him most useful.
    On the other hand a few rouge levels can help just anyone do better. Any arcane caster who can be expected to stay out of the range of the enemy can backtrack and hide when out of spells. A tanker with a single level of rouge gets sneak attack bonous when backstabbing.

Personally I prefer to throw in 1-3 rouge levels into a charecter to help hide better.

15. chevalier

Media:
    A wizard with his big INT gets a lot of spare skill points. Plus, he receives INT-based bonus to Search and Disarm. Lockpicking is done by Knock, level 2, Transmutation. Stealth can be done via spells, too. Or, if he has rogue levels and big DEX, it can be done via skills as well.

16. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The problem with full rogues is that there are about 1 lock and trap for every 100 enemy you fight, and all pockets are protected by silent alarms and motion sensors, particularly in HoF mode.

17. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

How can a pocket be protected by an alarm?

18. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I think you only get one sneak attack if you're camping behind an opponent. Subsequent attacks seem to be just normal attacks. I hope I'm wrong though! Nothing quite like multiple backstabs.

19. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Heh, I always felt rogues as rather essential, for their, well, various rogue skills.
    A high-int rogue makes a fine leader too, just buff up his Cha - and make sure you give him a ranged weapon (mine kicked ass with the Doom-Bolter)
    :borg:

20. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I think a pure rogue is a waste of time in IWD2. Personally give another character, a mage in my case, a couple of levels of rogue, for lockpicking and disarm. You can do just fine that way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.