1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is IWD II dying?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by The Black Raven, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

BG is newbie friendly as you stated. BG2 may not be so friendly, but there's an unwritten rule(at least IMO) about playing the original game before the sequel, as with movies...

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

As Daephon said, the reason you probably didn't understand it first time is because you missed out on BG1. It's worth the play, you can pick it up for about £5.

Archdruid_Iselore, I'd just like to nitpick and say that Faerun is not the world, just the continent of that world. The world is called Abeir-Toril (or Toril for short), with four mainish continents; Faerun, Kara-Tur, Maztica, and an unchartered (not discovered) continent.

*ahem* Off topic sorry.

I do agree though, that IWDII could well be a tool to lure more hackyslashy gamers into the RPG market. Bioware/Black Isle did something very clever, as we see: They created two series of games with the same engine (Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale), and both were completely different (Story-based roleplayerish, and hack-slash like game). They created two games for two distinct markets. What we see is the results of this massive Poll; Baldurs Gate is more popular, that is why there are two expansions to that, or at least it is on these boards. Yet IWD is also popular, having two Expansion packs that also.

Just my view.. yours?

3. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Someone mention that the character creation in IWD2 is good, but I disagree....
    The fact that I can not get a good roll for the stats to make a good muti-class character make me dislike the game. It's hard to create good multi-classes like fighter/wizard, fighter/cleric, cleric/wizard and the likes

4. Callidus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi Gopher I do take your point about there being two separate paths with IWD being more hack and slash, but I do get the impression from reading many of the posts that a number of the players myself included would have preferred to see BG3.

IWD2 is a good game but not good enough, I enjoyed IWD1 and when I saw IWD2 I went straight out and bought it, only to find in many circumstances it's a retrograde step, I would be very careful before buying IWD3, as many companies have found to their cost you are only as good as your last game.

IWD2 has lost the wow factor I have played it a few times and I am now looking for something else to keep my interest up, this is not good for Black Isle when supporters like myself who have bought the infinity engine games from day one start looking else ware it shows a definite weakness in their strategy.

5. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yesterday, I just started a game of IWD2, and I must admit that I find myself a bit too powergaming-minded. Playing IWD2 is a good way to teach powergamers like me to roleplay more. :)

6. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

personally id love to see a mic between planescape and bg2...the replayability and romances with the dialogue truly affecting the entire game... through most of bg2 you can say anything and get the right thing.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, the successor of BG2 is NWN. The IWD series has no relation to the BG-series, or at least the only relation is the engine it uses, the over-all gameplay and a company partially involved in the BG-series. But since Bioware and Black-Isle go separate ways, there can be no BG3. And as people deem the Infinite-Engine as too old to make something big with it. NWN is "BG3", one may like it or not. IWD2 has nothing to do with BG2 and people who bought and expected and wanted a BG-kind-of-thing are, rightly so, disappointed. But my opinion is, that IWD2 is the follow-up to IWD1. Expceting that Black-Isle would continue a Bioware game, was a wrong expectation in the first place.

Ant then the other dream, which never will come true. There will be no planescape 2.

IWD2 is IWD2, not a substitute for BG or PT-Torment. A game on it's own, with a different outlook and playstyle. I think IWD1 is better all in all, but IWD2 has the engine on it's absolute height.

8. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

No, I don't think you're crazy, The interface has improved, and AD&D 3ed has been very good translated from p&Pp to the computer game. In fact I'm waiting for "Ice Gate II" to be released.

Let's see what's coming next...

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    That's what I thought when I yesterday built a human fighter *sigh* for me the ultimative addictive game would be the BG-1 to BG-2 ToB continous game with all IWD-2 rules, classes, spells and interface and BG-2 spell animations ;)

10. Grandalf the Green Sorcerer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ragusa, I could help but to totally agree with what you just said. It would indeed be my (and probably most of IW/BG players)dream-come-true :)

I was hoping that they would do that.. Maybe someday :)

But anyways, to my point. I too think that IWD's were a bit too linearic for my taste, and they should have had more "dept", because I grew tired on IW1, but somehow managed to play IW2 through.

But I also hope that this isn't the last IWD game on the market, since, well.. I want Drizzt and partners to join as npc's etc =)

I still enjoy BG2 the most though, but bg enchanced with 3rd ed. d&d rules, some smalltime adventure in luskan or even in the SotW.. *sigh* :)

But I hope they'd make some mods like TDD in BG2 to IWD2. and add the npc's in :D

11. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Callidus, I couldn't agree more. I'd prefer BG3 anyday.

12. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Is it dying? I think so!

I just bought it brand new for $11.00, which is surely not a good sign. Good thing too, I can barely stand to play it as is, I've played it for a few hours and I've already done many exciting things:

I fetched a healing potion.
    I fetched some arrows.
    I fetched a crane wheel
    I delivered a message to a ship captain.
    I delivered a message from a cleric.

Excitment abounds.

The infinity engine isn't looking so hot with age either... I have to say, if I wasn't playing this dog at work, I wouldn't be playing it at all.

13. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, when was IWDII alive, actually?

14. Neriana Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I really like the Icewind Dale games. I love creating all sorts of characters, writing their biographies, seeing how well they play out, etc. And they're mine, all mine, hah hah hah. Oh, and the music is GREAT, much better than BG's. Someone said something like "if all people are talking about is the soundtrack, the game must be dead", but I think sound is WAY more important than graphics in a game. You may not think about it as much, but it does affect you more.

I like IWD with a different part of me than I like BG. IWD's more of a good old-fashioned romp, BG's more serious. But I honestly didn't find BG all that compelling and deep, plot and character-wise. (Don't shoot me!) You're the child of a god. You have friends. Some of your friends are cool, but they're not exactly deep. The enemies in BG2 (and only BG2) are kinda different, but not outside of normal fantasy fare. If Irenicus' voice actor wasn't so awesome, just how cool would he be? You can be good or... well, being evil isn't much of an option. It's a great game, but it never made me forget that it was a game.

Planescape: Torment is the only game I've ever played only because the story and characters fascinated me. Otherwise, it's gameplay that keeps me hooked. After all, if all I wanted was a great story, I'd read a book :)

[ October 08, 2003, 09:05: Message edited by: Neriana ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.