1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Important ability points for monk?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Kotka, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Kotka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I`m going to make my first monk!What ability points are important(example, plz.)?And any tips would be useful!

2. Yig Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Everything beside Int and Cha :)

You need Str for your to hit since Monks have a lower BAB than other tanks.

You need Dex for the AC and Reflex save.

You need Con for the HPs to compensate for the d8 HD and for the Fort save.

You need Wis for AC and it increase the DC to resist your special attacks and Will save.

Int only give you more SP and since a few Monk important skills are not in the game (such as Tumble and Jump) it don't matter much.

As for Cha, let someone else do the talking.

Don't forget that Monks tend to refuse rewards for quests so let some one else speak if you want to get paid :)

Another thing, at Lvl 9 you get Improved Evasion for free, you don't need to pick it from the Feat list.

If you want, I'll tell you how I made mine when I get home.

3. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

For most races (I tend to make my monks human) I would give them the following base stats:

STR: 12
    DEX: 18
    CON: 12
    INT: 10
    WIS: 18
    CHAR: 6

Maybe drop 2 points from WIS and add to either STR or CON, but it is all about what you want your monk to be. Also, once you play through the game you will find that there are items to buff some of the important monk attributes (STR, WIS, CON) that you can find rather quickly in the game. Plus there are some monk specific items that will make them better fighters if you can find and afford them...

Edit: also, you may just want to drop his or her CHAR as low as it will go. You really should not use your monk as a talker and hey their lifestyle does not allow them to develop very many social skills anyway!!! Plus, as was mentioned before, they tend to refuse monetary rewards so let someone like a bard, rogue, or sorcerer talk to get your gold.

Also, the stats above are for based on my human characters. If you are going to keep your monk pure, Aasimir is probably the best race to use since you can start with a 20 in Wisdom and you get some extra points (from your +2 Char) to shift around.

[ November 26, 2002, 22:18: Message edited by: Grey Ghost ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.