1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Will I reach level 30?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Anakha the Almighty, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I finished the game in normal difficulty and now I'm going through HoF with the same party.
    The question is:
    My party's average level is 19.5 and I'm getting no XP for any kill. (Half-way of Prologue) Should I squat to get XP or will I be OK if I level them up properly? I have one ECL 2 and 3 ECL 1 races.

2. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You should be ok, the last HoF game I started using 16th level characters progressed fairly quickly. By midway through chapter 2 everyone was at 23rd or 24th level. You should make it to level 29 or 30 with a six person party by the end of the game in HoF.

3. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

But I gain no XP for these goblins. Although they are very easy to kill, I don't like not to be rewarded for my work. Which level are these goblins? :confused: When will I start to gain XP? Which creatures worth XP?
    There was an experience table somewhere but I couldn't be able to find it. Can anybody help me to find it.

4. {LDU}stealth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Are you sure you turned HoF on because it should not be easy at all and you should be receiving exp (even for goblins).

5. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I'm absolutely sure. They had an attack bonus of 29 or like. They were not killed with one hit. My average level is about 19.5 and I'm sure even my wizard would kill a "normal" goblin with one hit.
    Although they are HoF goblins, they couldn't resist much when I gang up on them with my party. :)
    Well, I think telling that they are very easy to kill is not quite right. They hit me sometimes. :p But they are still easier from normal goblins for me.

6. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Even in HoF mode you will probably find that some creatures do not give you XP. For example, in Chapter 3 the dire wolves outside of the Wandering Village ripped my guys a new one several times in a row. The one really aggrevating thing, beside losing 1 or more characters to some stupid wolves, was that I got no XP for the kills. However, you should find plenty of creatures, like the Orcs, Malarites, and Veerbeg, that give XP in the Prologue. Also, you will find that only certain creatures give you XP, but when they give XP they really give XP-hence how I got to level 23 by Chapter 3. BTW, quest XP sucks in HoF since it does not appear to be much different from normal mode.

HoF is like normal mode in that CR system is still in play. Sure creatures have been boosted in difficulty level from normal to HoF, but goblins are still easy so after awhile you won't get XP for killing them.

If you feel you must get XP with every kill (and we all like to receive something for our efforts) then you can squat one character at level 1 so then most every creature should give you some XP. But you know that so...

7. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I squatted my party from Duergar Outpost to Final Battle. By doing so, my party average reached 20 instead of usual 16-17. Now I don't get any XP beacuse my average is higher than usual. I think, this time I will start squatting from Targos Docks. Oh, well... :sosad:

8. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Why dont you just download the improved xp tables(either real one or the +10% one, you could also edit them with wordpad and make your own)
    squatting seems kinda cheap to me, and not any fun.

[ January 10, 2003, 19:09: Message edited by: jesper898 ]

9. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] And improved XP tables seems to be cheating to me. :mad:

10. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As far as squatting goes, I sort of make a compromise between that and constant level progression.

What I like to do is not advance a level until a character is about 1,000xp shy of the level after.
    For example, a character is beyond 91,000xp. He could advance to the next level, but waits until he's around 104,000xp. I get more xp for it, but still get the satisfaction of watching my character grow more and more powerful as the game progresses.

Also, there are times when a character can't cast spells until a certain condition is met. My cleric's wisdom is at base 15. I'll squat him until I find the Every God Ring because there's literally no point to advancing him till then.

Likewise, until my Wizard finds 7th level spells, he'll get by with 6th level and lower spells.

11. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I get 237 XP per orcs. The game is still easier than normal. I love HoF, it allows me to demonstrate monsters what my casters learned. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.