1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Palisade Battle

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Western Paladin, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] Something strange is happening in my current game. I'm up to Caballus and his allies' attack on Targos' Palisade, and Olap Tamewater attacked my people when I went to fight Ghotrag. I reloaded and tried it again, but the same thing happened. The only thing I can think of is that it was triggered when I used a flaming oil pot against Vghotan; the first time, I think I hit a soldier, but the second time I didn't throw anything until (I thought) the soldiers were dead!

I'm gonna try it again without using oil at all, but if Olap attacks me again I'm just gonna restart. *grumbles about Olap's demeanor*

2. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

known trouble. i had this several times myself and everytime it came from area-effect spells or potions.

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Happens all the time. Once you injure any townsman, everyone turns against you. You gotta reload coz you endup having to kill Ulbrek and the game wont progress anyways.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, that's not a bug. You have to be careful with area-effect spells.

You'll have to reload a game and play back through the attack.

5. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Cool, thanks for the replies. :) Does that also apply to things like Color Spray or Sleep?

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I know for sure it applies to all spells that actually hit and cause direct damage. Don't know what happens if you target someone with a spell he avoids by saving throw or Evasion for no damage at all, or how it is with spells which cause unpleasant effects other than direct damage.

7. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Update time. I made it through this time, without using hardly any spells. I used some Magic Missiles against Vghotan and Ghotrag, and I only threw one oil bottle at Caballus.

I have another question, about which NPCs can survive the battle. When I played through it this time, Olap Tamewater, Black Geoffrey and Kickshaw (I think; it might have been the other one, I don't quite remember), and Niles survived the battle. There's no sign of Isherwood, which is a little confusing, nor of the guy who was trying to fix the catapult. I seem to have a memory that Kadence survived the battle on my first campaign.

8. Shrikant

Olap always survives.
    The drunk guy suvives if you dont give him any to drink.
    The leaders of the trio beside the fire and that from the Docks bar also live.
    I think Shawford was too chicken to fight, never saw him fighting the goblins.
    IIRC no other named charecters survive the paliside battle.

9. Gerrymander Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

From personal experimenting, the other characters might or might not survive. Most of the soldiers get killed by default, while the ones with names to stand and fight. Problem is, they really suck and can barely take a few hits, which is why most of the time you find them dead. Last time I tried charging towards Kadence even before defeating Vghotan, getting there in time to bar him from the onslaught. Otherwise, being so near the corner the goblins appear, he usually doesn't make it. OTOH, only the leader of the guys by the fire survives (his after-combat dialogue confirms that), but I've see at least two of the guys from the Docks survive.

10. San Ti Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] yeh the area effect spells must be handled carefully in ICWD 2 they can cause a hell of alot problems

[ January 07, 2005, 09:24: Message edited by: San Ti ]

11. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

IIRC an area effect spell that does not deal damage
    does not even target neutral targets. Tested this by
    casting Malice (if it is with that name) on a group of neutrals, nothing happened, no one went hostile, the spell didn't affect them in any way.
    Then I threw a fireball and started the slaughter.

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some spells target only enemies. I read the description and hope they work the way they are supposed too. Good idea to do some practicing. After a save game, of course.

13. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

@ Western Paladin
    Olap is the only one who will consistently survive--not that it matters, gamewise.
    Besides, if the other mercenaries get smoked, you can always loot their corpses along with the goblins! :D

14. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

A little ot, about looting, what do you people loot?
    I usually only grab the magical stuff for selling, and after mid game, I do no looting, it's pointless. I mean no looting in the sense of selling stuff, sure I pick and every magical item and ID it, but for sale...
    You end up with more cash than you can spend about half way the game anyway, so why bother. At least I did. If someone has had money prolbems, I'd like to hear how can this be.

15. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31

Veteran

Is Olap supposed to disappear when you get back from Shaengarne Bridge? Not like I need him or anything. But it seriously looks like he left town! As for looting, I take magic items and gold, sometimes scrolls. I like gold. :) After getting a guy's inventory completely full of arrows and crap, I always drop some non-magical ammunition when I pick up magical ammunition.

16. Dalakdan Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Only direct damage area spells cause the town to turn against you. Also, when i fought the palisade battle. I found that niles was slain, three out of the four members of the Bar Group has survived and some of the unnamed soldiers as well. I must have been lucky but it still happened

17. Shrikant

I pick up every thing :D Im a packrat :p
    Then I try to find the best deal before unloading my stuff. You should see the amount of time I spend selling stuff to Elytharra (sp?) :money:
    My bag of holding is always full.

Once you have left Kuldahar though, money is no longer useful since there is hardly anything useful sold thereafter. Then I dont bother picking up mundane stuff.

18. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    When you first start at the docks, you meet olaps father. If you catch and kill him with an area effect spell then nobody turns against you. That's the only time you ever get away with it (I think)

19. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31

Veteran

I was messing around recently with attacking the Palisade guards. I could kill the unnamed soldiers without any noticeable effect. As soon as I attacked Kadence or someone else who you can talk to seriously, everyone attacked me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.