1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PKing in Icewind Dale 2

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Mr Legolas, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Mr Legolas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was just wondering, with no disrespect to those serious roleplayers, if IWD2 have change to something like Diablo2, what class will you play or you think they will rock. For me personally i think stealther assassin *and maybe archer* and skillfull micro-managed sorcerers/wizard.

[ February 16, 2003, 12:10: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] i go for druid...since i play diablo and i use almost the characters there...but druid is the coolest but the weakest i think..

3. Mr Legolas Gems: 1/31

Ok this reply is none of the PK part concern just checking out comments.
    Yesterday i try the deep gnome rogue, it have a off set -3 level penalty but it have many other advantages like max 20 dex max 18 con with high Int, it can also cast invisibility, blur and minor mirror image. And the best of all was that +4 dodge against all races with 20 dex and maybe add in some other dodge-enchancing skill, i wonder do i need a tank in my party with just him around. I will add evenom skill for him, but he seem to have some problem with his melee damage output with no weapon finess, i also need to know how do i backstab someone which I tryed yesterday to no valid. I also wonder is 30 lbs weight carring enough for an assassin and maybe later illusionist.
    Hmm seem to me now I am roleplaying the powergaming version of me when I was MMORPGing, and thk for reading my above post.

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

30 lb? That's pretty much nothing. :) I think a little investment in STR would do you good. ;)

As for backstab not working, did you attack from behind? Were you hidden in shadows? Did you use a dagger, short sword or the likes of that? (No backstabbing with a twohanded axe :grin: )

As for druid being the weakest, this simply isn't true, wether we're talking Diablo2 or IWD2 here. In IWD2 they get devestating spells as well as shapeshifts, and in Diablo2 the various summons and shapeshifts are just as powerfull. I don't see where you se them as weak.

I don't like Playerkilling, personally I think it's a weak form of entertaining yourself by the ruining of another person's good time. If you're referring to dueling, that's okay, because both parties have agreed to it.

As for dueling, the best PK would be a Deep Gnome Monk. Superior melee abilities, great one on one, and spellresistance will make him pretty much impervious to any spell. Sure beats the Pal/Sorc in one on one combat, unless the Sorc is able to summon lots of heavy summons quickly, especially those immune to blunt damage. (for example by succesfully trapping the monk in Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, and then summoning. But you'd have to get by the Spellresistance.) In that case the monk would be screwed. :) If the monk does get to the Sorc though, it's the monk that wins, hands down.

5. Mr Legolas Gems: 1/31

Pardon me but can monk be stealthed ? I have never played monk before.

6. bluey Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Damage bonuses are based on strength are they not? If your character can only carry 30 lbs, I don't see how he could hit hard enough to damage anything?

I put all my skill points for my monks in steath and use them for scouts because they are so fast moving - so yeah, they are great steathed.

I disagree. IMO, a D2LoD Druid is the weakest. Summons are not much use against the act bosses, particularly on higher difficulty levels where they are insta-vaporized.

In nightmare or hell difficulty, summoning would be useless and shifting would not allow a varied enough elemental damage for a Druid to survive - which, imo, makes them weak.

IWD2 (or any of the BG-type games) is a whole other story - I don't think the elemental resistances/immunities of pumped up monsters are as much an issue (though correct me if I am wrong for HoF mode) as it is in high level D2.

I haven't yet played a Druid in IWD2, but I suspect their spells would be better, summons stronger...and if they have healing like they did in BG2, they would be pretty formidable.

7. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hm weapon finesse with a 20 dex character closes up low strength.

8. StormCast Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Druid Weak in D2LoD?? why you think that, with werwolf, oak spirit, Fury on 29, and 1 on feral rage, I cant be killed. 4k life, 50%+ life steal and 4000+dmg, can sleap while I'll kill Bhaal in Hell, only danger is Diablo in hell; his Firestorm is devestating(even with 85% fire res., but his lightning inferno is laughtable.

9. Mr Legolas Gems: 1/31

Well if we are talking about PKing in D2, Druid is very strong if it melee fight, they can win barbarian hand down. Summon a few mob and they will absorb the barbarian wirlwind damage, and Druid damage output can be very high if u have all the good item. Oh are we out of this forum topic ? Too much issue on D2 hehe.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  11. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I was stating earlier that the monk would rule supreme in PvP combat, but I hadn't thought of lower resist yet. If the sorc is able to lower the monk's spellresistance a few times, while the sorcerer himself is protected with spells like stoneskin, mirror image and the like, the monk would have a hard time hitting the mage while he would constantly get very hurting spells flung at him.

Of course both situations are considering highlevelcharacters.

12. Mr Legolas Gems: 1/31

That true Faragon, that why I noted in my first post about skillfull micro-managed sorcerers/wizard, and that a force to be reckon with.

13. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I have a human monk 21/druid 9 and a drow diviner 30. It is no problem to kill diviner with monk unless the monk roll 1 on saving throw.
    BTW, improved evasion seems not to work. At least for spells from your own mage.
    Once my poor monk get hit with a DBF from her and received a nice 184 HP damage. Thanks to my cleric, he hadn't died right there.

For hitting monsters; you are right. But even if he hit, he can't make reasonable damage.

30 lbs. means that the character has 6 or 7 strength which means he/she will get a -2 on damage.

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Monk fists aren't affected by weapon finesse if I remember correctly. So that won't work.

15. Mr Legolas Gems: 1/31

Monk are more on the Str/blunt so weapon fitness doesnt matter. My Deep Gnome rogue dun have weapon fitness also, that why high dex with thrust weapon cant improve the high damage for my rogue :( , Please correct me if Iam wrong though.

[ February 18, 2003, 11:32: Message edited by: Mr Legolas ]

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Weapon Fitness? Your weapons work out? :p

Other than that, your message is pretty much garbled to me Mr Legolas. Could you try again in English? ;)

17. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Monk v Sorcerer

I'm just wondering exactly how this Monk plans to see my Sorcerer.....

In BG2 with TS, spell triggers etc, no contest.

In IWD2 it really depends on how much preparation time the Sorcerer is allowed. If you have to start with no pre-cast buffs I think the Sorcerer would be in trouble. Allowing prep time should swing it in the Sorcerer's favour.

18. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Even with no Prep Time you'd still win (probably).

Start off with an Improved Invisibility. The monk'll stand there looking stupid. If you're having trouble controlling him, knock off a few Sleep spells (no saving throws). To keep him down while you prepare.
    etc etc.

That said, it might not work for higher levels.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.