1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NaNoWriMo -- National Novel Writing Month

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Silverwolf86, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't come up already but maybe because it's an obscure American thing. November is National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo for short. The idea is to sign up and write a short (50,000 word) novel in the span of one month. The goal? To actually somehow complete a novel in only a month. It can't be done you say? Oh, but it has been. ;) In fact Piers Anthony wrote Vale of the Vole in only 8 weeks and that was something like 200,000 words. The rules are fairly simple, you need to write as much as you possibly can during the month of November. No projects that have been started before hand though you can continue writing after the deadline. Basically if anyone has ever had to do freewriting for a creative writing class, it's like a lot of freewrites adding up to an entire week. To win all you have to do is reach the 50,000 word goal by the end of November and then you can officially say that you have written a book :D

See http://nanowrimo.org/ for more details.

As for myself, I'm signed up and raring to go. Of course I have to start a completely new novel which means my insanely long trilogy will go on a hold for a little while but I have this great idea for a smaller children's story called There's A Dragon in the Attic. I have no idea if I'll actually complete it in only one month (how insane is this project?) but if I can it'll give me the writing confidence boost I desperately need at the moment. Besides that, it'll give my little brother something to read. :) So I'm HOPING that with all the talented writers here, some might be crazy enough to try this with me and even better, post their unedited, very scrambled pieces of work on SP. Maybe I will too... Maybe. :angel: And if nothing else it will create a lot of posts with frantic authors who are trying to manage writing roughly 1500 words a day (and then twice as much on weekends) despite the school work, housework and crazy family members. :grin:

So check out the website and then tell the world how truly crazy you are!

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I wish I had the time and energy to participate...
    :(

3. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, I know that Arabwel and Eze have been talking about this event during the last week, so you are not totally alone.

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I don't even have time to write my one novel, let alone two. It's an odd goal. I mean, it should take longer than 1 month to write a good novel. I know that I couldn't write a half decent one in such a short time.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Wow! This is the greatest form of spam I've ever seen!

6. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd like to do this, but any novel I am writing or planning to write is/will take forever to complete. I don't have the time... :(

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Valkyrie, make it up on the spot, that's what makes it so chaotic :D

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Am writing mine. Up to 8500+ words already. Am ahead of schedule. Go me!

My plot is sucky, I know what happens for two more "days" in the book, and after that, no bloody idea.

And I think my male main character sounds a bit girly :/

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I've typed 4000ish words, though I have at least 7000 in the back of my binder, maybe more. It was just yesterday that I stumbled upon a plot :D

10. Arabwel

Media:
    I got this *idea* two days before NaNo started. I have a haphazzard outlne of, what, the first fith of the book typed up... now I am bugging some people to give me helpful details, like is the head of a school in New Zealand called a Principal or a Headmaster, and what I should do with the third floor...

I am more or less starting to write something *serious* instead of teenage angst mingled with the usual hormones, ntanglements and a bit if insanity.

Note to self: Should not write when drinking anything alcoholic... bad for your plot. It becomes insane.

11. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well so far, I have 1 Chapter written and then I've started the second one. But I can't focus on writing it. There's just too many days lately where I've been getting migraines and then trying to write through the migraine is a nightmare. :( It seems to be a good start but I'm wicked far behind and I don't know how well I'll be catching up since this weekend I'm really busy. And even though I've told some people doing it that they should just carry around a notepad and then write a little bit of whatever they're going to say in the five minutes they have between classes and stuff, I don't work like that. I have to sit at my computer for hours with headphones on and everything and just type until I know where I'm going with it. Of course the problem with that is once I do know where I want to go with it, I have something else to do. Meh... need to focus more.

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I wish I had time, and skill to do this. But for all you luckey people who have, good luck!

13. Arabwel

Media:
    Less than 5000 words to the magic limit... but the story is only unfolding now.

The bad part? I can't even link it here without Tal banning my butt six ways forom Sunday.

Anyone interested, PM and I'll link with warnings :D

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I've given up, 'tis simply too hard to do in the last month of school when everything is been piled up, plus I've been distracted by tabletop Fallout games and am getting re-distracted by NS.

However I will happily read your story Ara, though I hope you don't want any feedback, or if you do, I hope you like negative feedback ;)

15. Arabwel

Media:
    Why, is that a flame I see before me? :p

I'll send you a link when I get a functioning floppy :/

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You know I could :D

Even in English, in spite of all the time needed for corrections, wordsmithy etc. There's one problem, though. Think up the plot would take time and energy and I'm studying. I have to pay attention to what's going on. To homeworks, tests, that stuff. Maybe next time. I remember writing 40 pages of print for history in ten hours. No matter I was drunk ;)

So, maybe some day. Not now. Don't have the time. I'll think of some ideas, though and store them. I don't want to waste the best of my future novel conspects for some hasty work.

Heh, I wish I could become a novelist and earn a living that way.

17. Arabwel

Media:
    I have passed the 50.000 word mark. GO mE!

I won NaNo. I beat myself hard enough to write that amount of words in 19 days. Go me!

The problem? The story isn't even near finishing. This could very well become a Jordan-esque saga, even if it isn't fantasy.

Again, GO ME!

But now I gdo have it online, so if you want I can link you. PM me and YOu get the link & full warnings.

I won't link here because of the mere warningas would have Tal kill me.

18. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Piers Anthony can do it 'cause he's a no-talent pervy hack.

Oh, ok, so I read a lot of his stuff anyway. :1eye:

19. Arabwel

Media:
    Hmm... I admit to neing a no-talent perv, but not a hack... I'm an elf-fancier. Does that give me a chance of becoming published?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.