1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Infinite Fireballs and Healing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by zort, May 31, 2001.

1. zort Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Contingencies don't seem to go away once they are activated so if you cast chain contingency pick life at 50% and target yourself + 3 fireballs,delayed blast fireballs and have max fire resist at 127 every time you have a party member hit that mage 3 fireballs come out. Just make sure both of you are immune to fire. You could even make this self sustaing by being a cleric-mage. Pick heal,fireball,fireball when you have 75% fire resist. Has anyone ever done this because my game chrashes whenever I try this. Anyway could someone try this and post results here.

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Chain Contingency is a 9th level spell so no, I haven't done that.
    Using Fireballs in that spell seems to be a terrible waste of potential, don't you agree?

I've seen that fire resistance over 100% actually results in healing from fire damage. That could be intended but is it worth wasting your Chain Contingency on Fireballs?

One of the obvious combos involves Time Stop when enemy is sighted. Something like this:
    - Time Stop
    - Spell Trap
    - Improved Haste

After that you can use your Spell Trigger, Spell Sequencer and/or Minor Spell Sequencer to get in plenty of damage fast if that's really necessary. A better idea might be to cast another Time Stop just before the first Time Stop expires.

3. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

can be usefull, but I prefer my own combo's

first my contigency(lvl 9) then my seqencer and then more goody goody high level spells

gonna try solo with my mage soon :D

4. zort Gems: 3/31

That's not my point. See if you do the second setup you go full life, 50% life, full life forever because you heal then take damage retriggering everything. I think infinite fireballs is more damaging than whatever you can do in a time stop. And you could always use delayed blast fireball.

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I don't understand, zort.
    You say this is a loop that goes on "forever? Please explain again.

6. zort Gems: 3/31

Yeah it's an infinite loop because say you get reduced to 50% of your life.Heal full heals you. Then Fireball hits you reducing you to 50% again that's why you only get 50% resistance. This then retriggers the contingency since you got reduced to 50% of your life again. So it goes on forever. I just can't be sure because my game chrashes whenever I try this. So that's why I'm asking someone else to try this to see if it can work.

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Are You palying a Cleric/mage? else I don't see that part of healing You.

As I see it You throw a fireball right? Your mage is 50% resistant. Gets hurts and the contingency triggers. First thing that happens is You say You'll get healed? How? as a cleric? The second thing is the contingency fires a few fireballs. Your mage gets hurt and the contingency triggers again?

If it is so. I don't think you can mix cleric spells into a contingency. I why dont your Chain contingency icon dissapear after triggering? I think that is bug.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I think he means that you go back to 50% of your Hit Points, so also if you are beneath that amount of Hit Points but I doubt if this is true. Have you already tried this out?

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

He says his game crashes and wants us to try it out. But I not quite clear on this yet.

It depends on what this means

I can't seeeeeee what it means :D
    IS he a cleric/mage?

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 31, 2001).]

10. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31

No he isn't a cleric/mage, he's the world coolest thief. He steals heal spells out of the air so he can put them in the contingencies that he stole.

Yes idiot he is a cleric/mage, read the whole post he says it's his cleric mage in the beginning. Also you would have a hard time casting Heal as any other class.

And he is saying the heal spell restores his character to full hp. Makes perfect sense.

Here is the plan for his looping contingency
    1) Heal to full
    2) Deal massive area of effect damage
    3) Take damage from previous spells, reduced to X% hp's.
    4) Trigger contingency, return to 1

Makes a lot of sense, all I want to know is how do I get that chain contingency that's self-restoring, sweet.

[Please leave the name-calling out of your posts in the future... BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited May 31, 2001).]

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

duhhhhhhh. If I had some glasses I would start wearing them.. duhhhhhh.

still after saying duhhhhhh. I would still say duhhhhh.

12. zort Gems: 3/31

So has anyone tried this yet? If you can't seem to get it going you could always hit him to retrigger it again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.