1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Thinking of starting a story... Suggestions/Opinions Welcome

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by N00b, Oct 28, 2001.

1. N00b Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Riiight. Before I get to the meat of this post, I'd just like to add this disclaimer: It's -late- down here, and I am in no mood to proof read. Spelling and grammar are likely to be in the zone of 'unreadable'. If I'm not too lazy I'll come back tomorrow and edit the worst bits. Now that we've got -that- taken care of, let's get to the subject at hand.
    I've been staring in awe at some of the stories here. I've never read past the first few installations, mind, because I've yet to get past the first chapter, and I'm seeking to avoid spoilers. Now, I know I can't live up to such roleplaying and writing accomplishments as Duharrel, Lerrahud, REAL Man or The Wally Saga, but I'm thinking that I'll give it my damndest while I'm still fresh to the game. Why, you might ask, would someone who has never beaten the game do something try this? A couple reasons: First, it will give me a roleplay to follow, and a motivation to play, both of which I am sorely lacking. Second, given that I actually -have no foreknowledge- of the events to come, I won't be forced to slap myself in the face with arbitrary rules to simulate such.
    Now that we've gotten past the statement that Yes, I am doing it, and my reasons -why- I'm doing it, we'll be discussing How I'm Going To Do It. I already have a character in mind-- He's one I've played for years, in various forms. His name is Julian Porter, and his title for the sake of this story is Earthman of Faerun. The meaning of this title, if it isn't immediately obvious, is that he's -from Earth-. I.E., a guy from the real world. He basically blacks out at some point during his normal life and wakes up in Irenicus' dungeon. Neat, huh? How am I going to roleplay this? Well, it will take a -great deal- of 'Artistic Liscense'. None of the dialogue choices in game are particularly fitting, after all. But since most of the stories here have sculpted the limited game world in such a way, adding dialogues and even characters that were never hard coded, it shouldn't be that tough as far as writing the story goes. And as far as -playing-, well, I'll probably just choose the options that best fit his personality, and act as confused as possible, at least at the beginning.
    Now wasn't -that- overly verbose? Still not quite done, though: I'm going to need some opinions on the following things. But PLEASE, feel free to mad-lib. -Any- response is welcome. Alright. Questions:
    1. What is your opinion of the basic premise? I.E. Earthman in Faerun.
    2. I know I'll be going as a Chaotic Neutral human, but I'm still in need of a class. I was thinking one of the following: Fighter:(Hitting things. Raw physical talent is easily developed.) Sorcerer:(New magical talent that just sort of exploded upon entering the Realms. Easiest to justify as far as starting out at level 8-ish.) Thief:(Hiding. Not the bravest of fellows, our Julian. Can Hit Things fairly well, also.) Stalker:(Sort a cross between the previous three, I suppose. Hitting Things, Magical Talent and Hiding, all rolled into one neat little package.)
    3. WILL YOU READ IT? I'd like to think I'm not wasting my time, after all.

EDIT: Disabling Smilies.

[This message has been edited by N00b (edited October 28, 2001).]

2. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Your basic premise is one that wasused by author John Norman in his Tarl Cabot of Gor series. In that series, a rich man was captured and transported to a "counter-Earth" (a planet that was exactly opposite Earth in the same orbit but had no technology past iron and brass weapons).

While magic was not a factor in that series, men had trained large hawk-eagle-like creatures to carry men on their backs in flight...

The obvious character class that Norman used for his story was that of FIGHTER and he spiced the story up by giving the protagonist basically an INT of 16 so that he could think his way out of many jams as well as fight his way out.

Consider it.... for what it's worth. If you do choose the Fighter class, I would think that no kit should be used as the basis for those does not fit with the premise of your story.

Anyway, good luck and have fun. I look forward to reading the story.

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited October 28, 2001).]

3. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I would think that, depending on the tiem he left earth, thief might be better. If your average twentieth century office worker was to don plate mail and pick up a sword, he'd barely be able to walk.

4. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Cleric is Plausible. He could be intensely religious. Even Mage might work. People learn about casting spells.

Ranger would work if he's the outdoors type. Fighter isn't that likely.
    Thief if he's well, a thief.

I like Ranger though. That's my choice.

5. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I like thief. Maybe he can have been a lawyer on Earth. (-:

I definitely vote against cleric. If he's a cleric he'd have to belong to one of the churches of the three Faerun gods, which would screw with his "what the hell?!?" motif. (-:

[edit]

He wouldn't have to declare himself a priest of one of those three gods from the get-go, but he *would* still have to belong to one of those churches for his stronghold plot later on and act like he knew and was devoted to those gods, so I still say thumbs down on that idea. Especially since the god he'd get stuck with would be Helm, who is lawful neutral and an exceptionally poor fit for any chaotic character.

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited October 28, 2001).]

6. N00b Gems: 1/31

Haw. Thanks for the Feedback, guys. Especially Tjek and Kailynne. No offense to anyone else who replied, but those two are just sorta my heroes after the accounts -they- gave. Roight, then. I'd like to note that I only get to play on the weekends, so installments will be far between. As for Class, it seems Thief has gotten the most votes, so Thief it will probably be, unless I decide to Damn It All and go with sorcerer anyway. The Story will begin under a different topic, 'course, and not till next friday, saturday or sunday, so anyone who hasn't posted their ideas and still wants to, please do so. Once again, thanks you EVERYONE who replied, and especially to Tjek and Kail.

7. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'd say a thief or a sorcerer. I'll read this!! Good luck.

8. zaknafein Guest

hmm dont you just hate wasting your time. i seem to do that a lot as no one reads my storys. ahh well shit happens. go with sorcerer

9. Fire Gems: 1/31

*raises arms* go ahead and kill me! I can't take the siriousness around here!One after another, a story i can't even read because it's so da** serious! And all these frickin' chracters look like 3D pictures from warcraft 2 and Ogre freakin' battle 64!
    P.s. I33T n00b :wave:

10. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Hmm maybe thats why so many people come here, you can at least ask and get a decent answer that you can understand, not in some undecipherable (Certain SP) language a 12 year old invented.

If ya don't like it then you know where to go.

P.S. No hard feelings ;)

11. zaknafein Guest

calm down man. if you dont like go away

12. Do it!!! do it!!! do it!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.