1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Powergamer's dream

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Modjahed, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

This thread is about the fact that certain characters in ToB are overpowered.

Here is what I was able to do to a Fighter/Thief taking him solo through BG, SoA and most of Tob.

Name: Modjahed
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Race: Human
    Class: DC Swashbuckler lvl 25 / Fighter lvl 26

Stats: +1 to all (+2 to WIS) in BG, +1 to all Lum the Mad, +3 STR Hell, +1 STR Deck of Many Things.

STR 24 DEX 21 CON 21 INT 12 WIS 21 CHA 5

Saving Throws: -3/-1/-2/-7/0

THACO: -18
    Number of Attacks: 3
    Lore: 95
    OL 155 FT 155 PP 40 HS 105 MS 105 DI 175 ST 125
    (those were the thief skills)

Proficiencies:
    ++ in LSw, Kat, WarH, Flail, TwoHSw, Axe
    + in Short Bow
    +++ in Two-Weapon, ++ in Single Weapon, ++ in Two-Handed weapon.
    Total of 20 proficiencies.

108 total HP, AC -26.

Special Abilities:
    Use Any Item
    Avoid Death
    Lesser Whirlwind
    2 Whirlwinds
    Power Attack
    Critical Strike
    2 Hardiness
    5 Set Trap

Equipment:
    Shuruppak's Plate
    Gauntlets of Extraordinary Spec.
    Amulet of the Master Harper
    Ring of Gaxx
    Ring of Earth Control
    Boots of Speed
    Cloak of the Sewers
    Belt of Inertial Barrier
    Axe of Unyielding +5 single weapon

This is Fighter Mode.

Now in Thief Mode you put on the Human Flesh Armor and Flail of Ages +5 in the off-hand:

AC goes down to -18, but you now hide in shadows, and have 4 attacks per round.

Magic Resistance Mode:
    Carsomyr +5, Amulet of Power - AC goes down further to -14, but Magic Resistance 90% and a couple Dispel Magics to use

Mixed Enemies Mode:
    When I fight a large group of enemies with good mages I usually do the following:
    Axe of Unyielding, Shield of Harmony, Plate, Ring of Free Action, Cloak of Mirroring.

I am then protected from almost all nasty spells (except Maze and Imprisomnent, but for those I have a couple of Spell Immunity Scrolls) and can tank very well:

AC -25, 3 att per round, protection from every direct spell as well as hold, charm, stun, confusion, domination.

And I have to say: the most useful item is the Bag of Holding :)

[This message has been edited by Modjahed (edited June 05, 2002).]

2. strange_machine Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Barf, puke? Dual class at level 25??? HOly snikeys, what are you thinking. Oh well, way to min and max i'm sooo proud of you.

3. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Great you have just proven that when you powergame the game becomes stupid. The game is not supposed to be played where you make the *best* character the game is all about the journey and evolution of your character.

Don't try to powergame a game that was not built for that, it makes the game pointless.

4. ShadowDaemon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

A few inconsistancies... First off, i agree that powergameing takes all the fun out of the game. not only that it make for a pasty complexion and lengthy bout of single-ness.:hahaerr:('dinner for two', 'not tonight jevees, im alone... oh so very alone...'):hahaerr:

Anyways, your 25/26 character would be impressive... if you didnt use ShadowKeeper or the CLUAConsole to do it! what you neglected to say is that if you dont dual over to fighter when your swash buckler is just barly lv25 at the very point of 3300000 xp, if you go one single point over, you cant get enough xp to hit lv 26 with your fighter class. which means... dah dum dummmm no dual. and you cant go below -10 ac, its programed in, unless you hacked THAT as well, doesnt happen dude.

I should apologize on the off chance you when out and stalked and murdered every rat, rabbit, and groundhog in the game to fine tune your xp, but nobody has that much free time... not and be able to afford internet and games.

beter luck next lie
    :hippy:

5. Mirkwood Guest

That's nonsense.

[This message has been edited by Mirkwood (edited January 30, 2002).]

6. I love bg2 Banned

[​IMG] I had a kensai/thief with -20 ac in a game once, overpowered? yes but you still have to earn the xp to get to the point of actualy that strong.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] *taps ShadowDaemon on the shoulder* You might want to sit down now before embarassing yourself further. Modjahed does not lie, at least not intentionally. When it comes to these games, Modjahed is the man, plus he's been around since SP started, so show some respect please :p.

I once thought Modjahed was dead wrong on a subject. It turns out the manual (and I) was wrong, and he was most certainly right. So check your stuff before lambasting peeps :p.

BTW Modjahed, Impressive, most impressive :grin:

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited January 30, 2002).]

8. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

You missed one more for wisdom, there are 3 points to be gained in BG1.
    I had a powerful character like yours but felt too guilty that I was way too powerful.

[This message has been edited by jbigdaddy (edited January 31, 2002).]

9. ShadowDaemon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I will admit and apologize that I was wrong on the ac factor, but I stand firm on the XP points fact, cause i tested it... unless you removed the cap, which you could have done.... Im done talking now... embarased...

:angel: :evil:

10. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31

Yes I was wondering about that too. Without checking my BG2 manual I would say that does sound like it exceeds the TOB cap which I think is about 8,000,000. Am I wrong?

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I don't know - maybe he is using the x-cap remover ... it's an impressive character anyway :)

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

And as he pointed out, it's a powergamers dream. If you are powergaming, then why not remove the x-cap?

13. Minde Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] To Shadowdaemon & his cousins:
    u all talk bs, accusing that poor guy for cheating and so on, but probably having mojor problems with maths yourselves.

lvl 25 swashb - 3.300.000
    lvl 26 fighter - 4.500.000
    xcap 8.000.000
    that means - free 200.000 between lvls

realy, i mean no ofence, just thought i should throw my two cents, and test all this posting thingie, coz i just registered in.

14. Xyclos Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

just registered an account eh?

i smell fish. oh wait i'm having fish for dinner.

15. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

Just to say a few things.

I never cheat or exploit things - at least intentionally.

I only powergame.

Thanks, Minde, for clearing things up, because it would be very unfair - I have spent around two hours calculating possible dual-class combos and picking a class to play - and someone accuses me of chating before doing a simple add and subtract.

Originally I wanted to do a Swashbuckler/Mage with UAI but lvl 24/25 gets over the cap by some 110,000 so I was bound to do that S/F.

16. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] You said you solo'd him through BG, but BG doesn't have Swashbuckler's??

17. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

@StressedE:

Exactly :), he was just a plain thief back then. When I imported him to BG2 I was allowed to assign a kit to him.

18. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Modjahed
    You mean to say you actually played this character from the start of BG1 to the end of ToB? :eek: :whoa:
    To me it looks like a product made on paper with some help from SK. Absolutely no shame in that, it's great way of showing the potential of what you can do.

Let's look at the problems.
    Dual classing at Thief-25? 3,139,000 xp into SoA/ToB dual classing a Thief leaves you with a ~100 HP Fighter-1. Sounds tricky to get him levelled up to where he can kill stuff.

HLA's.
    As a thief you get two HLA's from the Thief pool at level 24 and 25, right?
    As a fighter you get HLA's at levels 20-26, a total of 7 fighter HLA, right?
    Yet you list 14 HLA's, I figure 9, am I wrong?

Anyway, you make a good show of what can be done! :)

19. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Most impresive Modjahed, most impressive indeed.:D. I can't believe this is right though...it cant be possible to get a character like that!

[edit] I stand corrected! hat's off to you Modjahed!

[This message has been edited by Gopher (edited June 06, 2002).]

20. Modjahed Gems: 14/31

@Earl Grey:

What happened to you, man? "Set Traps" is not a HLA, it is the class ability of a thief ;) - so it does make 9 HLA.

Now I did use my knowledge of the game to complete this one - I tried to complete as many quests as I could as a Swashbuckler, but I didn't talk to the quest-giver to receive the quest XP after completion. So I reached the max as a Swashbuckler, then dual-classed, and after cleaning up I had to do only about 1,200,000 to regain my Swashie. Exactly at that time I had to fight Bodhi, and I did have to reload a few times.

PS. What is VERY interesting: When you get Use Any Item as a Thief, and then dual-class, the UAI ability STAYS with your fighter - so I was able to wield Carsomyr and wear Amulet of Power as a level 10 fighter. Cool!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.