1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How do you play BG/BGII?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Baronius, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] How do you play rpgs (f.e. BG,BGII and their expansions)?
    Which difficulty level have you chosen?
    Do you often cheat? And so on...
    This poll tries to answer these questions.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 63 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How do you play BG/BGII? (63 votes.)

Your difficulty level (Choose 1)
    * Easy (1) - 2% (1)
    * Normal (2) - 22% (14)
    * AD&D (3) - 68% (43)
    * Hard (4) - 2% (1)
    * Insane (5) - 6% (4)

Patches, mods and expansions (Choose 1)
    * I install only official patches, mods and exps - 29% (18)
    * I install official and unofficial patches,mods and exps - 71% (45)

Be patient! (Choose 1)
    * If I stuck while playing the game, I try to solve it in less than 1 hour, then I use cheat/reload the previous savegame - 38% (24)
    * If I stuck while playing the game, I try to solve it in 1-5 hours, then I use cheat/reload the previous savegame - 49% (31)
    * If I stuck while playing the game, I try to solve it until I succeed (no time limit), if no success, I will delete the game - 13% (8)
    * If I stuck and I cannot solve it in a little time, i will delete the game and play with an other game - 0% (0)

About cheating (Choose 1)
    * I never use cheat - 40% (25)
    * I use cheat if if I stuck and cannot solve it in more than 2 hours - 25% (16)
    * I use cheat if I stuck and I cannot solve it even in a long time - 33% (21)
    * I always cheat - 2% (1)

2. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I always play with AD&D rules.
    I never cheat,instead of cheating when i stuck i look to a walkthrough.
    Loading mods are fun and adds extra gameplay.
    Cheating is a sign of weakness for me.

3. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I play with true AD&D, and I also try to finish the game without looking in someones walkthrough, but that's hard. You should downloads most of the mods and fixes available, it really makes the game a lot more fun....

4. Goldelf Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

me too. core rules and no cheating. magic makes even the hardest fight winable.

5. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I only cheat when the game cheats on me.

Like when a stupid bug prevents me from solving a quest... :almostmad:

6. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I play at core rules the first time through and then insane afterwards because it makes the thing more challenging.

I never cheat if I'm enjoying a game (BG1 & II) but if it's a game that gets very boring very quickly (NWN) I download the walkthru to get me past the tedious parts.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Play either easy or insane.
    Will install mods if I hear good reports from SP members.
    Will try and solve a problem without any time limit but will never delete the game. Might cheat if I suspect there is a problem only solvable by that.
    Cheat if I need to or to test things... different outcomes, complete things quickly on time, try out MODs I work on, play around to see what happens.

8. Istari of Thay Banned

I usually play true AD&D
    when I first get the game...

When I beat it,
    I continue with Insane difficulty...

:p

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

There's a flaw in your poll -- I don't install any patches or mods, primarily because I am too paranoid about mucking things up on my machine. That being the case, I only cheat when a game glitch is unreasonable, or when I'm playing through for reasons other than the main storyline (ie -- a romance or something).

10. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Cheating can make the game get real boring real fast after a load of superficial excitement! So I never cheat unless I have already beaten a game.

11. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I "cheat" by lowering the difficulty level from core rules to normal when raising levels (HP roll) and scribing spells. Because if I don't get it right the first time on core rules, I usually load.

12. Baronius

[​IMG] I agree with the most of you.
    I never cheat, it makes the game boring and stupid.
    It is a weakness as somebody wrote here.
    I did not have enough time to create this poll, so I think it has a lot of errors, but at least the most important things are mentioned.

I install only official mods, patches, etc. Maybe I am a bit conservative, but I think the most of the unofficial patches do not give back a gameĀ“s main values, its magic. (There are some serious exceptions, I tried some of them)

One more thing. I always play in AD&D mode. I think I could play BGII and its companions in hard or insane mode. But then: avoid melee, and pay too much attention, etc - so it would be not enjoyable. And the other thing of course: the core AD&D is the rule. AD&D!

[ April 02, 2003, 13:19: Message edited by: Baronius the Sorcerer ]

13. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I agree with the most and i want to state that some unofficial patches are UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!

14. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    well Generaly I use a mouse and a computer sreen, but I use AD&d rule and never cheat it make the game boriiiiiiiing...

15. Baronius

[​IMG] I am glad to hear that the most of you decline cheating and play correctly. The real player can enjoy a game only this way.

Waiting for new opinions, so keep writing!

16. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I enjoy using the core rules, as it doesnt seem to add the leeway that the 'normal' rules do, such as full HP etc.

Mods are grouse. No other way to put it. If you dont understand it, go to www.toxiccustard.com and ask. Ask and thou shalt receive. Some of the unofficial mods are dumb though. Such as god mode at level 20, dumb new items that are so heavily weighted that it makes the game rediculous, things like that. The extra weapons mods and the 'skip the irenicus dungeon because it is boring and tedious' are very amusing and helpful.

How do you define cheating? I dont consider starting a new character out with 160 000 Xp and all the additional stats that can be gotten through the manuals in BG1 as cheating, merely as starting a BG1 character in BG2 without going through all the trouble of finishing it again etc. Typing in the console to overcome a bug etc i dont consider cheating either.

oh well.

17. Baronius

[​IMG] You are right.
    I havent declared the meaning of cheat here.
    To solve a bug to advance in the game is not a cheat. But if somebody tries to avoid the rules
    (super hacked chars, jumping from an area to another, killing enemies with cheat, etc) in any way, he cheats.
    The unofficial mods: I heard that DSotSC is very good, I downloaded it once (but the archive was damaged), so it did not work. I never tried it again.
    But if I have really wanted it, I would get the expansion. But I dont need it. I do not want any unofficial expansion.
    I became very conservative. And unofficial expansions sometimes cause problems, do not want to run, etc.
    This is my current (and final) opinion. (A year ago I had the same opinion as you)
    And another thing: I do not have so much idle time to play and testing unofficial exps. And the official Black Isle games are garrantee to get a quality game...

18. Foz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The first time through the BG games I didn't cheat. Second time I used a walkthrough to find all the quests I had missed.

19. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Usually start out on a lower difficulty level until I get the hang of the game, then bump it up to core rules.

I will install mods that are designed to increase the challenge or difficulty of the game. Most of the things out there to actually change the rules are called hacks, and I don't mess around with them.

I didn't really like the patience options. If I have a hard time beating a fight, I'm usually willing to replay the battle multiple times (with no limit), but this is dependant on my mood. Sometimes if I get stopped quite a few times, I'll just take a break then come back to the game. If you mean solving bugs, lately I haven't had any time to mess around with that.

I don't cheat, but I do keep the console active to test out mods that I make and whatnot.

20. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I could not answer the poll. It lacked options and the questions were unclear.

All I can say on this subject is that I never use cheats and try to avoid exploiting game flaws and that I absolutely love walkthroughs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.