1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the big deal with Flail of Ages?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dragoon, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Dragoon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Why is this weapon so special? I know that after all the upgrades it deals every possible kind of damage and since it's a blunt weapon it can hurt all the monsters (besides magic golems and other protected from magic weapons). However I still don't understand why is it 'treated' in such a special way. During my fight with Kangaxx Korgan got imprisoned and the Flail was in his inventory. However at the moment of imprisonment the Flail was transported to my inventory so that it would not be lost in case I didn't have freedom scroll. Every other piece of equipment - unique or not - remained in Korgan's inventory. Moreover IIRC the Flail cannot be sold.

2. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Its just a good weapon, it deals +5 damage, +2 x 5 damage extra (2 from each head)

[edit] items that cant be sold could be considered key items and they will remain in your party, hopefully

[This message has been edited by kevlar0101 (edited August 29, 2001).]

3. Angel of Def Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Besides the extra damage, it can also slow enemies (IIRC).
    So maybe it's not the most powerfull weapon, it is a very good weapon and I believe it's the best flail out there! (or are there better ones?)

4. Creslyn Gems: 3/31

Dont forget the free action and 5% magic resistance. It also may be considered a key item in that the developers are giving you a hint that you will need all types of damage to kill some of the nasty little creatures throughout the game.*SPOILER* Some examples would the be the various slimes and trolls, and in TOB there are quite a few new creatures that need different elemental damages to kill. The Flail of Ages +5 is the ONLY item in the game that can kill anything in the game (magic golems being the exception).

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I found the flail of the ages (FOTA) to be one of the most versatile weapons in BG-2 SoA. It can indeed hurt nearly everything.

But IMHO the best thing about FOTA are the extra damages (frost/ fire/ acid iirc) seem have the nice side effect to disrupt enemy spellcasting since this damage occurs after the blunt damage of the flail itself. So the FOTA became my halfling cavalier's fav anti-mage weapon (and anti-troll and anti-golem weapon as well).
    In ToB the two additional heads for electricity and poison improved this effect considerably.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited August 30, 2001).]

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Flail of the Ages +3 is my favorite weapon in SoA (Celestial Fury close behind) for the different elemental damage - good vs mages - and the slowing ability.

The upgraded to +5 version is fantastic.

7. Hayashi Gems: 3/31

IIRC there's a halberd +4 (Dragon's Breath) that has quite a number of different elemental damage like poison, lightning etc. Sarevok is using it now in my party. ;)

8. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

yeah flail of the ages is a pretty nifty weapon when you're not sure what hurts a certain creature - often i use the flail wielding character to find out

9. Dragoon Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] I know it's a great weapon but my main question was why it's treated like a key item.

Now something pretty stupid (for me at least) about this flail or rather about the race that created it. It was created by Rakshasa race so they should have other powerful items. However when I fight them there are only ordinary swords some common scrolls from time to time and there was this Stone giant's girdle. A little lame for a race capable of creating an item so powerful.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I suppose there are several Rakshasas around the land. Why assume the ones you fought are the clever ones with all the nifty items. The clever ones are shapeshifted and hidden ;)

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited September 01, 2001).]

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

stone giant girdle? where on earth do you get that beast?!!

12. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

SPOILER>>>>
    CHAPTER 7 In Suldanessalar, in the Priestess' House are 3 Rakshasas. Loot one of them for the girdle.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited September 02, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.