1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: The best one-handed weapon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Advanced Simplicity, Sep 30, 2004.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    It always depends on your character. If you're low on STR, Angurvadal is your friend (and good for thieves for this obvious reason, especially considering they can't get percentile STR but just 18). Katanas beat anything else to damage and Celestial Fury has the nice stunning effect. Also, katanas seem ideal weapons for thieves (they can't get anything more deadly). Then that Axe of Unyielding chops heads. Runehammer is oh so great against undead. So, it depends on the character that wields it and the enemy against whom it's going to be used.

2. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I agree with most. Celestial Fury is very good if you're running a thief or dual-wielding. I, however, find it somewhat useless after a point in ToB. Just doesn't seem to do the job like it does in SoA.

What I've done, with some success, is to equip Haer'Dalis with Angurvadal and The Answerer. Entropy and Chaos just aren't worth it in ToB. Lowering MR by 15% and AC by 2 with each hit works wonders against dragons and the like. The 22 STR doesn't hurt any either.

3. Tardazor Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I´m like Foebane because is a +5 Bastard sword, and every successful hit, the target is affected with Larnoch Minor Drain, this spell make that the creature affected loses 1-4 hp and the caster receive him. The gaining isn't great, but sometimes you can win 60 HP in a combat and make you nearly immortal.

4. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

foebane and blackeazor is an insane combo.... dubl drain an very good dammage....
    and in the combo you have a +5 weapon so you don't have to switch for a two hander when you have to kill god like enemys.
    but it's very late you get foebane, and blackR for that matter, but exactly when do tou get foebane, AFAIK you get the upgrade when beating the bhaalspawn dragon?!? but i am most likely wrong.

long time since i have played.... looking forward to beginning soon.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You get upgraded Foebane right away in ToB, sword in the first level of WK and scabbard right before fighting Gromnir.

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

A very important factor is when you can get a specific weapon.
    The later in the game you can get it the less useful it is.

This is the reason I did not rank Crom Faeyr very high in SoA, before ToB was released.

Celestial Fury and Flail of the Ages are the best SoA weapons. I think FotA still is a top contender in ToB, but CF does not quite make it.

While there are several great ToB-weapons, when all things are considered I think Flail of the Ages is the best one-handed weapon in the game.
    - You get it very early
    - It's upgradeable
    - All the elemental damage
    - Finally becomes +5
    - Blunt damage

Crom Faeyr is IMHO often overrated.
    There are so many strength enhancing items - like four girdles - that you hardly need the 25 strength effect. Your melee characters will hit everything anyway with their high THAC0 and 19+ strength.

This means that the only true bonus you get is extra damage from 25 strength.
    Your melee characters will be equipped with a girdle of giant strength which will give them +7, +8, +9 or +10 damage bonus. Str 25 gives you +14 damage bonus. I don't think the difference is significant enough to put Crom Faeyr among the best weapons.

That leaves the special slaying effect which is quite handy, but since it is so limited it's not nearly as useful as the effects of many other weapons.

[ October 04, 2004, 15:50: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Earl Grey

Agreed. That having been said, I think that it makes a pretty nice off-handed weapon, especially for clerics who typically don't have great THAC0s like the fighter types do. The cleric's base THAC0 maxes out at 6 (whereas the fighter types go all the way to 0), so having a strength enhancing item that improves your THAC0 by 7 is handy. Also, in the case of straight clerics, they only get one attack per round with their main hand weapon, so adding a second weapon effectively doubles their attacks per round, and increases the damage each hit causes.

8. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I voted for the axe of the unyielding.
    But in terms of overall utility, taking into account how soon you can grab them, I reckon the ranking goes

Belm. For making everything else better.
    Kundane. Would be joint top but druids cant use it.
    IMoD. A one handed,undead splatting, plus 5, blunt damage dealing, concentrated lump of nastiness on a stick? That you can get in chapter 3? I'll have some of that. What's that you say? negative plane protection as well. Hot damn!

FoA
    Celestial Fury. Because even though I probably won't use it all the way through, its a damn fine weapon for a very long time.

9. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

@Aldeth
    There are enough strength enhancing items for everyone and on top of that clerics have spells with which they improve their fighting prowess.

Clerics make good tanks and I prefer to use a shield and load her up with other items so she gets a superb AC. My fighters typically dual wield so they can't be true tanks.

There's no denying that str 25 is good, but is it enough to make the weapon qualify as one of the best weapons?

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Earl - no of course not. I said it was a good off-hand weapon. I still contend that in SoA, the best weapon if FotA, and in ToB AofU.

11. Tiberius Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I know this is not on the general scheme of the thread but what about the quivering palm strike? If I am not mistaken it is pretty damaging. I just don't remember how many times you can use it in a row.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I had to vote Axe of the Unyielding, as it gives some really nice bonuses. Overall, the Flail of the Ages +5 would be the most useful (can hurt nearly everything). I like Celestial Fury, but unfortunately it becomes much less useful in ToB.

13. Soulbringer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is there a reasón for peaple to like Celestial Fury...
    Its a crap weapon like other +3 enchanted weapons, you cant use it through all the game because some monster need a higher enchantmnet bonus than 3...

14. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

I voted for Axe of the Unyielding, although Angurvadal and Spectral Brand are damn fine weapons too. Sadly, you can't backstab with an Axe... even if it lops off heads like nobody's business.

Yes. I don't care if there's a weapon that inflicts greater damage, there is a very simple maxim that applies to this: if an opponent can't fight back, they can't beat you. Moreover, you can surround them and start wailing on them with no fear of reprisals and multiple CF hits, each potentially causing a stun effect.
    Some monsters, yes. But the absolute majority of them are vulnerable to Celestial Fury, and you get it very quickly in SoA if you want it. And if you're that keen to keep using it, download the Item Upgrade mod and forge Celestial Fury +5... not that I would, but it's do-able.

15. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

My vote goes to Three weapons depending on class.
    Carsomyre, Flail of the Ages, and Staff of Power.
    You got to love unlimited invisibility and that extra Lvl 9 spelltrap. I love using the staff of power with my assassin.
    Oops thought you said single weapon style not one handed.
    I'll say Imp.Mace or Azuredge durring SOA and
    Flail or Axe of Unyielding durring TOB.

[ October 30, 2004, 05:31: Message edited by: Deathbringer ]

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Other than your little mistake with "one-handed," you mean to say staff of the magi, not staff of power. Staff of power is a disappointing item that exists for the novelty of killing of apprentices only.

17. Deathbringer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yeah, Those two always confuse me. Same with the 2 robes. reflection and that other one. LOL, I can't even remember the name. Man. I got to get my pc up and running again. I think my lore is about on par with Minsc right now.

18. Balle Gems: 19/31

robe of vecna?

19. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think he means the cloak of mirroring.

20. Balle Gems: 19/31

yea i know but also robe of vecna, ´he said two robes

vecna and cloak of mirroring(even if this is NOT a robe)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.