1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Heavy Tanks

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by All Creation, Aug 29, 2001.

1. All Creation Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] When fighting big bosses like Demogorgan, Ravenger ect. I found it almost impossible to kill Demogorgan without atlease 3 heavy tanks in my party.

In the heat of battle mages cast spells too slowly, get confused, held ect because they have poor saving throws. Mages can only spell strike and lower Demogoragns defences but they can never do him any serious damage.
    I have to use the pause button many times just to cast a spell.

I found it impossible to kill Demo with a party of mages. They can not summon more than 5 monsters unless you use the project image trick, details are given in my last post. But all the summoned creatures dont last long in a battle and do no damage to Demo. Mages protection spells don't last long and mages die after 2 hits.

Before you can start to summon more monsters and get a protection spell up your dead.

When I used a party of tanks I found out that I nothing can stand in my way.

A high level fighter has massive saving throwns which means that the fighter rarely gets confused, held or stunned in battle if hit by a spell.

Nothing is immune to +5 and +6 enchanted weapons except magical golems.

With Enrage, Kai, Sure Shot, Hardiness and Greater Whirlwind a party of fighters will do up to 60 attacks per round.

Demogorgan and his 5 minions didn't even last longer than 5 seconds.

The game was too easy with 6 heavy tanks.

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

You don't meet any really nasty wizards with a proper AI, so it's not that weird really.

or any other with proper AI for that matter... geez

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited August 29, 2001).]

3. Angel of Def Gems: 1/31

Yeah think you're right. The game is way easier with a party of tanks than a party of wizards. It's a shame actually, there should be enemies (made out of fog or something) that can ONLY be hit by magics. I found my sorcerer had it's use vs Demogorgon because I had the robe of vecna, amulet of power and the staff of the magi. But without these items.....mages are always in the shadows of a strong tank............. :(

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Which is why druids/clerics are a good alternative!!!

5. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I found that they didn't have many items useful for Mages/Sorcerers besides the aforementioned items. Had they included the Shadowstaff from the 3E DM's Guide, Mages/Sorcerers would be returned to their proper standing in the world of D&D. And I agree that the game should have used some type of ethereal enemy only hittable by magic; not some puny weapon. A big fan of magic-users myself, I was disappointed to find that there were absolutely no good spellcasters in the game (aside from the possibility if you use a PC Sorcerer). And the fact that the AI isn't very good adds to my disappointment.

Personally, I never use tanks and Demogorgon lasted two rounds against my solo Sorcerer. Melissan was pathetic, even with Timestop. Watcher's Keep was a pushover; the only challenge there was one of the sets of guardians of Demogorgon's chamber (the one with the Drow and the Hive Mother and the Marilith). Besides, when you can summon a Fallen Planetar wielding the Silver Sword, who needs tanks?

Had there been an enemy who used great offensive AI, I would still be experimenting with the game; alas, but no. I still wipe the floor with any enemy I see. Once I got Arkanis Gath to 'Injured' before I died, and that's quite a feat considering I play solo. At any rate, the rate of enemy AI was far too disappointing. Maybe that Improved Demogorgon patch will sate my desire for a challenge.

6. All Creation Gems: 1/31

I don't think you can kill Demogorgan with and his minions a single planetar using one silver sword. You need an army skeleton warriors and about 5 Planetars using my project image summoning trick detailed in my last post.

I think Draconis was a good boss with a reasonable AI.

One mage VS Demogorgan and you manage to killed him in 2 seconds?

7. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

I never implied that Demogorgon and his minions fell in two rounds. Demogorgon himself, did, however. And I never said that the Planetar took him down, either. I implied that the Planetar makes a great tank, and with a tank like that to distract the enemies, it makes quite a clean shot for any mages you have in the background. Personally, though, I found Demogorgon's Marilith friends (the only ones he got to summon in my game) to be a bit harder than the Prince of Demons himself; which was quite surprising.

The only tanks I've ever used are Sarevok and Keldorn; first time through, though, I used Minsc and Jaheira (big mistake). At any rate, the Prince of Demons had better watch out; any higher-level Sorcerer could easily usurp him.

8. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

To AvaLance: Don't you think that Edwin is a good spellcaster? I certainly do.

9. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

What? I've not played that far but in my experience tanks - even the variety that have tracks and cannon and the like are inferior to mages.

10. All Creation Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Your Quote "Personally, I never use tanks and Demogorgon lasted two rounds against my solo Sorcerer. ".

1. Which means you never used Tanks because you went Solo as a Sorcerer.

2. You killed Demogorgan in two rounds.

Also it is not possible to kill Demogorgan in two rounds will any party because you cannot inflict over 390 points of damange to him in two rounds.

With the improved Demogorgan patch. He can cast Full Heal on himself, Summon up to 8 minions, Uses Time Stop and Storm of Vegence(Good Spell Distruption spell on my mages).

My party of 6 mages with 30 summoned Skeleton Warriors and 5 Planetars didn't last 2 seconds when my summoned fell.

With my party of my 6 mages. I had to pause the game many times, then cast a spell and then unpause the game just to cast a single spell from each mage. I tried to summon my huge army back but Demo and his minions killed my army faster than I can summon. Then my party of mages all cast protection spell but didn't even last 2 rounds when I lost my huge army.

11. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31

Quite simple actually: read my post in the "Who Needs Time Stop" topic. And you're right: maybe it wasn't exactly two rounds, but I'd say at most four.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.