1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Party with Paladin.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Nakia, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I am starting a new party with a male Paladin-undead hunter as my main char. Stats are:
    St=18/64 Dex=10 Con=15 Int=14 Wis=15 Ch=17.

My question is my party make-up. In SoA I would like to keep it small, four people if possible. I have UB installed and want to do the Boo Quest so I need Minsc. In past games I have taken the following through ToB:
    Imoen, Jaheira, Minsc, Nalia, Korgan, Edwin, Vicky, Jan, and of course Sarevok. Others I may have had briefly in my party but not all the way.
    I have never done Anomen's or Mazzy's quests.
    I have the Ascension/Redemption mods installed. I would appreciate some ideas as to who I should take.

2. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Well, you don't like Anomen, so don't take him, obviously ;)

Mazzy+Valygar have interesting dialogs.
    Jaheira+Minsc+Mazzy+Valygar seems like a good party.

Probably, as you've been with Jaheira most of the times, don't take her this time, this way you got only four people.

3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

I'd recommend this:
    - Undead Hunter (Well, not really. I prefer Inquisitor)
    - Minsc
    - Aerie
    - Jan

But since you've had Jan (and Imoen and Nalia) along before the only thief remaining is Yoshimo, so go with him instead of Jan.
    That probably means that you want to take a fifth character along. How about this then:
    - Undead Hunter
    - Minsc
    - Aerie
    - Yoshimo
    - Anomen

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've taken Jan so often I think I should change and I've never redeemed Yoshimo or whatever you do.

I just started so I could change to inquisitor but I thought Johan's (charname) stats were pretty good and it only took 10" to roll. I' don't have very much patience. I've never played a Paladin before. :angel: I also have the Virtue mod installed. So I have to be very, very good.

Drat, I really only wanted four for SoA but I think Earl Grey is right. Anomen and Aerie would be 95% new. Actually, Anomen would be 99% new since the only time I had him in party lasted about five mins real time. That was 4.99" too long.

I'll pick up Imoen at Spellhold. Since I have a good MainChar I thought I would try redeeming Irenicus when I get to ToB.

[ February 25, 2005, 14:45: Message edited by: Nakia Nightshadow ]

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I would go for:

Paladin
    Minsc
    Aerie
    Yoshimo / Imoen.

It's hard to do four person parties AND use new people because there are certain party roles like Thief and Cleric that can only be filled by a few people.

6. Nakia

Media:
    let's me think. My Paladin is an undead hunter. Could change to an inquisitor if that is better. I have never played Paladin. But after playing a evil character it seem to be the thing to do. Just to know what happened.
    Minsc would give me another fighter. Aerie is c/m She would have healing spells. The Paladin would also. Minsc picks up some spells. Don't remember what. Yoshimo Thief. Then Imoen who is pretty good. Might be able to do it. I've always had a full party- Would like a change and a challenge.

If I do the Unseeing eye might take Keldorn but only for a while.

Oh the decisions to be made. :confused:

7. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Paladin
    Minsc (he's optional)
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Aerie

1.5 mages, .5 druid, .5 cleric, and Paladin, Jaheira (and optionally Minsc) make great tanks.

8. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hmm, what if the party is PC+Yoshimo+Valygar+Mazzy ? You don't need a cleric, with two Rods of Resurrection, and a mage is not important at the beginning of the game. Later you'll have Imoen.

9. Ban'Darlae Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm pretty sure if you choose a kit like inquisitor or undead hunter, you lose the lay on hands ability and you won't be able to cast priest spells. So no, your paladin can't heal.
    Don't know about the cavalier though.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Nakia Nightshadow wrote:
    Minsc is in.
    Ok, some of you still might have problems understanding that so I'll rephrase it:
    Minsc must be in the party.

11. Nakia

Media:
    @Earl Grey, not sure why but your post made me laugh. Maybe because it is 6:50 AM which is about 2 hrs too early for me. LOL at this hr is great.

BTW I can't fault anyone for ignoring/not noticing because I have posted some dumb things because I just didn't pay proper attention. "Judge not...."

Thank you. Yes Minsc is in. That's two fighters and IIRC Pally-undead hunter gets some heal spells and can use them. Not much at beginning but some.

The early party choices are:
    Jaheira, Anomen, Keldorn, Yoshimo, Aerie, Valygar, Cernd or Mazzy. Maybe Haer'Dalis but I have played him all the way through SoA.

This time thru I would like to keep main party to four (4). Might pick someone up temporarily.
    Aerie and Jaheira add romance. MY PC is male but I do not have flirt pack installed.

I think I'll keep Yoshimo ('til Spellhold natch) It's the fourth permanent person I'm having trouble with. Think it boils down to Jaheira or Aerie. I'm leaning towards Aerie.

Man can I babble at this hour.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You dont have a thief and traps are a plenty. Guess you will have to take Yoshi/Immy.
    Valygar and Keldron are interesting charecters.
    I hate Mazzy but you hate Anomen.

What IS your party? Undead Hunter, Minsc, Jaheira and Aerie right?

13. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

For a Paladin, you should get yourself a "good and righteous party".
    So you should at least have Keldorn, Valigar and Nalia and Mazzy in your party, Minsc does well too.
    You can also add Sarevok to your party, and make him Chaotic Good in the dialogues with him.
    WARNING!!! Adding Sarevok makes your Paladin a fallen paladin, so watch out.

14. Nakia

Media:
    Undead Hunter, Minsc, Yoshi/Immy, either Jaheira or Aerie. Jaheira right now.

15. Ancient Galatan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, i always got Jaheira angry when i was a paladin, because i got my reputation to high, so if you don't want her angry, don't add her.

16. Nakia

Media:
    Really? Didn't know that. Thanks. Guess my party is settled. Aerie it is.

17. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Actually, if you have EoU mod installed, there is an option for happy parties, they won't leave if you get your rep real high. But it's your game, go with who you want.

18. C-F Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm currently playing a Paladin (first time SoA/ToB), just got to the Underdark, had Jaheira since start, current rep = 20 and had no probs so far...
    (me, Minsc, Yoshi/Immy, Nalia, Arie, Jaheira), guess I like 'my girls'...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.