1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Garren in the Windspear Hills - SoA

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Hannigaholic, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Hannigaholic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

OK I turned up to the Hills, I killed the ogres at the beginning and this Garren bloke says to come to his cabin - I can't be arsed to listen to what he has to say so I deliver the nuts to the Dryads and head off to this dungeon in the top-right corner of the map

Anyway, lo and behold this Garren dude is there and he goes on about how his boy has been taken - so I ask him about the Order of the Radient Heart and he moans about how I care more about that than his son

So anyway, I change my tack and agree to rescue the brat. In I go - I meet this nice girl by the name of Salia or something who turns out not to be so nice, but when I finally find this out (she confronts me) my journal just tells me that she failed in her attempt or summat like that, without me having laid a finger on her

This was my first surprise

The 2nd was when I'd rescued the kid (didn't kill the dragon, Firkragg, because he was pretty nails). I come out of the dungeon having saved this ingrate and his dad (Garren) is there when I come out and he, along with a little group of orcs, attacks me so he's now dead

So anyway, I go to his cabin anyway (for the first time) and find the pathetic little brat in there and guess what - he's dead now as well because he thought it would be fun to take on a group of well-equipped adventurers that just made mincemeat of his dad, a shedload of undead and an adamantite golem

Anyway - surely this is quite a major bug in the code if I save the kid only to have both he and Garren turn on me

And what's this I read about Garren having a daughter? I've not come across her at all...

2. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Salia is a tome-robber who wants to use you to clear out the top level of Firkraag's dungeon for her and retrieve some items. Once you do that she and her cronies turn up and try to kill you.

As for Garren turning hostile, did you cast any area affect spells when you fought the orcs? I've done that sort of thing before while fighting the Gith in the city and had the entire city turn hostile because I caught a couple of peasants in a Fireball blast.

The sex of Garren's child depends on the sex of the PC. A male PC gets a female to rescue, a female PC gets a male to rescue. As far as I know this doesn't make any difference in the long run.

3. Hannigaholic Gems: 1/31

My problem with Samia is that she turned up and then it was as if I'd already defeated her - then she turned up about 5 minutes later (I'd forgotten to add that) and it was just her and she couldn't move

I'm a male PC and Garren still had a son

I didn't use any spells on the orcs at all - Garren was just there as soon as I got out of the dungeon and was already hostile

I think what might have happened is that because I patched up to the latest ToB patch after starting my game it might have messed some things up

Or it might be because I'm officially in Chapter 3?

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Quite possibly.

That has nothing to do with it. I've done that quest in Chapter 2, 3, and 6.

5. Hannigaholic Gems: 1/31

Maybe I should be thankful that this is the only problem I've had

And I got to slaughter innocent civilians without Minsc getting angry at me (actually I got away with "taking care of" that annoying guy in Trademeet who keeps following you around saying 'heya' and nobody batted an eyelid)

6. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think you can kill Neeber (the annoying guy in Trademeet) without reputation loss or anyone turning hostile in the original, unmodded, unpatched version of the game. Maybe he's so irritating the locals are pleased to see the back of him.

7. Bloke with sword Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

does garren actually reward you for saving that dumbass kid?

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You don't die later on in the story. I'd say that's a good reward.

9. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Saving Garren's child gives you access to the Paladin's stronghold quests if you are playing a paladin.

10. Lynx Lupo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

I had a similar problem. When I returned from the dungeon, there was in all 2 fathers and 2 sons, half of them being invulnerable. I couldn't talk with either, so the whole paladin stronghold thing went down the drain. :(

11. Bloke with sword Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] to rastor: what do you mean you dont die?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.