1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Firkraag solo (tactics module)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by casey, Dec 29, 2003.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Anyone here manage to pull it off short of a a Sorcerer, Quivering palm or 7 spike traps?

I've been trying to do this with my solo M/C Kensai/Mage (using SK) and am at level 14/14 and havent been to the underdark yet, and he keeps on kicking my arse. Should I come back at a higher level or am I just not using the right tactics? I use wand of monster summoning and and resurection often but in between summoning monsters, healing and keeping my defences up whenever he brings them down I'm having a hard time.

I can only get 40% fire resistance with the ring and need potions and scrolls to finish it off and fire shield red but he never fails to dispel and wingbuffet me to a corner/firebreath and buffet while I'm knocked out. the closest I've got is while using the acid katana but I don't want to use that since it seems to be cheesy and I'd perfer way's other then timestop.

Edit: also where can i find the spell immunity scrolls?

[ December 29, 2003, 20:41: Message edited by: Beren ]

2. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Use spell immunity abjuration (im actually not sure if it works for firks dispel but its worth a shot). Level 14 mage huh? Use improved haste of course. Buff your ass up like no tommorow and get ure resistance at 100 or up. Use summons if u can (with wand), just to annoy him. Dont bother with lower resistance. Just get his protections down and attack with as much speed as possible.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Like the guy who posted before me said...the trick here is to kick his butt in melee before he kills you, using the tons of spells you have to your advantage. If you dont want to resort to cheese, I'd recommend not casting any buffs before the fight coz he dispels them anyway. What you CAN do however, is cast Stoneskin AFTER he casts the Remove Magic. Get a fairly powerful summon like Animate Dead, once your level 15 of course...(1 level shouldnt be a problem)...and while he is busy with that, cast Improved Haste, and then POUND the sh*t out of him.

Simple...and if you want variety, you could always cast a couple of Skull Traps around the dude to soften him up a bit. His MR doesnt have a 100% chance to block the spell you know, just 60 %...you might get lucky ;)

4. casey Gems: 15/31

Thank you Faraaz but, I try to avoid taking gambling chances in this game (or as much as possible for D&D) and the problem was finding that damn immunity scroll (found it now forgot where). And how do I "kick his ass" in melee when he wing buffets me off the planet, before I hack through his stoneskin since my Breach and Dispel is not powerful enough to break his stoneskin.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

14/14 Kensai-Mage (how? Shouldn't the fighter part be levelling a lot faster?) will put you pretty close to obtaining HLAs. If you wait a bit, getting Improved Alacrity and Summon Planetar will end your worries with Firk. Surprisingly, Dragon's Breath works on him too.

You'll have to figure out a way to keep him in one place and keep pressure on him with spells. You can make yourself immune to his dispel and breath attack, and if you lower his resistance you could always pelt him with magic missiles.

6. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Actually both Mage 14 and Fighter 14 occur at 1.5mill XP.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Heh, I should really be checking the rulebook.

Fighter levels up faster after that then.

8. Elemental DarkLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Rastor, Kensai-Mage is not multiclass but dual-class. You start as kensai and then dual to a mage. He got 14-14 by stopping as a ken at 14 then dual to mage.

Anyway, to the topic... I know one of the most cheesy tactics in killing firk...
    Try this...

First, use your summons to serve as annoyance but don't let them attack firk yet.
    Then cast lower resist on him together with your summons attacking him. ( try to observe good distance away from firk so that he will notice the summons first). Then follow it up with greater Malison and the cheesy part, throw chromatic orb at him. Though this tactic require luck, one out of three chromatic should finish his precious antique life.

Few know this tactic including the moderators of course and they might get angry to what i posted. This is one mistake done by Black Isle and i guess there exist a patch that fixed this.

I've done this several times making firk a rabbit to me. This tactic would take at most 1 minute if you're quick.

There are more cheesy tactics in killing him but i don't want to post it.

Just imagine A Hundreds year old red dragon Far older Than Gorion's generation is killed with a level one spell chromatic orb. :p

[ January 02, 2004, 05:53: Message edited by: Elemental DarkLord ]

9. casey Gems: 15/31

@ DarkLord: Improved Firekraag ignores summons your probably thinking of the old unmodded (easier) Firk. And I clearly said that I was using a M/C (multi-class) Kensai Mage which I did by starting with a regular F/M (Fighter/Mage) and usinf SK (shadowkeeper) to add the Kensai kit to the vanilla (regular)fighter and making all his saves, HP's (hitpoints) and proficiencies etc to the equal of a level one fighter. Does this answer your question?

Edit: BTW thanks for the advice guys I came back after the Underdark and beat seven shades of hell out of him :) also I've got the XP cap remover for my character and I shudder to think of what a beast this guy would be at K 8,000,000XP/M 8,000,000, do you realize that improved alacricity lets you use the HLA's Hardiness GWW and Critical strike simultaneously?

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31

If you read the original post, you'd see that he used SK to make his character a multi-class.

Improved Firk does not ignore summons, he just Death Spells them, so that tactic won't work. Also, Tactics Firk is always moving, so once again, your tactic won't work. That's as cheesy as using traps. You think Firk wouldn't notice if creatures started being summoned? Tactics one will.

11. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Try using a solo F/M/T with exp cap removed. I actually picked up 24 million exp when I soloed him. This guy was an insane monster. I was able to beat every boss fight 2 seconds after I got their protections down with a GWW + assasination combo. It was truly beastly.

12. Elemental DarkLord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sorry, i wsn't able to read the post clearly and just scanned it.

By the way, i guess if you read my post again, i mean the ummodified firk ( the first firk ) and not the unmoded firk.

Though it is not clear, the firk i mean is the easy firk. And also to be honest, i don't have a modification for firk.

13. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I heard that with solo Sorcerer there is a big chance you can squash through the floor Firkraag. Double Greater Malision and Lower Rezist and after that some sort ot spell can enter his defences... Dunno. Never did that. Firkraag was quite an opponent fer me...

14. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31

Well he said has anyone been able to pull it off short of a sorcerer, and the other overpowered things. Yes sorc can solo any opponent in the game and come out completely healthy.

Also elemental that is one of the most, if not the most common way of killing a dragon. If you dont have finger of death you use chromatic. Except your strategy is foolish because you only use one lower resist. This strategy has been completely polished already, and requires a spell trigger or sequencer, another trigger or sequencer, and finger of death, or chromatic orb in large numbers. Its not a mistake by Black Isle, it justs makes the unmodded dragons pathetic, and unworthy opponents.

15. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Time stop --> double Greater Malision --> double Lower Rezist --> triple Finger of Death --> Ouch! That hurts plenty...

16. Crom the Powerfull Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I think you forgot the improved alcatry, because without that, you wont be able to cast all that in just one timestop. Robe of vecna is required too for all this I think.

17. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Wouldn't it make more sense to do the Lower Resistances first? Otherwise your Malisons have a good chance of being wasted.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.