1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Throne of Bhaal: Newbie Thoughts

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Man, those labs were hard work. But the main problem was not the puzzle but the fact that we kept dying from standing too close to the acid pool. Took me ages to work out that the damage was not from a monster or poison (Viconia cast Neutralise Poison til the cows came home to no avail).

Now we have run out of money after buying everything that Cespenar offered to make (because it's the only way to find out if it is any good or not). Most of it so far has been next to useless, but the upgrade to the Flail of Ages is pretty cool. So cool, in fact, that Viconia has reliquished it as her weapon so that Arya can carry it in her off-hand (despite my reservations about whether Arya would really be strong enough to dual wield a big katana and a big flail). Viconia has too many spells to cast now to ever get best use out of the Flail. She now carries that ice flail thing which is still pretty decent.

Nalia just got her first HLA - she chose Comet, but now realises that means she has to choose between that and the very useful Time Stop in her level 9 slot. She should have gone for the extra 7th level spell instead.

2. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

At this stage...may I recommend Dragon's Breath?

Both Comet and DB do similar things...fire damage, and knockback effect...however, DB ignores MR!! This is such a great thing in ToB!

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Extra spells first, then planetars, dragon's breath, and imp.alactricity. MR or not, time stop + imp.alactr. + d.breath will break almost any enemy. Except for the last boss, who cheats in any case.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I agree with Wirhe.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh well, too late now. One day, Nalia will actually get to fire her Comet at someone.

Meanwhile, Viconia has just got her first HLA. She chose Implosion.

Minsc now has three HLAs (Whirlwind, Greater Whirlwind, and Hardiness).

Sarevok has Power Attack and Critical Strike.

Hmm, that leaves Arya who is still waiting to reach her first HLA level. Maybe it will happen on this next level of Watcher's Keep.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Implosion is fun. If you're into summonings, you might want to give the Fallen Deva a try.

Gee this is fun. Memories of days of old :D It's hard to resist the temptation to start doling out unwanted hints

7. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

HB...any idea what to take for Arya when she gets HLAs? I recommend something a bit subtle...you'll know what I'm talking about! :D

8. Harbourboy

This 'maze' level is a nightmare. But plenty of XP to be had from all the respawned monsters we keep having to fight every time we stumble into the wrong room. But we need more cash so we can Cespenar to make us some more stuff.

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, when you first entered the maze level, you may have noticed an elf running through the south portal. If you can find that room, you'll be able to find a journal that can be of ... assistance.

Not a spoiler really. Just a finger nudge in a direction that will save you considerable pain.

10. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I just make a map. Which exits go to which rooms thing. Then go around and kill everything

11. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Anyone else ever kill themselves in that area when they tried to heal themselves? Isn't that a pain in the arse...

12. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    all the wild magic from the mephits annoyed the hell out of me, that's for sure

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I've always followed that map. Am I missing anything by not going into any other rooms?

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I think you are missing out on the second group of demons in that level...which is actually a sidequest for the leader of the first group of demons you run across.

15. Lord Sven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

And also an upgradeable bastard sword I think... (If you're from evil alignment)

16. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Keldorn was turned into a women in that area in one of my games. It was a little unsettleing.

17. Harbourboy

Ah, still stuck in this crazy maze but Arya has just got her first High Level Ability. Looking through the list, it looks like Thieves get the best abilities as there were plenty of good ones to choose from. She ended up going with Use Any Item as this one seemed a little too good to be true. Amazingly, it means that she can bypass her Kensai restrictions and wear the White Dragon Scale Armour that Cespenar made, taking her AC from 2 down to -8. Fantastic!

18. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That feels almost a bit like cheating when you do that. I got my mage/thief to wear the sentinel shield for a huge AC boost after she got UAI.

19. Harbourboy

Yeah, she is super-powerful now. And now she has a new weapon in her off-hand - the Spectral Brand scimitar. That seems more suitable than that big looking Flail of Ages. The Flail has now gone to Minsc who is dual wielding it with whatever he needs at the time, usually Mace of Disruption.

So, we've now finished the maze level after getting past that poncey guy with his crazy card game (ended up losing some XP though, which was a bit annoying).

And now, on to the NEXT level (this place is huge......) and what happens? We get killed by some idiot in a giant machine.

20. Minh So Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

haha, a group of mind flayers and giths run like chickens, right ? :lol:

btw, did you win the wish croll ?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.