1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Has the game gotten boring yet?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Kitrax, May 20, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, has it? It has for me twice. I got SoA the same week that it hit the shelves and played it as often as I could. After I'd played through is 4 times though, it got kind of boring...so I took a couple months' break from SoA. Then ToB came out and I got into to it again. But sadly, ToB wasn't long enough for me, so I got bored with it.

(off topic)
    Personally I think BGII and its expansion should have let the player explore more of Faerun. Why not have a quest for Minsc and have to go North to Rasheman (sp), or a side trip to Waterdeep?

(back on topic)
    Sure mods help, but the good ones seem to take forever to be developed...and having too many mods installed can really mess the game up if you're not careful.

So let me know how you feel. I made it a poll so you can remain anonymous...though I doubt the Admin.s would ban you for saying that you're bored with BGII. :p :rolling:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 26 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Has the game gotten boring yet? (26 votes.)

Has the game gotten boring yet? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 23% (6)
    * No - 73% (19)
    * Just the results for me... - 4% (1)

Do you agree with my off topic rant? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 69% (18)
    * No - 19% (5)
    * Just the results for me... - 12% (3)

2. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I used to have the same problem with games, I'd play one for ages and then get bored with it. Now I hardly ever have that problem, because I keep changing very often. I'll play one game for a fixed time, say an hour, and then move onto another. That way I don't get bored, and I can always look forward to when that game comes round again. The only bad side is that the story develops pretty slowly, especially when you don't have all that much time for gaming anyway... :)

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

[​IMG] Has Baldurs Gate II ever gotten boring?
    NEVER.
    I've played it right through... countless times. Every time i replay it something new happens.
    Sometime though i do go through stages of up to 2 months when i can't get into the game but that never lasts long.
    It's a Great Game!

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I will agree that the quests do get repetitive after a while. What I have done is attempt to take very different parties through the game each time I do it. I can say that I have probably used every character extensively. While 16 NPC's do not leave endless possibilities for parties, the number of different groups you can take along certainly number at least several dozen. Plus, many kits and multi-classes do not have any NPC's associated with them, so the only way to experience them in the game is to play them as a main character.

I also agree that worthwhile mods are difficult to find. The only mod I have added is Kelsey's, which IMHO, is very well integrated into the game. It's like he was always supposed to be there. If anyone knows of other mods that perform that well (whether they be character mods or otherwise) I'd love to hear about them. I will never add a mod just to have it, but I would like those that actually add to the game.

5. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Badur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn will NEVER become boring. It is the best game in the world!

But Throne of Bhaal could become boring. It's a very good expansion but the replay value isn't the same.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

At times, but I havenĀ“t yet tried 'Insane' difficulty; that should keep the game interesting for a while.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I don't agree with your little OT rant and that's because the game has a decent enough depth and freedom as it is. Yes, it could have been larger, but you could always want more. Compare it to the NWN campaign for example and see how great BG2 is. Also I think they didn't want to make BG2 as open as BG1, but I'm not sure about this because it's been so long ago.

8. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

shure the game gets repetive....but never boring... i just take a break once in a while and then play bg2 again.....

with mods the game gets abit more funnier (tactical and ascension)

9. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I do think that TOB gets boring after playing it a dozen times. Even if you take a break and start again. I just don't find it as good as SOA. Just because you're really pushed and you haven't got the same freedom. All this seems pretty logical since it's an add on, but I think I've had more fun playing mods.
    SOA is a whole different story. I've played the game numerous times and still like it every time I play it. I have even finished the game with the same setup (my assasin, Edwin, Viconia, Korgan) about 6 times. I haven't played it for 3-4 months now so I'm pretty anxious to get going again.

10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I started a very similar post to this several months ago in which I described my feelings of monotony after playing through the game a dozen times over.

I currently have not played the game through for three months. I could draw every map in the game and tell you exactly where every item and encounter is from memory. Does that tend to get boring? Of course.

I would like to try a replay of the game using some of the NPCs that I've never taken before, using some of the mods. I have yet to find a good mod that much alters the encounters. Weimer's Tactics does make the fights tougher, but the difficulty of those borders on the ludicrous (I was fighting ToB enemies on the first quest).

Anyone know of any good mods which will make the gameplay a bit different?

11. BigRob Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, I suppose anything done too much gets boring. That said, I haven't got bored with BGII yet (I consider ToB to be an extension of the last bit of SoA where your course is pretty much decided already).

I tend to play a game of BGII and then play one or two different games to completion before returning to try out a new mod, NPC combination or whatever.

On the other hand, it'd be good to see another game like the BG series or Torment, instead of Neverwinter Nights, which seemed just a little too "Walk down a corridor, get generic loot and go back to town before entering different corridor" :rolleyes: . Very similar to Diablo, not that that was too bad a game for a bit of mindless HacknSlash with great cutscenes. ;)

12. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Thats it BigRob! I knew there was something wrong about it but i could never quiet tell what! It's just like Diablo, thats it! Thanks :)

13. BigRob Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The thing that really tipped me off about that was the magical items like: Staff of Blahblah, improves Spot hidden, invisibility 3x/day, usable level: 13. :rolleyes:

Old Style D&D never had level restrictions on items, it just seems way to artificial to me, even as an anti-twinking measure.

Plus what the hell was with that "Master Race" bit. Way to break established mythos guys. :confused:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.