1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Ideal thiefy solo, Kensai-Thief or Fighter/Thief?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by JuffoWup, Mar 10, 2004.

1. JuffoWup Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I want to solo SoA and ToB using a thief type character, and have narrowed down my choices to two: a human kensai dualled to thief (at level 9 or 13), and a half-orc fighter/thief. I'm having trouble deciding between the two, so I'd like to hear your input on the matter.

Here are the advantages of each as I see them:

Kensai-thief
    -more powerful backstab from weapon grandmastery and kensai bonus
    -temporarily better THAC0 from grandmastery and kensai bonus
    -Kai shot means ultimate backstab when needed
    -natural AC bonus

Fighter/thief
    -can use bows and other ranged weapons
    -ultimately better THAC0 from higher fighter levels
    -HLAs from both classes
    -better armor choices before UAI
    -more proficiency choices (e.g. hammers for the Crom)

Let me know which you believe to be more effective, and don't forget to vote in the poll!

-JuffoWup

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 8 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Ideal thiefy solo, Kensai-Thief or Fighter/Thief? (8 votes.)

Ideal thiefy solo, Kensai-Thief or Fighter/Thief? (Choose 1)
    * Human dual-classed Kensai-Thief (dualled at level 9) - 0% (0)
    * Human dual-classed Kensai-Thief (dualled at level 13) - 38% (3)
    * Half-orc multi-classed Fighter-Thief - 63% (5)

2. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Just a note, Kensai's can use hammers, I've wielded the Crom with a Kensai/Mage.

3. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think what he means is that the fighter-thief will ultimately get more prof. points to distribute. Not that you NEED a point in hammers to make good use of the Crom, but it's still a valid point.

As far as the choice go, I'd opt for the multi fighter-thief. The thief HLAs will make up in part for the lack of Kensai abilities, plus you'll get fighter HLAs to boot. You'll probably need those when soloing through ToB.

I think a level, say, 21/25 fighter-thief is better than, say, a lvl 13/32 kensai/thief (levels grossly estimated, but you get the idea).

My 2 ¢

4. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Half-orc Fighter/Thief. This dude is seriously scary. 19 strength means that backstabs will do no less than 9 damage (7 from the damage bonus, 1 for the actual damage from from the weapon, and at least 1 from the damage bonus that the weapon has). He has access to all the fighter and thief abilities at the start, he will get his HLA quicker (if I remember correctly, the 13 levels of Kensai will not count toward the HLA's) and choosing from both pools is better.

5. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'm surprised nobody has said that dualling a character whilst soloing is incredibly difficult. Especially if your trying to get to level 14.

A Half-Orc's STR and CON will make a big difference early on, and later on when through hell and then Lum's machine. This means you'll get a tasty 21 STR and 22(!) CON. Plus being a fighter he'll be 10HD, which means mega HP, which is important for a character that's incapable of healing himself during battles (with the ring of Gaxx or other regen items, or CON over 20, you can heal yourself overnight.) This all means that you can use the Belt of Interior Resistance (or whatever it's called) or some other belt rather than the Belt of Fortitude or a STR belt.

Another of the Kensai's disadvantages is not being able to wear armour. This is a huge deal since AC is very important for a solo, non-magic character.

I'm definetly for the half-orc.

6. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

With the thief´s "Use all item" HLA the problem of not being able to wear armor will disappear though.
    But still, getting to level 14 soloing a thief will be pretty tough though.
    So yeah, the Multiclass will be easier, not sure if it will be better though.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd go multi, mainly for the reason Mystra said. However, I'd go halfling for the improved saving throws. You can get Ribald's belt early to get 19 Str. So all you'd be missing out on is 9 (I think, or is it only half?) HP's (not insignificant, but I'd rather have the better S/T's). Plus halflings get good thieving bonuses; combined with better bonuses for 19 Dex (vs 18), this would help out early in the game (not a big deal later on, though).

[ March 11, 2004, 00:12: Message edited by: Splunge ]

8. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Not to mention that a halfling with a STR girdle and Sling Of Seeking is exceptionally brutal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.