1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need advice and tips for being EVIL!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aerie's Number One Fan, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I'm soon to be finishing my current game where I've been Lawful Good, and then I'm going to take a crack at being Evil. Is being CE worth the drop in rep, or should I play safe and go with NE? What's the best Class and Race for a CE/NE character, bearing in mind that I will be romancing Viconia this time through? What kind of party is best for staying true to the character/alignment? The last time I tried being evil and acted like a jerk, I ran off Jaheira right after we found her dead husband and she really didn't like me after that. I also wound up killing the wood dryads(?) that are trapped in Irenicus’s dungeon because they bewitched Minsc when I refused to help them and wouldn't let him go even when I did relent and agree to help. I want to play being Evil to the hilt, but how far should I go? I’d like to be able to complete the game without Cowled Wizards and Knights of the Heart coming after me at every turn if at all possible.

2. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Strictly speaking a theif of some description probably dualled out to a mage or whatever at level 11, I'd go with Bounty Hunter as they don't lose thief skills like the Assassin...

You'd have PC (theif)
    Korgan
    Viccy
    Edwin

Don't bother taking anyone else, this party is very powerful and well balanced. Leave a slot open for all the NPC quests and then if you MUST take some one I'd probably go with Imoen because it makes sense from a role-playing perspective. You can also just be nasty to her.

That leaves one slot for Sarevok in ToB who, of course you will force to take a gaes.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Try keeping your rep around 10. At 10, there's no reaction for being good or bad. IIRC, it's 2 or 3 when knights start spawning. I don't think you'll be able to get Jaheira back if you insulted Khalid and her too much.

Romancing Viccy - human and half elf, unless you have the EoU mod component allowing for an NPC to be romanced by any PC race/gender or the Baldurdash fix which allows halforcs to romance. Don't be an elf, since drow and surface elves don't get along.

4. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Bear in mind that being evil doesn't mean you have to be an a-hole to everybody. Some things I recommend:

- Poisoning the Trademeet Druid Grove. This option is only possible if you're evil or you rep isn't too high, I'm not sure which it is. You'll miss out on some exp, but it's a lot of fun.

- Pick a fight with Anomen. He runs off to his house, and there you can fight him. (Who hasn't ever wanted to do this?) It's possible that the whole Government District turns hostile for this - in this case reload, 'cos it's not supposed to happen. No reputation hit.

- Pick a fight with Keldorn. Fun, and no consequences from the Order or any Temple, and no reputation hit.

- Betray Hendak for Lehtinan.

- Demand cash from Minister Lloyd in Imnesvale.

- Work for Bodhi.

- When it's time to fight Bodhi in Chapter 6 and you get to ask people for help, go to the Order with a low reputation and pick a fight. You get to use Unholy Blight or Turn Undead against Paladins. No consequences.

- Kill Drizzt! Kill kill kill! Slayer Change works wonders here.

- Do the Human Skin armor quest. This means killing Adalon - another place for Unholy Blight. I described a lovely way to do this in the "Can you kill the demon Ardulace summons"-thread.

- *NO* random killings to drop reputation. It's stupid. Use Slayer Change liberately instead.

- *Do* the Unseeing Eye quest for the Temple and such things that you can't really do evilly. It balances out your rep nicely.

I'd keep the reputation at about 6. You can always buff it up in temples.

Around chapter 6 the Cowlies and Pallies aren't too hard to deal with; they're in fact quite fun. At lower levels, don't let your rep drop below 4.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The problem with being a thief is you can't work for Bohdi. The classic kensai/mage works well for evil. Plus you can get the staff of power (by allowing all your students to die -- but why should you care?).

For a thief, take Jan or Yoshimo. At spellhold (if you have Jan) you can just leave Imoen behind.

6. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think you can still work for Bohdi as a F/T, which not only fits in well with the standard evil party (Korgan, Vic, Edwin), but is also an excellent class throughout SoA and ToB...

7. Parvini Gems: 10/31

I took Jan in an evil party before and he really doesn't fit, he's annoying and dies so often that it starts to get tiresome ressurecting and reequipping him, no time for that in an EVIL party - my PC was a superduper NE Cleric dualled to a mage at level 14 (his stats were huge as I took him through BG1) - the IDEAL theif for the party would be Yoshimo but there are no real solutions there.

The alternative is a bit of a cheat BUT what about ctrl+Q-ing Renal Bloodscalp after doing his quest? I'm pretty sure Renal is evil, he's got pretty good stats and you could give him a portrait thrugh Shadow Keeper and change his avatar to a regular theif's if that bothers you.

Never done it myself as I am not into using SK much but it'd solve your thief worries if you don't want a thief as your PC.

And there's always Imoen who - like I said you could keep around as your abused little sister.

8. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

If you really want to play evil, don't be afraid to download an NPC mod or two. Some decent evil thieves include Silverstar, Valen (yes, that Valen), and Vanim. Links to all three (and more) can be found here.

9. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    I've got the poison for the Druid Grove, but where exactly do I need to place it? I've tried putting it all over the Grove, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks.

10. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Jan shouldn't be dying on you much once he can cast stoneskin and PFMW.

11. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

It is my honest belief that BGII is horrible for playing evil. This is extremely sad, because you would think that of all storylines, one in which you are the spawn of the lord of murder would be great for evil options.

Unfortunately, you are going to end up realizing that if you want to be evil you have to a.) make up some excuse for doing good things like "he is pretending to care to gain influence/money/power" or b.) go with all the silly "evil" dialogues that usually revolve around "smash smash dumb dumb me mad me want kill you for you'se gold!" type of evil.

Both of these options are, to my mind, unfufilling. Really I think there are no suitable options for evil unless you want to be the "bad temper" evil or the "amoral money-worshipper" evil.

I've tried so many times to play an evil character and just get mad at how stupid the evil options are in the game, and then I rampage around for awhile killing everyone before restarting as a good or neutral character.

PS: There is a a round pool at the top of the inside of the druid grove that you put the poison in.

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

^ What he said. The game is mroe enjoyable as a good characters and when comparing the "evil" options to Planescape, you will notice that they don't come even close. Sure, you can be nasty to Imoen, but that's just asshattery and nothing more.

13. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I tried playing evil - once. Telling Imoen to find her own way out of spellhold caused me to abandon the game soon after.

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Try putting the poison in the stream inside the grove. You know, the water you cross over to talk to Faldorn? Maybe that's it.

15. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Gating a Pit Fiend in the middle of the Hall of the Radiant Heart is quite enjoyable, especially if you have the "Slightly Tougher Demons" demons installed.
    :evil:

16. Aerie's Number One Fan Gems: 6/31

Media:
    I worked out what I was doing wrong with the poisoning and had to start afresh. It wasn't too bad because I have Dungeon-Be-Gone and it was my first quest, so it didn't take long to get back to where I was. It was great fun poisoning the Grove. When it happens, the Druids freak out and you get to kill a bunch of them. You'd think the big druid guy who shows up would be harder to deal with.

17. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31

Veteran

What happens back in Trademeet if you poison the grove? Do they also freak out or complain or lecture you or anything?

18. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

SPOILER

Lord Coprith gets mad and won't talk to you, although the Guildmistress Busya or whatever doesn't seem to care very much, and the town is real nice to you.

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

There's ALOT of different ways to play evil, as there is to play good. You can play BGII by RPing to your hearts content and if you're evil you there are sooOooOo many possibilities.

@ Truper, Quote

"I tried playing evil - once. Telling Imoen to find her own way out of spellhold caused me to abandon the game soon after."

Just because you're playing as an evil character doesn't mean you have to be a bitch to everyone, unless you're playin a sadist or some sort of psycho who shuts himself out from people and has no friends. That's ONE type of evil. You can be a pickpocket and just steal from people and slag off poor people in the process because you can't get much from them, another type. You can be the popular evil type who thieves and betrays people of the government to get what he wants by using his charismatic peronality, another type. Or you could just be the evil super villian with a plan to take over the Realms and become a God, just like Sarevok tried to.

There is an endless amount of ways to play as an evil character. It doesn't do us much help to you if you don't help us to explain EXACTLY the type of character you want to play! Once you do that, we'll be able to accurately assess how to play as YOUR type of evil character.

Btw i REALLY hope that made sence to you Aerie's Number One Fan!! :D

20. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If you want to play any kind of evil character that isn't just a petty jerk, you'll have to either edit the game dialog or use your imagination, because most of the evil stuff in the game is just pathetic. See also KOTOR. Bioware have a long history of being very bad at writing from an evil character's POV.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.