1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tactics: Improved Druid Grove

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

2. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Tried it, but it didn't work. She cast her spell, but it wasn't deflected.

The final question remaining is whether there are any L7 spells that can cause damage to Faldorn?

If I waint until L15, are there any Quest spells that will damage her?

Sorry, one more question ... is it possible to get Cernd to fight Faldorn if I am a Druid?

3. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

You should be able to get Cernd to fight her by kicking him out of your party, talking to him when he shows up at his "home" spot (just outside the grove), and suggest he go in to take on Faldorn.

4. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Best thing to do, is to cast Summon Mountain Bears or whatever the spell is, those things rip into anything. I summoned two before her insect plague hit me and i stood back and watched the carnage commence. Seriously these are all you need, if you buffs wear off that means her insect plague probably has too, at this point she isnt interested in casting spells but kicking the everloving snot out of anything that moves. If two bears dont work, im sure four would.

5. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@Eric: tried that before, but she only seems to want to fight me. I have had Cernd go up and challenge her, but I end up in the ring with her.

@Thyorna: the bears kill off her summons no problem, but she can only be hit by +3 weapons or better so the bears do no damage. Plus, Faldorn had STR25 and 4 attacks so she absolutely rips through them. Fire elementals do no damage to her and neither do spirit animals.

The closest I got to hurting her was in one-on-one combat and I needed a 20 to actually hit her only to find it was weapon ineffective. Then she just hit me once and I was chunks.

I have tried using Harm and other such spells, but I can't hit her for these to take effect.

I have to let her summon her Dread Wolves first so I can cast Insect Plagues. If I summon a creature first, then she will have cast Creeping Doom before I could cast Insect Plague. Again, it is all over then.

I do believe she is designed to only be beaten by the re-balance shapeshifter kit. It at least look like that anyway.

6. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

What about waiting until after the Underdark, cast regeneration and then pull a Slayer Change. Higher strength and I think its claws are higher then plus three.

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@Jaguar: That sounds like a good option. Probably the only option to be honest. I am gutted though, as I really wanted to complete it for my Stronghold. I know I still can, but it is a but late for a Stronghold.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Well, what can you do? Load up your earliest saved game, and don't do anything else above ground. Go through the Underdark, get Slayer, level up once or twice, then hightale it back to the grove, kick Faldorn's butt.

With all the travelling you can do in Chapter Six, you should still be able to do the stronghold fully.

9. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Have you tried this? Because when I went through I had Imp.Faldorn and Shapeshifter rebalancing, and no druid in my party, so I chose the option of having cernd face her. What happened was that Cernd, after removing all the iron skins, rarely got a hit on Faldorn, and when he did it was only a measly 10-12dmg IIRC.. Faldorn on the other hand was pounding Cernd for around 50+ dmg pr round, not even the great regeneration of the improved GWW can stop that, but strangely Cernd lasted an extremely long time (don't know if it's built into the game that Cernd is supposed to win this battle no matter what, but seems like it).

Anyho, after they bang on each other for about 2 min cernd suddenly dies, not by being hit or anything, he just dies. He's NEVER able to get Faldorn down to anything more than injured (and thats just for a few seconds and she regens to uninjured...).

But this was with Cernd NOT in the party.

A cheesy way of beating Faldorn would be to load all your fighters with missile weapons and press the "Guard" button and set them to guard whoever is facing faldorn, your fighters will then attack anyone who attacks the challenger. You could ofcourse give everyone missile weapons but I think that warriors are the only classes that has the guard button.

10. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

I use improved faldorn and but not shapeshifter rebalancing, and I can have Cernd easily kill Faldorn. It takes forever, of course, because he is blind and she has (I think) 8 casts of stoneskin. But once he starts hitting he does big chunks of damage. I've never seen him just drop dead, although it sounds pretty funny.

A conflict with the two mods?

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Does this mean you dont use the rebalanced shapeshifter? If not, then how does Cernd do damage to Faldorn. I tried a shapeshifter in GWW form and did no damage whatsoever to her.

12. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Wow that was atrocious english on my part; very sorry. My greatest fear is that now my occupation and level of education will become known...

I do NOT use shapeshifter rebalancing. I DO use improved Faldorn. If I kick Cernd out of the party and suggest that he go fight Faldorn, he survives all the damage she does--easily 1000--and finally breaks through her stoneskins and kills her in a few shots. Cernd is able to win this battle only because "he is supposed to"--if he failed, and you had no druid, you would be unable to complete the quest. As someone mentioned above, this invincible Cernd is a failsafe to make sure the quest can be completed.

I am surprised that this did not work for Advanced Simplicity, and it leads me to believe that there is a conflict caused by the shapeshifter rebalancing mod.

13. Advanced Simplicity Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Why did this work for you considering Faldorn is immune to +2 weapons and less?

Same goes for you... if you did not have the shapeshifter rebalancing mod how on earth did Cernd do damage to Faldorn with his _+2_ paws? I thought Faldorn was immune to +2 and less, am I missing something here?

14. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

@Eric: I take it this option is only available if you don't have a Druid PC. Which is my problem as I am a Druid. So I either have to wait until much much later to try and defeat her, or play as a non-Druid.

15. Col. Bruce Hampton Retired Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You can always do the stronghold timed-quests fully. Just hang out and rest for 10 days, and the next event will usually trigger. It's not unrealistic to hang out in your stronghold for a week.

16. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Yeah I got you Bard. I was just talking to Advanced Simplicity, because what he described in his long post above should not have happened--when Cernd fights Faldorn, he should always win. You definitely need to level up a bunch to take her on with your own druid.

17. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

I think I am going to us SK to make my Druid L14 and then L15, which will give me huge amounts of spells. If this actually works, I will do it the hard way and level-up properly and return to face her. If it doesn't work I will just give-up.

I will keep you posted...

[Edit]
    Well I have tried it on L15 and I won!!!

1. Cast insect plague
    2. Cast Elemental Summoning - I happened to get Zamon Rul here and she couln't hurt him and she just kept attacking him, which left me free to do other stuff
    3. Summon Bears
    4. Summon Earth Elemental
    5. Summon more Insects and Creeping Doom
    -- at some point her immune magic weapons faded --
    6. Summon more Bears
    7. Summon more Elementals
    8. Tried poison and delorous decay again (she was immune)
    9. More insects
    10. More Bears
    11. More Elementals
    At this point I was starting to get low on spells, but suddenly she was dead

I am going to try again at L14, but I dont think I will have enough spells to last out.

[ September 01, 2004, 02:35: Message edited by: Bard ]

18. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31

Congratulations Bard. It's always nice when someone demonstrates that a battle is extremely difficult, but not impossible. Good luck with the level 14 druid.

19. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Currently can't get past her with a L14 Druid. I don't have enough summons/fire power to keep her at bay. She goes through my summons (grizzly and earth elemental) like they are made of straw. And 3 insect plagues and 2 summon insects later, she takes 1 swipe and I am pushing up daisies.

Don't think I can be bothered to wait until L15 to defeat her. I would expect to be just about starting TOB by then.

I might have to try a different type of Druid or be a non-Druid and take Cernd. Hmmmmm.

20. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I can't remember which mod it is. Ease of Use or Tactics v21 but have you tried summoning the 6th level bears-of-cheese? Also affectionatly known as Bearwares? They rip through anything, have a ridiculous rate of regen and I really wish I could remove them from the game because I have a nasty habit of using them.

They are summoned through the spell 'conjure animals' i think btw.
    I have just made a clean install and only loaded these, unfinished business, solaufein and kelsey. If these bearwares have came from somewhere else let me know :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.