1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oh Helmet, My Helmet

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Death Rabbit, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I could be wrong about this but I think Remove Magic only affects enemies, so that wouldn't work here.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would say the the Helm of Balduran is the best. Sure, it looks pretty stupid but it does the job.

3. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Of course can mages wear Ioun Stones.

And I agree with all of you saying that helmets looks ugly on some NPS:s.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Splunge

Remove magic will work, because when a character is charmed, his circle goes red, and is considered an enemy character. So, while I've never tried it (I usually use Dispel Magic instead) remove magic should work just fine, and offers the benefit of not removing the protections of all of your other party members.

I did not think Ioun Stones offered protection for critical hits. However, I have had no problems equiping ANY character with Ioun Stones, mages included. In fact, IIRC, there are some Ioun Stones that can only be used by mages. In the item description, there is nothing that says anything about Ioun Stones giving protection form critical hits. Even a generic non-magical helmets say "protects against critical hits" in the description. So, I think that the INTENT of the programmers was for Ioun Stones not to protect against critical hits. If this is not the case, it is because, as was previously stated, anything placed in the helm slot is hardwired to confer protection against critical hits.

The description of "protection from critical hits" is correct. A critical hit is scored whenever a character (or creature) rolls a "20" on a 20-sided die. The result of this is that the receiptient of that hit takes double damage unless said creature has a helmet equipped.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And another thing about Ioun Stones...how do they stay on? They're just rocks, right? No band or chain to hold them on with. So what...do you stick them up your nose?

:confused: Never quite gotten that one. :confused:

6. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If you swallow a bunch, can you get multiple bonuses at the same time? :D

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I guess so...until you poop 'em out. But I don't think I'd use them after that, would you? :D

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ioun stones orbit your head... They're magical after all...

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Really? I had no idea. That would make me dizzy as hell, personally. :roll:

10. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

OR make your enemies dizzy as hell! ;) I still don't see why I can't have more than one 'orbiting' at once. I'd be walking around with a solar system around my head! :p

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

People that do not want helmets, but will have prot. from critical hits, do as me. I made a tattoo of a drop that is hanging from my eye. It has no animation nor avatar changes, only a description. And it protects against critical hits, that's for sure :D

12. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

If you whant to be protected from chriticals and plays as a thief or mage (any class that cant use helmets)just keep the Burial Mask from King Strohm III. It can be worn by any class.

I read this in Dan Simpsons wonderful walktrough and it really works!

13. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I use the Balduran Helm throughout the game too... I only get to explore other helms when I let companions join. Second choice would be the helm of brilliance.

Lots of people like Vhailor's Helm from the bonus CD for the simulacrum. I don't use simmy's enough to go nuts over this helm though. :rolleyes:

Too bad you can't equip helms AND ioun stones at the same time like the older FR games. IIRC, they are small in size (comparable to size of a ring), plus they orbit your head... and somehow this interferes with your ability to simultaneously wear a helmet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.