1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stats, Saving Throws & Boni?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lokken, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] Ok, I was wondering with a few stats.

Constitution: Talks of saving throws, against what? (lets keep out the hitpoint table)

Dexterity: How does this improve archery?

Wisdom: Again there's been a lot of talk with saving throws, anyone know the table?
    18 = +X to saving throws?

Intelligence: How does this affect the ability to be reading/using scrolls? (NOT Write magic to spellbook)

2. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I don't know about TOB, but in BG1 I created a multiplayer perty of human fighters with wisdom and constitution from 3-18 (3 con 18 wis, 6 con 15 wis etc.) and there was no difference in the saving throws for any of them. Maybe it's something that only happens at higher levels, or was implemented in SoA?
    Dex, in the manual there is an entry in the table called miss. att adj. - that's how dex affects ballistics.
    Wisdom, I found an entry in the table called Mag Def Adj: which supposedly " applies to saving throws afainst magical spells that affect the mind (presumably it doesn't show up because it's only specific spells)

3. Dragoon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I read somewhere in this forum that Wisdom of 18 gives +4 bonus to saving throws.

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

it was that post that lead me to this topic, because I'm unsure that it does.

I hoped some people knew from either testing or basic p&p background with the 2nd ed rules

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Saving throws:
    All that you want to know and more can be found here ;)
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002439.html

Dexterity & missile weapons (right from the manual ;) ):
    -dex-3: -2
    -dex-4: -1
    -dex-5 to 15: +/- 0
    -dex-16: +1
    -dex-17 & 18: +2
    -dex-19 & 20: +3
    -dex-21 to 23: +4
    -dex-24 & 25: +5

So it makes sense to drink the blue int & dex potions (I can never remember its name) for both thieves (lore, thieving abilities, missile THACO) and archers (missile THACO).

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited September 09, 2001).]

6. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The Baldur's Gate I manual says that the wisdom-based magic save bonus "applies to saving throws against magical spells that attack the mind". I haven't tested it, but I assume that you get the bonus when saving against things like charm, domination, psionic blast, etc.

The Baldur's Gate I manual also mentions a "Res. Surv." percentage, which rises with your CON attribute. It supposedly represents "The percentage chance the character will successfully be Resurrected or Raised from the dead by magic." Baldur's Gate II claims to use Baldur's Gate I rules, but I've never had a res fail on any of my characters. That said, most characters have a CON of at least 15, which gives a 94% success rate anyway.

[This message has been edited by Argyle (edited September 10, 2001).]

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Ahh yes but Aerie has a constituion of 9... and becuase of it she tends to die more often. As a result she gets raised a lot. Never once has she failed to be raised. I mean somebody can create a char with constitution 3 (yikes!) and test this further, but I think it's safe to say the Res. Surv. is one of those things in the manual but wasn't applied.

8. Tiger Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree with Big B as I've never had any of my NPCs failed to be raised from the dead and some of them had low constitution (like Aerie does). Looks like another unimplemented feature.

-- Tiger

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Argyle, you are right, the saving throw is important to protect vs. attacks against psionic blast. So after level 15 my halfling cavalier (con-19/ wis-18) was practically immune to the mindflayers psi-attacks and only had to deal with int-drain (which is basically a question of AC) :) , really nice to play.

10. Judas Gems: 7/31

I agree that no roll is made when an actual raise dead / harper's call / whatever is cast. The roll may actually be a save vs unressable death, made when the character is killed. I know taking someone far enough below 0 hp will "chunkify" them, and make them unressable... maybe a roll is made upon death, and even if they're only 1 point below that required to die, they may be "chunkified". Still, I doubt it - I'm inclined to agree that it hasn't actually been implemented.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

It seems to me that the less hp you have before getting chunked and then getting hit hard is a guarenteed chunked. Common things that will get you chunked if not careful: golems, backstabs, and dragon's breath. I don't know if it's so much of a roll as it is you reach a certain percentage of hp below 0 from damage and that makes you get chunked.

12. Judas Gems: 7/31

I didn't mean that the res roll might replace the "points below 0" system, just in addition to it (i.e. being taken well below 0 OR failing the roll will get you chunked). I should do some testing to find out (I'm pretty sure I'll find the res roll hasn't actually been implemented).

13. mASSIVe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] could that be related to the dificulty level?

on normal it is said npc can't permanently die...therefor raise dead must work or they are permanently dead, right?

but then i don't understand why npc keep disintegrating or being "chunkyfied"...

14. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

NPC's doesn't get splattered if you play normal. I'm pretty sure they're being splattered if they drop to a certain amount of damage in the negative levels (you need to play above normal diff though)

15. Recoil Suave Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I believe that if you are hit for more than 10 damage beyond what would kill you normally that you will be chunked. Happens a lot to goblins, even with a tiny hit of just 20 damage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.