1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most powerful class?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Stardust, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The reason Mages are the most powerful single class in this game is that they have an answer to EVERYTHING the game could throw at them to a very reasonable extent...something no other class can do.

Getting pummelled? Protection from Magic Weapons, Stoneskin, Mirror Image...

Getting nasty spells cast at you? Mirror Image, Prot. from XXX Energy

Getting a Wizardslayer coming at you? Invisibility...go far away and then stop him in his tracks with any/all of your disabling spells. Glitterdust comes to mind...

Inquisitor? SI: Abjuration...

Its mind-boggling...there is not a SINGLE thing in the game a Mage cannot deal with given the right amount of time to deal with it. Nothing else compares, not a single classed Cleric, Fighter kit etc...Blades come close, but no dice cuz they can't cast higher level spells.

Edit: Which is why I find newbies whinging about how Mages are so frail and weak compared to their awesome Berserker funny... :D

2. Mordokai Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm pretty sure their is an antidote for SI: Abjuration, I just can't remeber it now. Perhaps Ruby ray of reversal? As for SI: Divination, use thief ability, detect illusion, and the mage can kiss his invisibility goodbyee. Althought, I'll admit that this combo is very powerfull.

This is one of the reasons why I like BG2 so much. You got to use the brains :) Rare thing in a games this days.

3. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

@Mordokai: You know...you've just scored for the Mages again...Inquisitors can't cast Ruby Ray of Reversal! Neither can Bards for that matter...only Mages can.

Woot! :D

4. Mordokai Gems: 6/31

Like I said, mages are probably the most powerful class in the game. And yes, I was autoowned, I see that now :p They can still be beated fairly easily, because the game scripts doesn't seem to know such maneuvrs as combo of SI: A and SI: D(except for final battle with Irenicus in Ascension).

If anybody has any mod that would allow two characters to duel in an arena, that would perhaps be the best way to find out the most powerful class. I am pretty sure you can beat mage with a thief, but now I don't have a time to write it down, so maybe some other time.

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

How would you do that? I guess you could get one backstab off if you have the Cloak of Non Detection...but then what? If its a 1v1 duel like you suggest, the Mage is sure as heck going to have True Sight cast.

And they've got Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Protection from Magic Weapons etc to make sure that the one backstab a thief can get won't actually hurt them.

Once that first backstab is gone and the thief is visible again, they have to use Rings of Invisibility, Potions of Invisibility etc...and the cloak of Non Detection does NOT cover those.

Traps? Again...I doubt it would work. Stoneskins block Spike Traps and regular traps. The poison damage from regular traps isn't blocked though...and over a period of time it might actually hurt...but its easy for a mage to go invisible and gulp down potions.

Thieves also have Detect Illusions which take away all invisibility spells as well as Project Image and Simulacrum ( :eek: ) ... but then what? Its not like the thief can actually hurt the Mage... :p

Okayyy...what else do thieves have? UAI?? I guess...if a thief had a few dozen scrolls of Time Stop lying around, he COULD go into Time Stop, use the Carsomyr for auto-hits to dispel the Mage and then use Assassinate to kill him. I think that's one sure fire way to kill a Mage.

But you know, if a thief casts Time Stop from a scroll (casting time 9), I bet a Mage is going to be able to go ahead and cast Time Stop with a casting time of 4 (Robe of Vecna + Amulet of Power) after which Imp. Alacrity pwnage is sure to follow...

So no...I don't think a Thief can beat a Mage. If a mod for duelling was made, and a Mage WAS beaten by any other class, it would be because the guy controlling the Mage was not as good at combat in BG2 as the other guy was... :shake:

6. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

i also tend to find mage boring but i belive its mainly due to the fact that i use him mainly to back the fighters usually by summoning entities, piercing magical auras etc

during next holidays im planning on soloing with a spellcaster (either mage or sorcerer) to get to know the class better and try out all these other spells ive overlooked in the past

im pretty confident it wont be that much harder to start off with a mage than a fighter in solo, my recent experience with the monk proves me so

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Arcane magic users I would agree are by far more able to dish out damage than any other class. The problem is the preparation required. Were I a single mage walking around a dungeon, I'd need far more time to prepare protections, then rest to recover my spells.

A warrior, on the other hand, can simply walk around and maybe use a potion or scroll and really dish damage. That being said even a simple hold or confusion spell can be the end of them. I suppose thats why its a team game.

My favourite and most powerful class is a kensai/mage. improved haste, tensors transformation (in some cases its worth it) and some other tasty treats make this class simple absurd sometimes. Timestop + crom faeyr = a lot of death.

8. Mordokai Gems: 6/31

Do you really need anything more than that? Cloak of non - detection + hide in shadows + a lot of patience(thiefs, especially assassins are bound to have a lot of that one :) ), and you got yourself one dead mage. If you have 21 level assassin(7X backstab multiplier) with 150 point in hide in shadows and 100 points in move silently, and he has cloak of non - detection all he has to do is hide in shadows and than wait. If the mage doesn't wants a blade betwen his ribs, he has to keep casting protections on himself. All of the higher level protections(protection from magical weapons, total immunity, improved mantle and the like) expire in four rounds(I think, correct me if I'm wrong), and stoneskin is bound to run out sooner or later. I'm willing to bet you that mage will run out of his protective spells sooner than assassin will run out of his patience :) Ok, this wouldn't be a grand fight by any chance, but I think it is possible to win with assasin. Mages are also bound to be low on hit points, and if assassin is wielding short sword of backstabing(1-6 damage + 3 I believe), he has STR of 21(by any magical mean), that will nest him minimum of 91 damage with noncritical hit. If by any chance that isn't enought, he can still coat his weapon with poison, that will finish any survivor for good :)

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Stoneskin lasts for ages, I'm talking hours. Best way to kill a mage is while he sleeps ;)

Mages are the most powerful class provided they know who they will be facing, when and have 8 hours to prepare for the battle. Yet they can not immediately adapt to a situation since their memorised spells are set in stone... unless they manage to convince their opponent to give them a few hours to reselect some spells however I doubt that case would ever come to pass.

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

An Assassin is a hired killer, one which will do anything to kill his target. If he has to wait 8 hours to kill his target then so be it.

11. Stardust Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@Abomination

Thats why you play a sorcerer or wild mage. :)

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

You know...its funny how you guys say that an Assassin will stand around for 8 hours and let a Mage's protections wear off...mate, its not like if I was playing the Mage in this instance I buff him up and then leave my Mage standing there while I go fix me a sandwich... :p

I'll just SPAM the entire area around me with Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings, Skull Traps and other non targeted stuff...besides, I'd do it all in a Time Stop so you can't do anything about it.

Cloak of Non-Detection is nowhere close to a solution.

13. Mordokai Gems: 6/31

It's the closest thing I've got :p I'll guess we'll never know what would happen. Thought I'm willing to bet you that your mage would have to work for his victory :)

14. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Killing a fighter with a mage is crude and undignified.

Killing a sorceror with an assassin when he doesnt see it coming is beauty personified.

15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    The Assassin wouldn't stand a chance to be honest. As Faraaz said, nobody who is playing the mage will stand about doing nothing. The mage would pull up all his protections, and then simply use Timestop+IA to cover the area with Horrid Wiltings and the like. This is followed by Wish and the process begins again.

16. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

did anyone actually manage to beat the game soloing with the assassin?

17. Fly2tHeSkY

Hehe you boys keep talking all big and tough but it won't do a thing. Every mage has a specific amount of spells right, so let's just do a little example.

An assassin has been hired to KILL a mage. It doesn't matter how he kills him, as long as the mage ends up dead. So you're saying that your pretty little mage is going to be safe 24 hours a day huh? There's going to be a time when the mage is vulnerable, and when that time comes, the assassin will be to strike, whrn the mage least suspects it and he will be deaddddd :D

Do you honestly think the mage is going to have super dooper protections surrounding him 24 hours a day? The assassin would be watching his every move and once his protections are gone, bye bye mage :p

I know what you're saying though, in regular combat, yesh of course the mage is going to come out on top, but the rogue will always have the advantage. Always ...

18. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well, there's always Stone Skins and Contingencies. It would have to be that exact moment the mage would lose his Stone Skin and the assassin would have to kill the mage with one strike. I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible, but the assassin would have to be really close to the mage all the time, and to go unnoticed.

Of course an assassin would usually just poison everything the mage would come to contact, food, books, scrolls, clothing, drinks and you name it, but the game engine doesn't allow this. That being excluded, the assassin might wan't to befriend the mage like you-know-who and get close that way.

Of course a lower lvl mage is quite easy prey for a skilled assassin of the same lvl. But as levels get high, the assassins job becomes nigh impossible, especially with the WM, since she has an unlimited supply of spells. Not through Wish, which would need luck to get 'make it as if the whole party had rested and rememorized their spells', but through limited wish which will restore all her NRD's. Unlimited NRD's - unlimited spells of any level. Luck be a lady, of course, so the question is who's luck will run out faster, the assassins or the WM's.

19. Fly2tHeSkY

Rogues CLEARLY :D

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Silvershield, of course if the assassin was good enough then they would likely take out the mage. That is, if BG were like reality. The mage could also be wearing protective equiptment to defend them from such an attempt.

As BGII is not reality- it runs on an engine for starters- we need not apply the logic of waiting days for a moment to strike. Since the point was whether an assassin could take out a mage, it makes more sense to put them one-on-one with their usual precautions activated. In this situation, the mage would win.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.