1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another newbie thread. Kinda.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ravynn, Feb 18, 2005.

1. nightwood Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

@ravynn if you don't mind a dozen reloads : there's a lot of threads around dealing only with improved illych. simply use the search engine and look for "illych" or "improved illych"

anyhow , don't worry, even if you decide to restart without the improved illych component of tactics (which is definitely the hardest part of the mod) nobody's gonna think you're too stupid for this game. i usually play with tactics, but imp illych is a no-go.

2. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I think Beren described it very well (in his walkthrough at SP).

For me there was: "One at a time" and "kill the cleric immediatly". :)

3. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@ Shrikant- oh if you could hear my screams! :bang: I read several postings on how to fight Imp BillyITCH, (hope I can get away with that) but I am really not eager to do the whole dungeon again, seeing as I made it past the first group of duergars once in eight or ten tries. Sigh, so with head and shoulders slumped in defeat, and tail tucked firmly between my legs, I slink off to find Jasper St Baird to take me out of the dungeon, confident I left those thrice d***ed duergar behind. Not so, I had a mage and a Proletariat follow me up, and the first thing they cast after sitting through that (shortened but still long) movie, oh I keep forgetting, I have most of Ease of Use installed, ummm... oh first spell was confusion cast on Minsc, who promptly goes off on a rampage killing Guards and commoners. reload. this time, I interrupt his spell by casting mm, and a Cowled Wizzer has the GALL to tell me magic is forbidden and then LEAVE!! The OUTRAGE!! Not a problem, that just gives serena another excuse to slaughter every Cowled Wizard she sees, like she needed one. Well, with the bitter taste of defeat still lingering on my tongue, (darn poetic ain't it?) after I kill the 2 duergar, I head of to the slums. After talking to Baeyle, I go to the Copper C and recruit Nalia. I am thinking about taking Yoshimo with me, I have a vague idea that that would be a mistake, but I've never had him and my thief skills suck right now. I won't even mention Nalia's. That's it so far. I am giving the gloves of pickpocketing to yoshimo and go rob a few merchants. Now before I get flamed, a few things: After the terrific defeat of my party in Irenicus's dungeon, I think I deserve to do a little cheezing. 2.) I won't steal sell steal sell etc to the same merchant, and I will only steal small things like rings and gems that he probably won't miss much, then sell them to a fence in the docks or something, repeat with another merchant. I think that's more "realistic". From an rping perspective, Serena will do whatever she has to to free her childhood friend from a corrupt pseudo government, that isn't even watched over by the real gov. Further, she is NOT going to PAY them to let her cast, she sure isnt' going to pay 5000 gp. After a few levels, she's going to start killing the mages and hope that it makes Amn a better place. That's all for now, let me know what you think so far. Later. PS, does anyone think those spirits that leave the body after that spell is cast look like Edgar Allen Poe? Just a thought.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I dont know when your triple classed F/M/T is going to be strong enough to challenge the Cowled ones.
    Jan in the Government district is a good replacement to both Yoshi and Nalia, two of the most hated/pitied charecters in the game.
    From an RP perspective, I think almost anything can be stolen. If you drop in late at night, you can always say it was a real heist and the shopkeeper was sleeping when you stole all his stuff (even if the stealing option is only available after you talk to him in game).

You do realise you dont have to cheat. Simply uninstall the Improved Illich part of Tactics and start all over again.
    After all, you aren't that far into the game.

5. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

True enough, I guess. But the only reason I bothered doing the dungeon was to try out imp. illyich, but I think I will do that dungeon over again, with the same character, or maybe I will try a skald. hmm, need to think this over. And yes, there is no room for nalia in this game. Ok, I am going back through Irenicus's dungeon. I was not aware you could pick up Yoshimo, I will have to look into that. Hmm, I have an idea how to get past the first group of duergar.

Well, I am sorry that interest in this thing ended so abruptly. I hope it wasn't something I said or did. Anyway, PM me if you post here so I will know to look here. It was nice meeting y'all. Ravynn.

[ March 01, 2005, 04:44: Message edited by: Ravynn ]

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

*raise dead*

7. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

Thank you Shrikant. :p It's been awhile. I haven't played the last couple of days, I am thinking about starting over and seeing if a F/M could more easily handle Improved Irenicus. He is SUCH a BAST***!! I don't think I have ever played a more difficult encounter in any game, certainly not in BG2. I think I will do that, and find a thief somewhere, I have never used Jan, but I hear he's good. I will hopefully update tomorrow, as long as interest remains in this post. Talk to yall later. Oh, I don't know if I can do this here, but I will anyway, and if I am wrong, please correct me: What kind of custom portraits do y'all like? Do you prefer ports that look appropriate, i.e. a thief in armor with a short sword, etc., or do you not care so much as long as the image looks good? Talk to y'all later.

8. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I always try to find a pic that most resembles the look, and arms of my character.

To me it just fits.

9. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

For me, it's any portrait that resembles my face.

Keep this thread going, Tactics mod is a great one. ;)

10. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

I wouldn't know, I am still fighting that friggin duergar. I have DBG, but I didn't want to use it, I wanted to beat these guys without cheating. Not happening. I just met the Greater Otyugh that casts Decay and Summon Swarm, so no one can heal me or cast dispel,or anything. Grrr. Just for laughs, I am going to see if you can win this thing by cheating. THEY cheat, the &^%$#@!*, although now I know how they must feel when they hear us coming. Knowing they have no chance to defeat the Bhaalspawn. My new character is a 6th level FMT, I used SK cause I wanted thieving skills with the following stats: Female CG Half Elf Str 16 Dex, Con, and Int 18, Wis and Cha 10. This was about the 13th roll of my original character, a half elf fm. I was originally going to do just a FM, but hiding in shadows is part of my strategy, and Immy can't do it for *&&^. So now I have about 32000 xp in each level, my next level up will be at 40000, 60000, and 64000. I don't think I messed anything up. I did manage to finally defeat the first two encounters using a combination of dispel magics, spell thrusts, chrom orb, and flame arrow. Michaela(PC) and Immy still have about half their spells. When I said I was going to cheat, that meant SK some boots of speed and a bag of holding. The bag of holding I imported had some great stuff in it, which after this level will go back in the bag until I get to TOB. I am convinced that this is the only way to beat Illyitch and his friggin Deva summoning cleric. I did get to him once, and got spanked. So now I am going through the entire level. The Otyugh (Improved of course) and the lack of mephits and goblins are the biggest differences I have seen so far, besides the obvious, to the unmodded game. It is still pretty fun, now that I am cheating a little and not dying every two minutes. I will be back later with more. Later.

11. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What difficulty you play on? Is Tactics really that... 'good'?

12. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

I started on insane, wound up on easy, now that I am cheating, it is back on insane.

It's good. I have played other Tactics fights before, this is the first time I played Imp. Illyich. The only thing I don't like about it is, in the Imp. Ill. you can attack with your pc, get them to chase you, run into a room and have your other characters stand in front of the door so they can't get in. Usually, the characters will try to get by Minsc and the others to get to the PC instead of attacking them, and die. Meanwhile, PC is safe shooting arrows at them. Not very realistic. I wish I knew how to kill the deva he summons... hmm.

HA!! I did it I did it I did it! :banana:
    After about thirty tries, I finally killed Illyich. I also got the Deva. I can't believe she is only worth 20000 xp. Good Lord that was tough. Even with cheating I barely managed to make it out intact. From the otyugh room, Michaela talked to the Dryads, then went into the Library, where she assaulted the mephit first. Then she hid in shadows until the golem saw her, and ran back to the Otyugh room where Minsc Jaheira and Imoen were waiting. Everyone has a +3 weapon from the bag of holding I SKed in. I just wanted something to hold all the hammers and splint mail and mage robes I picked up, and I read somewhere that the code for the BOH was bag04, so I grabbed the fourth bag from the menu thinking that would be the only one that wouldn't freeze in my menu. After this level, they go back in the bag to be used in TOB. Anyway, I led Yich and his team one to 3 at a time, dealt with the golem and glabrezu, and went for the cleric. Who promptly summoned the deva. She cast firestorm on Michaela, who did the only intelligent thing she could, which was run away screaming. Michaela and the others thought they were safe in the Dryad room, but the deva followed us in there. I had hoped maybe the dryads could keep her occupied while I made good my escape, planting their trees should bring them back I would think, but they didn't fight her, so I had everyone grab their +3 weapons and attacked her en masse. Finally we killed her. Yay! more Later. :banana: :banana:

[ March 09, 2005, 14:27: Message edited by: Ravynn ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.