1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crash Problems

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by CUE, Jun 25, 2002.

1. CUE Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] At seemingly random points in the game, my computer will either crash to the desktop or reboot. If it crashes to the desktop, I can not succesfully restart BG2 without rebooting. I am almost certain that my problem is with my video card.
    I have a Voodoo5 5500 AGP and run Windows Millenium.
    Does anyone else use this card? If you do and don't have problems, please tell me which drivers you use.

2. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have a Matrox G450DH and sometimes my comp does the same thing, so it's probably not the video card, what motherboard do you have?

3. CUE Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Micronics C200.

4. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Well, if it doesn't have the BX chipset then I don't see anything in commen there either

5. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Yep, I'm having the same problems, but mine always reboots, never crashes to desktop... I have Win98 and no idea about my video card, it's whatever came with the computer.
    Now, I have not added any modifications or patches since my boyfriend bought the game.

6. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I run win2k.....
    So we have the problem on 3 OS's now.

7. Deano99 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

random reboots and crashes *can* be caused by graphics cards, and most often are. usually if they are running to hot. Most of the time it's caused by the processor running to hot. Your CPU gets too hot, it dies.

you might need to invest in another fan perhaps...

8. CUE Gems: 3/31

I actually had the heat problem with another game a while ago, so I bought a new fan. The Voodoo5 actually already has two fans installed. It's very true that heat can lead to these problems and this may be the case for some other computers, but I think that mine is hardware related, especially since I can't restart BG2 from a crashed desktop.

9. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm... that's an interesting point. I have a Compaq that I bought with all hardware installed, and I've made no changes or upgrades since I bought the system. How likely is it that my system would be prone to oveheating due to the installed hardware? Now, what I may do is thoroughly clean my machine. As claen as I try to keep it, I have two cats, and that means hair everywhere, no matter how hard I try.

10. Skrayper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ditch Win ME. It's horrific.

11. Stefanina Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Media:
    Well, I completely cleaned out the computer (I won't metion the fight some of those dust bunnies put up.. eek!) and the game is still rebooting my computer consantly.

Good grief, it seems I can't type worth a hoot today. I think I've had to edit just about everything I've done

[This message has been edited by Stefanina (edited July 03, 2002).]

12. CUE Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Sorry, I've been away for vacation. When I fixed my first heating problem, I also needed to use some heat grease between the CPU and fan. It makes a big difference. I'm sure that it will help your computer, but I doubt that this is our BG2 problem.

13. Stereophobia Guest

Ive had the same problem, try going into sond (in game) and turn off EAX, it will help alot

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

All Infinity Games have a problem with later versions of Windows (2k, ME, and XP). I do not think it is a heat issue as you are not getting the B.S.O.D. Zip your game and send it to me and I will determine for sure if it is your OS.

15. Gollum The Evil Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The problem I have is with quiting the game. Locks up everytime. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.