1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Long Bow Question

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Caliban, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Caliban Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Ok- Here is the Scenario:

I have an Elven Archer, with all his proficiancies in Long Bow. What Bows should I look to find, and what are the best bows in SoA, and ToB, and where can they be found.

This is the first time I have played an Archer, or for that matter, anyone who uses a long bow consistantly.

I am semi into the game, albeit not to the island...

I am using the Elven Court bow +3 found at the D'Arnise Keep.

I would appreciate any input that can be spared...

Thanks!

Caliban

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Go here and scroll some for a scoop on two great longbows, Heartseeker and Mana Bow.

http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/003652.html

Spoilers>>>>>>>>
    Heartseeker in Firkraag's Dungeon, north/west portion of second level map, in a dead end cave with a hidden door and you'll have to fight or sneak by golems.

Manabow in Forest of Tethyr cave just south and east of where Elhan takes you at the end of chapter 6.

Enjoy!

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Moved topic here since you asked about ToB as well.

About Heartseeker: You can also buy multiple copies from Ribald's secret stash once you exit from the Underdark.

4. Mirkwood Guest

ToB long bow... Taralash +4, can be upgraded to +5, increases movement rate by 2 which is not quite boots of speed but close.

Found in Watcher's Keep waaaaaaaaay down on the last level. You will have a fight on your hands getting it though :)

5. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

As I discovered, in my game at least, the bow really looses it's apeal in SoA, and even more so in ToB. They are always useful on wizards, but otherwise, it just seems like the damage they do isn't worth the effort really. I tried to have 2 archers in my party my second time through ToB, but I still found them more useful hacking away with a sword. They just didn't do enough damage with the bow, even using the best arrows, to justtify it. The fights seemed to drag on much longer this way as well. Anyway, hope you have a different experience.

6. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Yeah, but you cant beat a missile weapon for interrupting wizards/clerics (especially ones defended with a fireshield/blade barrier) or taking down enemies at the back of a big bundle while your fighters stand in a doorway and beat upon the guys at the front. Crossbows, although highly damaging, tend to be pretty slow. Shortbows are the quickest, but longbows have the best THAC0 boni, and are thus the best at hitting when it counts. This is where the elven court/mana bows really come into their own :)

7. Caliban Gems: 3/31

Wow... Thanks for all of the advice...

I will attempt watchers keep eventually, and in the meantime it looks like a trip to Firkraag's dungeon is in line.

Question: I beat the shadow dragon no problem at all, not even one guy died. Ive fought Firkraag once or twice and once got romed on, so I moved on, and the next time beat him after a strnuous fight losing all but 2 guys. I didn't fight the shadow dragon in that game (used wardstone).

Should I attempt to fight Firkraag?

Thanks

Caliban

-EDIT-
    afterthought: I probably will at least attempt Firkraag no matter what you people tell me, but I would appreciate any advice on the matter: i.e. strategy, hints etc.

Party is:

D'logiram - Archer, Elf - will have heartseeker by then

Minsc - longbow and two handed sword (sentient swd)

Jaheira - Spear +2, sling

Aerie - sling, Staff +1, asst. priest and mage spells

Anomen - Flail of the ages +3, priest spells

Yoshimo - short bow, katana +1, traps

Any strategy would be cool...

-Thanks-

[This message has been edited by Caliban (edited September 07, 2001).]

8. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] Already searched the forums? Type "Firkraag" - I could bet there will be sth....

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

if Aerie have lower resistance and breach (perhaps even secret word) it sounds like pretty doable fight, though if she don't have those (especially if she hasn't breach). That fight would be a kickout unless you're highlevel.

And someone should use the dragonslayer sword.

Summoning some creatures will work well, and send them in with the fighters. Let the archers keep their distance and let aerie fire breaches (if firkraags stops putting up stoneskin and other defense spells that prevent you from hitting him) then use lower resist (2-3 times), after that fire magic missiles at him.

10. Creslyn Gems: 3/31

Pretty much what Lokken said, and if you are going to use summoned creatures then probably the best to use are skeleton warriors. They get good resistances, are immune to dragon fear, and last pretty well compared to most summons. The only drawbacks are that they take up spell slots your mages could use for breaches and lower resistances, but you can always use your clerics to summon them if thats the case :)

11. mASSIVe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

ever tried greater whirlwind with an archer kit?

eats up lots of arrows...but totally rocks.

12. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

erm.. massive: something about that just doesn't sound right :)

13. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Creslyn, you're right, but since aerie is mage/cleric, she could use those cleric slots for skeletons instead of the mage slots :D

all in one solution ;)

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 07, 2001).]

14. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] I don't get it, what sounds wrong about greater whirlwind and archers?

15. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Big B, we're talking Firkraag! I really don't tihnk you have passed level 20 when you face him

16. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Maybe not, but GW with Mazzy and the Gesen bow is nigh unstoppable.

17. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, Lokken, you are not entirely correct. ;)

My solo RC got his first high-level ability in Brynnlaw before Spellhold and he maxed out in level before he fought Irenicus. :D

So it is technically possible.

18. Big B Gems: 27/31

I wasn't meaning that, I was wondering if anyone thought about it for a moment...greater whirlwind with a bow. Seem kinda funny? Imagine an archer's fingers lining up arrows on a bow and firing them so fast that it's a "whirlwind" attack. Seems amusing to me.

19. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

hmm what i understand from whirlwind attack is that the fighter whirls around his body axis so fast that he hits once each rotation or smthing like that. (like the attacks you see on some arcade fighting games such as fatal fury etc..)

anyways thinking about this for an archer with a bow gave me a laugh :) Then again Big B what you said makes sense (somewhat).

20. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

:rolleyes:

Modjahed, but I kinda expect you to have better equipment at high levels.

please tell who's the highlevel character...

and Big B, I read some about Mazzy becoming like a machie gun with greater whirlwind :D
    it's on the board, just search for it

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 07, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.