1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NPC Elimination Finals

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toturi sezaru Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My thoughts exactly!!!

Ok, you really should have put a stop time/date on the poll. Without it, the competition is totally biased. When Foppish Idiot said that the next vote would win, someone probably started a new account just so they could vote for the big bald idiot. The only way to be absolutely sure of the TRUE winner would be to start a new poll that HAD a start/stop time. Sorry Foppish Idiot but that was just some really bad planning on your part. :rolling:

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

So you're saying it should have been a draw? ;)

[ June 14, 2003, 10:48: Message edited by: RotKU ]

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Somebody sounds bitter.
    The best man/hamster combo won.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Ach... a draw. How that doesn't surprise me? ;)

(Yes, I read Aldet's message.)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, and now someone else voted, and it's tied again. I'll take the blame on this. I screwed up by not scheduling a stop time, although that isn't the only issue here. I guess I could start another link with this poll, this time with a start and stop time, but even then, the start and stop time would be arbitrary. I mean, what if you log on 1 minute after the poll ends? Was it not rather arbitrary that you were denied the right to vote because you were a minute late? In that regard, my saying "next vote wins" is no more arbitrary. This would be so much easier if there were an odd number of active members on this site.

While I cannot rule out the possibility that someone just opened an account to vote, that seems pretty weak. You just don't randomly read stuff in this site. If you're on this site, you're a BGII fan. No one just "happens by" this site, sees the poll, sets up an account and votes. That's ridiculous. If they voted - even if it was their first message posted to the site - if they are a true BGII fan then their vote should count just as much as anyone else's.

Also, the site requires you to input an actual e-mail address to get your password for your account. You can't be a member and input a "phony" e-mail just so you could vote twice. I suppose this would not stop someone from opening a new e-mail account, applying to SP through that e-mail, and being able to vote a second time, but that person has way too much time on their hands, and there's no guarantee that they can't do that on any poll in the first place!

If anyone else wants to finish this poll with something other than a draw, be my guest. I'm not going to try to fix this. There was no guarantee that it couldn't have ended in a tie even if it was scheduled to stop at a specific time. I screwed up, but I can't fix the unfixable.

The point is I forgot to set the start/stop time. Since it was over a week since the poll started, and pretty much everyone had already voted, I thought the only thing to do was say next vote would win, because 72 people had voted at the time. The 73rd vote was for Minsc. Then, most likely someone with as much time on their hands as the 73rd voter, voted for Imoen.

And I don't like the whole "arbitrary" angle of these arguements. Aren't polls inherently arbitrary since they are people's opinions?!?!?!?

For my part - although I suppose my opinion is rather worthless at this point - this poll has ended in a draw.

Oh well, I'm going to go back to work on my NPC guide...

[ June 16, 2003, 19:27: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, I don't think we should beat up on old Foppish too much -- we all make mistakes. A poll with one week to vote would be most sufficient and would give us some possibility of closure that did not seem arbitrary. I'll admit, when I suggested we have some closure, I thought a TIME would be set rather than a "next vote wins it!"

Oh, well, perhaps we can have another elimination series in 6 months or so.

8. Sweaty Used Armor Plus 100 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I know this is BG 1, but GO FOR THE EYES BOO! GO FOR THE EYYYYEEESSS!!!!!

9. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG]
    Aldeth, you are serious that anyone here does have only one email-account registered? I for myself have at least three (spam-acounts included); but only registered one at Sorcerer's.

Oh and btw: I know a person whose post is near this one (very near) that just qualified for IOTW plaque!

10. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

I'd go for Imoen.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I presume we're done here, considering Aldeth is running another version now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.