1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Daggers and other thief like queries

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Laches, May 3, 2002.

1. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Que honda all?

After a long absence from BG2 I'm ready for some more and was planning my next character. First, let me say I've already done a search of all the relevant forums. I'll make either a Kensai/Thief or a Fighter/Thief. I plan on getting Grandmastery in 2 weapons and then 2 weapon style I believe. One of the weapons I will grandmaster in is daggers and the other I'm still up in the air about. I understand that daggers may not be the most powerful choice but I like the idea of either a long/shortsword or maybe Katana in one hand and a dagger in the other. I have some questions about daggers and the Kensai/Thief more generally, I've been through the game a few times so spoil away :):

(A) Is it still true that a Kensai/Thief can wear Mae'Var's armor as I read in a thread on the BG2 forum or did that change with TOB?

(B) If you dual from a fighter or Kensai at level 12 or 13 are you still capable of fighting in TOB or is your THAC0 too high at that point?

(C) Daggers, I've looked at them and if you know the locations of them I'd appreciate it and also some questions about them specifically --

(1) Boomerang dagger +2 and Firetooth +3? I can't recall where to find either of them.

(2) Pixie Prick +3: not sure about location and does anyone have an experience about how often the sleep kicks in vs. a save?

(3) Stiletto of Demarchess: not sure about location and anyone have any experience how often the hold kicks in vs. how often it's saved against?

(4) Lifestealer: I REALLY think this sounds like a cool dagger with the level drain but don't think I've ever found it, any hints?

(5)Dagger of the Star +5: anyone know the location of the parts?

Any other daggers I'm missing that I ought to look into? Any experience as to favorites? I know I've asked a lot, rest assured I've looked around first and though I may have just foolishly overlooked it I couldn't find this info. TIA.

2. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Well I don't know where they are ingame, but since you have played it a couple of times now, you could always cheat to get them, if you want...

You can get a savegame editor (Shadow keeper) From the teamBG site, with that you can change the items you are carying, and so you got all the daggers you want, you can also do this to test the various daggers, if you're intrested in the effects.

And if you miss some things from the first BG Game, Copy the bg1 overide folder in the bg2 overide folder, and then you got all those goodies to :0)!

Hope I did help you...

3. Confirmer9 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Instead of going throught all of THAT, why don't you save yourself the trouble and use the CLUACONSOLE cheats?
    If you want to cheat to get them, that is. :D

4. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Yeah, you can that to, but I don't know the codes, so I always use the editer myself :0)

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Damn you Master of Nunh! Finish your item guide already, now I have to think! :p

Okay, for getting the items the legal way :)

Dagger of the Stars can be found with the DemiLich in Watcher's Keep (Lum the Mad's Level) Pixie Prick can be found in the Planar Prison. The Stiletto I just found (not sure where though) and I've just finished Gromnir, so it should be around there somewhere.

Don't know about the other ones.

6. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

first of all, if you want to get grandmastery in daggers then you will have to get a dual kensai theif, unless you dual class from a fighter kit to a theif. you cannot grandmaster with a multi calss fightertheif.

7. Israfel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

And if you want to get grandmastery in TWO weapon types plus the 2-weapons style, don't expect to dual to thief before ToB...it takes a lot of levels to get 13 proficiency stars. You can probably dual when you have 9 or 10 I think, then using the thief stars to complete...but it'll still require that you finish SoA as a kensai, probably.

This is the wisest thing to do, however - kensai/thieves do not get all the THAC0-enhancing spells of mages, so you'll need a decent THAC0 (at least 0) to play through ToB, but fortunately kensais have a 33% lower thac0 than normal fighters so it won't take long...(IIRC level 16 for THAC0 0, compared to the 20 of other fighters)

8. yappie! Guest

[​IMG] Lachen doesn't have to have 13 Profeciency before dualling. Dual from Kensai to thief at level 12, to get 4 Kensai bonus sets, dual to thief. By then you should have Grand Mastery in Daggers, and possible 3*** in Two Weapon Style.

But when you play as a thief, choose any other weapon. Katana maybe. When you reach level 13, you will be a Kensai thief. THEREFORE being able to use the Kensai Bonuses...(ie. +3 to hit and damage, Kai, and Grand Mastery).

So after you dualled to a thief, as long as you reach leve.13, you can get up to 5***** in profeciencies.

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Boomerang Dagger: Bridge district, mercenary captain inside inn.
    Firetooth: Drow city, shop.
    Pixie Prick: Planar prison, works as often as any other item giving saves, like celestial fury. More critters are immune to sleep though.
    Stiletto: Planar sphere, see pixie prick for hold affect.
    No idea about the rest, they are ToB items or don't exist.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.