1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Under Appreciated Weapons

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I s Azuredge +2 or +3? If its 2 then i say that. People always go for the mace of dis. but this axe can be thrown which far outweighs the mace when taking down liches fast. But i think its enchantment may throw it out here.

Staff of Curing is one of my favourites. Was my main weapon when playing a solo Fighter/Avenger once. The healing ability is handy too.

I like the Ras Dancing Blade too but its short life span at dancing is what makes it an unrealistic contender. Still I may edit it to last longer for myself :)

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

That Ilbratha is sure handy! A mirror image can save a poor fighter's ife countless times, and all you need to do is equipping it to a quick-wweapon slot, you don't even to use it or have proficiencies in lame shortswords!

3. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Azure Edge is +3 and it's one that some of them in other threads swear by for killing undead. Just not as often as the mace.

in Fact a surprising number of the Magical Axes are +3 in SoA and of course Higher in ToB. Even if there aren't as many.

4. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Nope! It's +2 on thac0, but +3 on damage.

I guess, the +3 on damage is what counts when deceiding wether a creature can be hit or not?

Anyway it's a nice mace ;)

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I completely agree with Azuredge, and I often used the illithium to upgrade that (Item Upgrade Mod) and turn it into a +4 throwing axe, with abilities the same as IMoD. The mere fact that it's a throwing axe makes it more useful than the mace, as it's always nice to kill undead from a distance.

Some other points:

I never knew Kundane gave an extra attack.

Water's Edge is the scimitar in you get in the druid quest, yes? I think that's +2 and it also provides an extra attack, so that would certainly qualify, though I would like someone to confirm it is actually +2.

@ Blog, yeah, you can use it's ability and then take it off, but I would become annoyed constantly switching belts, so typically whomever I give the Con belt to keeps it on all the time.

6. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Well if we're talking +2 weapons, then how about Daystar? It's got a +2 THAC0 and damage bonus, although this turns to +4 against evil creatures. Also, it does double damage versus undead! AND you get to cast Sunray once per day!!! :D

Now come on, that's pretty damn good for a +2 weapon! I guess the only problem is, that to get it, you do have to take on a Lich ...

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Water's Edge gives an extra attack? Do you mean Belm or Rashad's Talon?
    Anyway, the Namarra is a very underestimated weapon - not just for the silence but also because of its very high damage - it's 5-12, not 3-10.
    The Gnasher is an awesome anti-mage club - the splinters are not just good against stoneskin, but the chance to interrupt a spell is even better.
    The returning fire dagger is a +3 weapon... but aside from that, yes - a 2d4+3 dagger with fire damage and 2 attacks per round is a great weapon. In melee, it beats the raw dagger of the star for every purpose (except sl. lower attack bonus).
    I would also nominate the sunblade - +2 but +4 vs. evil, double damage vs undead and sunray for the "few" cases you have to deal with undead... It's good.

8. Razfallow Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Water's Edge is scimitar with enchantment +3 and with no other special abilities.
    It can be found in Jae'llat's House in Ust Natha.
    Or if you rest in one of these areas of Maze level in Watcher's Keep (first area with dead magic - AR3008; area with obelisk - AR3010), there is chance that you will be awakaned by party of five Alu-Fiends. All of them has Water's Edge.

9. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The scimitar you get on the Druid quest is Belm, and it is +2 and does give an extra attack - I'm certain, since I always consider giving it to Jaheira (why is it she can wield scimitars, anyway?), but always decline in favor of one of the +3 clubs. One of the things that annoys me about J is that she doesn't get a truly worthy weapon until the Spectral Brand...

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Spectral Brand works good in anyone's hands Truper! It's just a terrific weapon! :D

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The Unicorn's Horn spear +2. Immunity to confusion and charm.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Have you ever handled a normal mace? Base damage (unenchanted) is 1d6+1; Mauler's Arm is a straight +2 mace with a STR boost.

That is so very wrong. :shake: Water's Edge is a plain +3 scimitar with no special abilities. The +2 scimitar you get in the Druid Grove is the famous Belm, and is definitely not under-appreciated. :love:
    Rashad's Talon you get from the Trademeet Djinni, and it's just a plain +2 scimitar. (I have no idea why they put it there; you've already got Belm, which is 50 times more useful, so the Talon just gets sold. :rolleyes: )

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    How could I have missed Daystar and Belm - both excellent.

@ Truper - Jaheira can use scimitars because all druids can.

14. Shaitan

Well yes, but didn't realize that 1d6+3 actually meant it was +2, but I get it now when the base mace is 1d6+1. So Mauler's Arm can't be used to hit creatures whom requires a +3 weapon allthough it says +3? I'll have to look on the thac0 bonus instead for deceiding how many +'s a weapon has or remember the baseweapon?

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

My half-orc fighter/thief was dual-wielding Belm+2 and Dakkon's Blade+2.

I think Dakkon's one is great for mage multi-dual classes, BUT I encountered a dreadful improved Pitfiend (6 attacks/round, impressive AC and THAC0, disease+slow with no save, save vs death or take 999 poison damage, 20d6 fireball, symbols, imp. invisibility, remove magic, gate another improved PF when near death, occasional MR; these guys are so much FUN! :D ) and none of his weapons were able to scratch it! :wail: So good weapons with lower enchantments are not always THAT useful. :(

16. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Everything's built off of the base. Some weapons (like long bows) have natural bonuses to THAC0, and some have natural "bonuses" to damage. Technically I wouldn't call it a bonus because a mace is supposed to do 2-7 damage; the 4-9 of Mauler's Arm is just a +2 bonus on the regular damage. And the real thing that determines what can be hit is the "Enchanted" field in the item file, which is separate from THAC0 and damage though it should certainly be in accord with it. (For example, MoD is +1 or +2, but is counted as +4 or +5 because its "enchantment" is higher.)

17. Shaitan

Good to know, I'll look out next time starting BG2 :p

18. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Unfortunately Daystar and Belm can't make the list here becuase they are spoken about often and with generally high praise at least until things get into ToB so they certainly are not under appreciated.

19. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

There I go believing the manual again :( According to it:

can only wield clubs, darts, spears, daggers, slings and staffs.

Of course, I'd never beeen motivated to create a Druid to check it out....

20. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Agrees with starwalker - Belm and Daystar are two of my favorites, so I am certainly not under appreciating them. Gnasher rates pretty high on my single-handed bashing weapon list too, after the big hammer, flail and mace ;)

Agrees with Staff of Curing. Good early filler quarterstaff until the big ones can be obtained.

What do you guys think about that Staff of Thunder and Lightning? I think it was +3, with some nifty abilities like Call Lightning and Thunder Clap on hit. I tend to overlook this one as well, but I wonder if others have used it to its fullest potential.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.