1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Looking for the protagonist that will be toughest to kill.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Klorox, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I've decided to play a game where I refuse to reload, no matter what happens. If any NPCs get chunked, they stay that way. If my protagonist dies, I'm going to start over again.

So, I'm starting this thread to find the protagonist that is the toughest, most survivable possible.

In my first real go at this (I've made it very far without ever reloading in the past, but I've never made it my point) I'm giving a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist a try. They get great saving throws, and it's a good powerful combo.

I'm just fishing for some good ideas of other protagonists, in case this one either dies or I lose interest.

All Dwarves make good picks, since they get the best saving throws and a higher CON. Halflings are good too, since they get the same saves as a Dwarf (but since they're based on CON, the Dwarf gets the edge), but with a higher DEX (harder to hit).

Hmm, maybe I'll try a Halfling Barbarian next. ;)

Added: I also am looking for the toughest NPCs, but that part is optional. If you find yourself with any thoughts on what NPCs fit will with your protagonist suggestion, I'd be more than happy to consider your idea.

[ October 22, 2005, 20:26: Message edited by: Klorox ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Go with an elven M/T. It may seem counter-intuitive, but having your PC be a back row character can improve their longetivity considerably. I've never had Jan die on me, and I take him in every party.

You'll probably want a tank-heavy party to keep the monsters at bay, perhaps:

Keldorn
    Korgan
    Minsc
    Anomen
    Jaheira
    (Sarevok)

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Half-Elven R/C is the way to go. A little coddling early, but untouchable later on.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

A back ranker sounds good, as Fel pointed out. The more bodies between me and whatever's after me is a good thing.

I noticed Mazzy has good saves, though it might be from her being a chosen of Avoreen and not just being a halfling.

I would pick a gnome T/I. Like it was said, gnomes have decent saves and an extra spellslot should prove resourceful. Now, the real power is in the stats and how you like them.

5. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Let us know how you do, Klorox! Your project is near and dear to my heart - lately, I've been playing with the idea of getting a party through the game without anyone dying. I tend to get fairly far with it, but at some point I get a little over-anxious, or a little over-tired, and I make a mistake. BG2 is such a long game....

Anyway, here's an idea for you. Try dual wielding long and short swords. What can kill you in this game is getting incapacitated (just to state the obvious). That makes Arbane's sword an interesting weapon to my mind. Immunity to hold and stun is awfully nice, and you can have it very early on. Later, combine Arbane's with the Equalizer, and add immunity to charm and confusion. You might use them on a Cavalier, for immunity to fear, and a Paladin's great saving throws.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Berserker (9) / Mage (x). No contest, IMHO. I've only played this character once, back before I had ToB, but the combination of the Berserker's immunity to all disabling spells from rage and mage buffs is simply awesome. During the period where he's awaiting his fighter skills to return, keep him away from the frontline. Once the dual is complete, you have a peerless tank. Frequently his immunities and spells meant the difference between life and death, not only for him but for the whole party. The extra kill power from high level spells is just the icing on the cake.

7. Klorox

First off, thanks a lot for your suggestions! I'm currently in Chapter 2.

Here's what I'm going with so far:

Gnorman: Gnome Fighter/Illusionist. Right now, if he's not casting a spell, he's throwing Azureedge (the +3 Axe that insta-kills undead). Wite Stoneskin almost always on, and some Blurs and Mirror Images at his fingertips, and great saving throws, he's hard to hurt.

Keldorn: Helps a lot with those pesky mages, great tanker.
    Jaheira: Ironskin instantly makes her a tough-kill, great tank.
    Valygar: I'm recently really turned on by backstabbing. I'm starting to become dissillusioned as he has died twice already (once by Umber Hulks in the Umar Hills, once by Orcs in the sewers below the Copper Coronet).
    Anomen: I want a Cleric/Tank. I don't want a fight in my group (no Vikky) leaving Anomen.
    Jan: I'll replace him with Imoen later, but if she dies, I want a head start with Jan as my backup spellcaster (if he goes, I'm left with Nalia!). His better saving throws should help a lot.

So far, Anomen died once trying to get Keldorn in the sewers. I encountered that sea troll with no way to kill him (no fire, no acid), and an otyug at the same time. Ouch! I already mentioned how Valyar died twice. I'm going to have to beef him up a little more before hiding.

8. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

No reloads and no cheating!! My hats off to you, good luck!

9. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I think Felinoid is onto something as well as you Klorox.

I suggest a back ranker, who has the best saving throws in the game. I suggest a gnome cleric/illusionist.

Combining these two classes would give you great saves anyway, and if you can get a 18 constitution, you will get a +5 save on any magic related saving throw. Even if an enemy does ever end up targetting you, they will have a very difficult time actually harming you with the spell.

10. Klorox

Thanks Brallrock!

Krunchy: Good ideas, maybe I'll go with a F/Ill if this guy dies. I'm doing well so for, but the game is harder than I remember when I won't risk shoplifting! I'm trying not to do too many quests before setting sail for Spellhold, but the money is kinda short for me!

11. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Fighter Wizard Slayer Kit. Once he gets his MR he can be very deadly.

12. Klorox

Wow Abdel, that's a suggestion I never thought of... and a nasty one! For extra cheese, dual-class that Wizard Slayer into a Thief! ;)

13. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Play either a F/M or a blade. You get the three most important spells in the game (stoneskin, spell immunity(for immunity to imprisonment) and PFMW) either way. In terms of survivability it's kind of a toss up between them.

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Mage/Cleric is the way to go.

Keep them in the back, keep casting spells. You get both arcane AND divine buffs, so nothing can touch you, provided you have the patience to buff everytime a goblin runs by... :p

15. Darkstrike Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I would suggest a blade. Takes a little while but when he hits level 12 or so a blade gets very powerfull with the right spell combination and robe of Vecna and ring of free movement or anything that gives free movement! Defensive spin makes you near impossible to hit and with stoneskin, absolutely impossible to hit. And he can dish out severe damage as well! And later in the game when you find a scroll of timestop then your set, oh and also the traps at HLA's.

16. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    And definitely stay clear of Illithids :jawdrop:

17. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Yay, I got a vote for my guy!

I hate playing a backliner, but it has to be the way to go if you want to live.

18. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You asked the question but noone really answered it, the best tanking NPC in the game (hardest to kill and most health) is without a doubt Korgan. From what i remember his AC gets down around -10 and maybe more if you choose shield and other items right, and his health gets up to around 350 i think with good items and max level

19. Klorox

LOL, Thyorna, you're not answering the question I posed.

I asked which protagonist, not NPC would be the toughest to kill. While this includes combat, it's not exclusive. The character needs good saving throws and ways to avoid ever taking damage or falling to ill effects in the first place.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.