1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Githzerai, Githyanki...

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Zephyr Angel, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I am not very proficient in the knowledge of D&D. But after playing Planescape: Torment, I am interested in wanting to find out about the Githzerai and the Githyanki.

Are they something like the Drow and the Elves or more of the Dwarves and the Duerger?

however, they look fairly the same.
    And are they an endangered specie? i cannot find much of the Githzerai and the Githyanki anywhere other than the P:T and BG2: SoA.

Please shed some light on this1

Thanks!

2. Jaganis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You can find a little info on them in the Psionics Handbook, Monster Manual 3.5, and i think there is a tiny bit on them in the Manual of the Planes.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm guessing you're not a P&P player, so you aren't going to purchase the books.

Here's what I can tell you on the top of my head:

The Githzerai reside in Limbo. This is a plane of Chaos. I believe that Githzeri are often Fighter/Wizards (Sorcerers?) or Monks. They're netural (good-evil-wise), but I'm pretty sure they swing either way when it comes to Law/Chaos.

Githyanki reside in the Astral Plane. The Astral Plane is the big plane that connects all other planes. Githyanki are often Fighters or Wizards (once again, this is to my best memory). No Githyanki are Clerics, however. They often raid other places (like orcs and goblins), and sometimes get a mercenary Cleric to help them out.

Githyanki are Chaotic Evil, and often work with Red Dragons. They were, in the past, enslaved by Mind Flayers, but now are free, but still evil.

I know a lot of this sounds really random, like I just pulled it out of my butt, but I can assure that this is to the best of my recollection. The best choice would be to look at the Githyanki/Githzerai entries in the 3.5E MM.

4. Zephyr Angel Gems: 7/31

Thanks, are there anywhere in the net i can find more info?

5. Thunder Gems: 7/31

If you search the WotC site for them you will find tonns of information about them. I do believe it is all for 3rd edition.

6. Dall Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Know it's an old topic, but anyway i've something to add...

I've read somewhere, that both races are a result of the mind flayer experiments... They fled from the material plane because of them...

I don't know much about the Githzerai, only that they live on Limbo in monastaries... They are some of the only creatures who can handle the chaos on Limbo...

The Githyanki are never clerics because of their ruler, the lich-queen... They are feared by astral-travelers because of their ability to harm silver cords (astral forms)... The races hate each other, and makes often war against each other... I think it's a miniature bloodwar...

Hope you could use my information...

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Limbo isn't that the first layer of hell, According to Dante's Inferno? I have always been wondering why the Gitzerai came from hell...

That Mindflayer part is treu I did read that somewhere... Anyway there is also the Gothyanki a race of doomy planewalkers listening to the cure and writting dark poetry...

8. Dall Gems: 3/31

No... Limbo is the plane of ultimate chaos... You can read more in the manual of the planes... i don't remember what the first layer of hell is called, but i know it's ruled by the first of the nine, Bel... Try to make a search somewhere to find more information... But Limbo is very hard to control, and it's the homeplane of the Slaad...
    Look in the Manual of the planes for more information...

9. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I guess I'm right, read this:
    First Level of Hell - Limbo

Charon ushers you across the river Acheron, and you find yourself upon the brink of grief's abysmal valley. You are in Limbo, a place of sorrow without torment. You encounter a seven-walled castle, and within those walls you find rolling fresh meadows illuminated by the light of reason, whereabout many shades dwell. These are the virtuous pagans, the great philosophers and authors, unbaptised children, and others unfit to enter the kingdom of heaven. You share company with Caesar, Homer, Virgil, Socrates, and Aristotle. There is no punishment here, and the atmosphere is peaceful, yet sad.

But then again you're right to since the Limbo In D&D is not the same Limbo as discribed above, they just used the same name. I do have a copy of the manuel of the planes but I'm still bussy reading the book of vile darkness and the ultimate Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy :) I shall take a look later

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I have the old 1st edition Fiend Folio from TSR, if you want me to scan the pages on the Gith, e-mail me. I'll try to send it to you before the weekend is out. There was a fair amount of info on them in it.

11. Rubel Gems: 3/31

Yes, the story Torment tells about their origins is fascinating!

(if you're still playing the game, the above link has definite spoilers).

Something that's confused about the Githzerai is their tendency towards Chaos. It seems like it would take a supremely ordered mind to keep their cities in Limbo together. Don't they have (1st Edition) Monks, as well? And yet the general type is Chaotic Neutral. Is that because only a Chaotic creature could stand life in Limbo? It's an ambiguity.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.