1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Damn that bad DM!!

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ofelix, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    One of my player, a big Fan of Japanesse-RPG, wanted to DM a session, I have accepted since I was out of idea... but damn! just because he's cleric was "sooooo" strong he believe that a group of three people (a Mage (me) a Sorc and a ranger) all of them level 8 could beat he's arch nemesis a adult red dragon...! I think he didn't realize: WE DON'T STAND A CHANCES, maybe, MAYBE with his cleric (level 10) we could beat the red wyrm. I have asked him (in those term exactly!) " What the Fu*&*/$ hell we're you thinking?! we just barely survive your stupid Giant Worm, How could you though we could beat A RED DRAGON?! " and he then said " Well if your Fighter didn't died in the begening of the game... and beside in all Video game the final Boss is very though "

First: It's not the last boss since we will continue doing adventure after this (baaaaaadddd) quest

Second: It isn't my fault! the monster had a critical hit when my fighter had only 17 HP so that's why he died

Third: We don't have someone to heal, and we only have ONE melee fighter

Fourth: The " Last boss " may be though but not instantly though! and beside we are all Chaotic neutral, and the reason to why we should blast that thing? only " to help helpless elves captured by the dragon " c'mon! it doesn't fit with our aligment!

Sorry, But I have just to tell someone my D&D problem...

2. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Ok that just sucks, I would be surprised if you survided an adult red dragon with his cleric.
    I am assuming that you are playing in 3rd ED, that would make a huge challenge to a full four person party of 10th level... you people where 8th and short a person... if any of you walked away alive I would be surprised...

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Its possible, high a whole heap of people with seige weapons or something. But if your intent on going toe to toe it your screwed

5. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm guessing this guy never DMed a day in his life before that. Never ever ever evereverevereverevereverEVER let someone guest DM that you do not have COMPLETE confidence in, especially if your characters are deeply immersed in the storyline to your campaign (as well they should be). If they're searching for the lair of a great red wyrm as the entire basis of the quest, and you had several sessions left for them, there's a 96.5% chance (no really, I read that somewhere) that a guest DM will $&?! it up. Besides which, if the guest DM is particularly terrible (Don't worry, man, I've been there too--more than once), he makes stupid newbie-DM mistakes, such as pitting 8th-level characters against a CR--what's a red wyrm? 17? Even an adult red is like, CR 13 or 14, I think. That's sick.

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It should be known that the in 3rd edition (possibly in other editions), the CR of dragons were deliberately increased. This is because dragons are almost never presented as a random encounter, but usually part to a quest which the PCs usually have time to prepare against.

Still, I'm not saying that your DM was wise in putting something like that. But it is an interesting note. Besides, you could have just not done the quest. Or just convince people to help you.

7. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    anyway, he said to me " Why'd'ya think he's the last boss? " " Well he kindaped the sorcerer of our team, and a bunch of elves for NO REASON AT ALL, and we have killed his sibling in human form..." now what? we have to go search our Sorc in a Volcano?! We're on the northest civilizated town in the world! He realy think that a Gnomish Illutionist and a Halfling ranger could walk half the world, take our friend and smash a red dragon in time so the volcano don't burn to the death the sorcerer?...yeah right us in what army?!

Plus it was MY book he borrow...sigh...he declare himself DM and he don't even have the PHB! it's been only since July since he begin to play...

PS: I have made a error the ranger is level 9 (oh! big deal now we have a chances! he has +1 attack and + 7 hit-point than normal...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.