1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need Help With A Conversion! Know Forgotten Realms?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Deimos Phenom, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm trying to think of a way to convert my current campaign to Forgotten Realms without annoying my players too much. I don't want them to have to pretend like they were always in FR, and my previous campaign world didn't exist. I'm thinking a portal-hopping mishap brings them there, but that seems a little cliche'. Anyone have any really wild ideas?

2. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As I suggested for a person looking to move his party to Sigil, try a Retributive strike.

If you aren't familiar with it, it's the explosion of mystic energies when someone snaps a Staff of Power in half.

You'll have to fudge it so that you get the percentage chance to be plane shifted rather than annihilated, but then you can just drop them right into anywhere you want in Faerun.

3. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31

That would in fact be ridiculously cool to do, but the chars are pretty low-level so far. Giving them a staff of power would be like giving a tactical nuke to a ten-year-old. *LoL* Now, if I could somehow make a retributive strike that affected more people than the caster, that might work.

4. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Depending on how much the players know about your current world, you might could fudge it. By that I mean integrate your world (unless it's massive) into a small corner of the Forgotten Realms (like west of the Shining Sea, past the Mooshaes)and have them travel to somewhere like Waterdeep or Luskan (by a very believable and mundane boat trip) and start there.

If you choose Waterdeep, the module, City of Splendors, will tell you more than you EVER wanted to know about that city. Just a thought. :)

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

How about a screw up with ultimate cosmic power? They can annoy a realy evil wild mage who's spell of mass destruction surges and lands them in FR.

6. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31

Oooo, many very cool ideas. I like the wild surge idea, may be fun. My gaming groups in the past have had very BAD experiences with boats. However, since this is a new group and they don't know the horrors I've seen on the open seas, that may just work. A buddy of mine on a FR message board actually suggested that idea, too. After all, Toril has a lot of uncharted territory...

7. Chulain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I recently did this to my campaign, but I did exactly what you do not want to do, that is, I simply "translated" all the stuff from my game into FR equivalents and took it from there.

But, since you don't want to do it that way, there's always the "it was all a dream" gimmick, which is also overused.

If you go with an in-game solution (the wild magic surge, the dimensional rift, etc.), how do you plan to handle languages? I'm not saying you necessarily have to make it easy on your PCs. Heck, learning to survive in new world without being able to communicate could be a decent adventure in itself.

8. Bumbaclott Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My initial idea for your problem would serve them an adventure in which they are deep within a dungeon/compound/etc.. As the adventure closes, the place in question should collapse/ignite/etc.. All exits cut off by obvious odd twists of fate, the heroes are left with only one option.. Jump into the magic well/portal/etc..

Or you could steal and adapt the Ravenloft transferrence.. Put them on a boat headed for a specific location.. blinding fog sets in momentarily, then clears as quickly as it came on. When they finally spot land it ends up being your chosen location in FR..

I've got a few old 1980, 30-sided die, table books. They're full of tables for random things you can't decide on yourself.. One of the books I have has a table for something like this.. "Moving characters to other realms and dimensions, the vehicles of.." I think is what the section was called.. If you're still debating about it and can't decide.. I can look go try and find it, may be interesting..

9. Deimos Phenom Gems: 2/31

Ooooo, I like the language barrier. I'm using that one for sure, but getting them there is still a problem. Maybe the fog thing might work. I'll figure it out. Meanwhile, that table might help. I'd appreciate it. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.