1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Defeating The Tarrasque in 1 round? Please comment

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lokken, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] ok, I have a theory that needs a bit of luck, but not much more than possible.

the party to do this consist of:
    2 fatespinners/wizards (lvl 10/10) with maximized spins
    1 fightertype lvl 20(or something high)
    1 wizard or cleric with wish/miracle spell

First the party needs to win initiative. This might be the hardest part but not impossible with init boosting items, feats etc.

First fatespinner cast polymorph to turn The Tarrasque into something larger or lower size. DC is boosted 40 because of maximized spin. The Tarrasque has to roll natural 20 (5% chance) to save.

Next fatespinner cast seal fate and boosting the DC with spin to a total of 60. Once again The Tarrasque has to roll natural 20 (5% chance) to save. The Tarrasque goes to -10 hit poins.

The fighter deals 20 damage in some way or another. Should be easy enough with good weapons, stats and feats etc.

Then The Tarrasque is at -30hp and the cleric or mage cast wish/miracle to make it stay dead.

1 round needed to defeat probably the most powerful creature in the monster manual.
    Is this theory correct?

I'd especially like comments from the die hards ;)

2. void Guest

Doesn't wish/miricle take more that 1 round to cast? I'll just check... nope I was wrong, they both have cast time of 1 action...

3. Might I ask what a fatespinner is? Sorry, never heard of the class . . .

EDIT: Sorry, I hate to nitpick, but a few dragons and Titans have a higher CR (some by 5 points or so). But of course, it is pretty friggin' powerful, and your theory sounds pretty sound, Lokken.

[This message has been edited by creudzfeldt-jakob (edited February 22, 2002).]

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

a fatespinner is a prestige class from the Tome & Blood supplement.

I know about the CR but if you look up the monster statistics, The Tarrasque seems to be most powerful creature on the ground. I looked at the Titan in comparison and such I believe, would seriously get their arse in trouble ;)

A dragon can fly, so I don't know how that would work.

5. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I think I missed something there....at what point do you deal 850 pts of damage to bring it down to -10 hp? Does the Seal Fate spell does this somehow? Not familiar with this spell, nor the Fatespinners...still, that seems to be an awful lot of damage in one instant.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

seal fate makes the target die instantly, but since no death sort of magic works on the tarrasque to kill it, it is reduced to -10 instead.

Skedaddle came up with the idea of using disintegrate which actually would work as well if you just defeat the spell resistance. Hadn't thought of this, but it works too so you only need 1 fatespinner.

7. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If I have this right, a fatespinner can store up to a maximun number of spin points equal to the total of all caster levels. In this case the maximum stored spin is 20.

Upon reaching 10th level as a fatespinner the PC becomes a Favored One, the total spin allowed to be stored doubles, so the max stored spin is now 40.

Using Spin destiny, the DC of any spell cast could be adjusted by an amount equal to the caster level, a maximum of 20 (A favored one is still restricted to using up to a maximum of this amount even though he can store twice that amount).

The first thing the spell casters have to do is to beat the spell resistance of the Tarrasque which is 32. This means that they have to make a caster level check of greater than 32. They roll 1d20 plus caster level. so they would need to roll a 12 or greater. If the fatespinner ability spin destiny is to be used on these rolls, extra fatespinners will be needed.

The spell Polymorph other allows for a fortutude check to negate the spell. The DC of any spell is its level + caster level + ability bonus. In the above stated example the polymorph spell would have a DC of 4 + 20 + 4 (I have assumed an Inteligence of 18) for a total of 28, increased by 20 to 48 for the spin destiny.

The Tarrasque has a Fortitude save of +38, thus would save on any roll 10 and over.

As for Seal Fate, the save is again a fortitude save at a given DC of 20, adding the maximum spin for Spin Destiny would make the save DC 40.

The Tarrasque would save on any roll of 2 or more.

In the description of the fate master, all indications are that only a single roll in any given round can be altered. The above example assumes that both fatespinners are affecting the DC's of each others spells. "For example, a 5th level wizard/5th level fatespinner could apply up to 10 points of spin to a desired check, assuming ...." The operative word in this case is "a", meaning one. Of course this is my interpretation.

The above example could be made possible with the use of 4 fatespinners of 10th level with additional spellcasting ability of 10th level. I find that the probability of there being the requisite number of fatespinners, who are also favored ones, in the right place at the right time to be so small as to be quite impossible. Of course if there were such a gathering, it would work.

Also, Skedaddle is right about using Disintegrate instead of Seal Fate as the DC is much higher in this case; 6 + 20 + 4, for a total of 30. Making the DC with "spin" 50, requiring the Tarrasque to save on a roll of 12 or higher.

One last thing, to work, one would not need to have 4 "Favored Ones". Two favored ones plus two other fatespinners with a combined caster level of 10 and 8 would be sufficient.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited February 22, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited February 22, 2002).]

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

I don't know for sure, but I believe you Baldak. I might have missed that point with the favored one :)

Fudging the dice with abilities is a grand idea though

9. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

*sigh* :rolleyes:

While you're at it, remember to buy my books:

Volar's Guide To Slay Gods I-III
    How To Kill Your Foe In LESS Than One Round

Only $89,99 from your local retailer. Buy all four books and receive a FREE 'I killed Cyric' t-shirt AND the adventure 'Beyond Godhood' for character levels 120-157. By using the four books, you'll reach these levels in no time.

"I bought the books and I must confess that they really improved my standards of life!"
    -Unknown D&D player

"This is the best deal I ever made. I heartily recommend it."
    -Another D&D player and his mate

10. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Well Volar, if you can't come with any theoretical solutions to a unsolveable problem, why don't you shut up while you're at it hmm? ;)

And no, I'm not a religious man, so I don't expect a God to intervene to solve mans problems.

BTW Baldak; about the fate spinners. I still don't understand why you need 4? I thought you only needed one if he used a spell like disintegrate

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited February 24, 2002).]

11. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

A little bit OT, was reading Dragon today: They give tarrasque an ECL of 60. H-heh.

12. Kerric Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Is this all u can do, sit around for a day or two and think of a way to kill the Tarrasque in 1 round?
    Isnt this the thing known as Max/Min playing or Munchkin playing?
    What happened to the good old roleplaying?

I have to admit I been in a party that killed the Tarrasque (AdnD2E version) in a round or two, but those was the Muchkins Munchkin Kings, and that was boring as hell.

I wouldnt consider playing a character that was based upon the theory of killing the worst creature ever as fast as possible.

You should be ashamed of your self even thinking of this.

13. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Have you not being paying any attention at all so you say that "All we can do is sit around for a day or two and think of a way to kill a tarrasque in one round"?

Actually, we do a lot of other things, and this discussion is way older than 1 day.

It isn't the thing known as "Min/Max playing" or "Munchkin Playing" since, unlike you, none of us actually play that.

You wouldn't even "consider playing a charcter based upon the theory of killing the worst creatures as fast as possible" yet you state that you have been in a party that did exactly that, despite the fact that it was boring as hell

So who should be ashamed, eh?

[This message has been edited by Skedaddle (edited February 25, 2002).]

14. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Lokkken, in order to increase the DC of the spells to a high enough level, you will need 2 spinmasters for each spell. they do not have to be 10th level spin masters, but you will need to be able to add enough spin to each spell to decrease the chances of the Tarrasque's saving to 5% in order to give yourself the best chance of success. Also, you have to beat the spell resistance of the Tarrasque. This would yet require two more fatespinners in order to give yourself the best chance of success. Thus even if a disintegrate spell were used instead, you would need 4 fatespinners, two to affect the spell DC, and two to affect the Caster level check to beat the Spell Resistance.

[This message has been edited by Baldak Oakfist (edited February 25, 2002).]

15. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

well actually why I posted 1 round, I don't know. In my opinion I don't think you will survive more than 1 round and it requires you win init too.

As for munchkin gaming, I know nothing of it. And is high level characters munchkin gaming? (not that I would know, never been over level 4, lol :))

What I'm doing is analysis of the rules system from the official sources. Trying to find flaws and gaps. Hell, we wouldn't have done anything new for a thousand years of research if no one did this.

Do you call it munchkin gaming to defeat BG2 with a monk with no equipment? I just try to find a way to accomplish something that to me seems rather impossible. Not that I would ever care to do it, someone else can do that.

16. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31

Yeah, my idea of a great accomplishment would be defeating the Tarrasque AT ALL, not just in one round.

Seems neat though, but a little meta-gaming-ish. Of course, I'm not that familiar with 3E myself.

17. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Egad, heated pointless anger coming from the crowd! Wow.

Lokken and Baldak, you two should set a time in the RC room, and put Lokken's theory to the test!

...and let me know if you do, I want to watch a group of 20th level characters get eaten.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.