1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I am an Idiot (+ Mind Teaser)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Enagonios, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I changed it a few times while typing b/c I couldn't remember if it was Luther or Augustine. They both were kind of earthy.

I do know that Augustine was the one who prayed, "Give me chastiy, but not yet"

2. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Anyone ever wonder what God's doing now? That skeptic didn't realize God is still in eternity. He's an eternal Being and is not bound by time.

Einstein introduced us to a four-dimensional universe. We have a hard time conceptualizing this because we are bound to three; we cannot travel freely in the fourth. God is not bound to three dimensions; I believe He can see the whole of time's expanse. An odd picture, but quite logical once you think about it.

3. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well if God truly does "exist" (one must be lenient on this case to adopt existence to transcend 3-dimensional conceptual space and its cusp with 4-dimensional continuum of time), I certainly hope he's more than 4-dimensional. He would be have to be infinitely dimensional. One cannot be as presumptuous as to say that there are no dimensions beyond 4th. What governs it, as 2nd to 1st, 3rd to 2nd, 4th to 3rd? Thus God must comprehend infinite dimensions, or else he is not infinitely aware. And if he IS infinitely aware, why would he choose the 3rd level, rather primal and base, to experiment with creation?

These questions, as always, are speculation. Nothing is definite, nothing is assured.

Keep that in mind always.

Amon-Ra

4. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think, and this is with no knowledge mind, that most of the new physical theories are supposed to only work if there are at least 7 dimensions, with the ones we can't see curled up really small. That was about the point I gave up trying to understand the "Brief History of Time"

5. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I always thought the dimentions went like this.

1 Dimentional == height
    2 Dimentional == height and width
    3 Dimentional == height, width and depth
    4 Dimentional == the space around an object.

6. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, its actually just infinite manifestation of the previous dimension. Infinite 1 dimensional lines form a plane. Infinite planes form an object. Infinite objects- this is where it gets fuzzy because this is where we exist. One can speculate that this is a time continuum, or simply an infinite multiverse that we cannot render or comprehend. Beyond that, who is to say that there are no dimensions below a point? What if we exist within a spectrum, and can only see so far down the spectrum? What constitutes, renders, a point?

Amon-Ra

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I think we are totally unable to grasp what a 4th (and beyond) Dimension would entail.

To back this up, read the book "FLATLAND", the story of a square in a 2D universe that gets transported to 3D. After experiencing 3D, he goes back to his 2D home, and is locked up as a mad man.

4D is beyond my ability to imagine. I can think of what it could be like, but the "reality of it" is beyond me.

8. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

We already live in a four dimension world. The fourth dimension is time. (This is when I was going to make a long example explaining this, the realise that my english in this point is actually horrifying, and so decide to shut up to avoid looking like a complete idiot!) ;)

9. stargazer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Our mathematician says they are 12 (the dimensions). He tried to explain it but it kinda turned into a waaaaaaaay too philosophical conversation so I won't bother posting it here.

10. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A mathematician being philosophical? What a contradiction! :D

11. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you believe in the string theory as to what things are made of then there are a ****load of dimentions.

Lets TRY to get back to the topic of riddles.
    As to the last unanswered riddle: What is everything to someone, but nothing to someone else?

There are multiple answers but IMO the best is TRASH. Per the quote "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

So you all need a riddle, first an easy one:

I walk on four legs in the morning, two at noon, and three in the evening.

I know it is simple but it should stop the religious infighting.

I'll try to think of an original one and post it soon.

12. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Its man - baby - crawing
    man walking normally
    old man - with a walking stick

13. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Actually with string theory there are only 11 dimensions, not 12; we have the 6 calabi-yau dimensions through which the string oscillates, thus giving it properties like energy, mass, spin, whatever, and then at least one (confirmed one) miniature spatial dimension akin to the 3 we all know and love. Theoretically there can be an infinite ammount of dimensions the string can be shaped over, but lets aviod that subject for now shall we? lol

14. Sol'Kanar Guest

Right....
    Back on the topic of riddles, I have a few.

1. We are very little creatures; all of us have different features. One of us in glass is set; one of us you'll find in jet. Another you may see in tin, and a fourth is boxed within. If the fifth you should pursue, it can never fly from you. What are we?

2. What lives in winter, dies in summer and grows with its roots upward?

3. I have a hundred legs but cannot stand, a long neck but no head; I eat the maid's life. What am I?

4. This thing runs but cannot walk, sometimes sings but never talks. Lacks arms, has hands; lacks a head but has a face.

5. What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a bed but never sleeps, has a head but never weeps?

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that for now.
    As an afterthought, what do you have against pagans? I'm pagan.

[This message has been edited by Sol'Kanar (edited August 23, 2001).]

15. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

1. vowels
    2. icicle
    3. broom
    4. clock
    5. river

How'd I do? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.