1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

School Sucks

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

School? I have studied, oh; 6...9...12... some silly 13 years and still have 3 or 6 more to go. :book: Sure, it´s dumb as hell sometimes -religion classes-, but with it one can, hopefully, get a decend job as a... umm... bach.eng./software eng./plumber/scientist/just-name-the-tech.

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    same as Virne

only religionclasses were cool "Define God for me will you??" :D

3. Ex-Paladine Banned

:flaming: I've got a science exam. Study.. Study.. Study.. :flaming:

4. Xyphys Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Last week I had seven exams. Today I had my Latin exam. Learned about one hundred and fifty pages, only got asked about one single page :eek:

5. Ex-Paladine Banned

Uhh hard to study study to all. Wohoho

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

In response to the guy who asked what the hardest year of school was: For me it was my junior year of high school. Senior year was the easiest (maybe that was because of the fact that I had already been accepted to one of the top business schools in America at the start of the year so I started trying harder).

I'm curious to ask what nation the majority of them come from. In my American school, bullying was not a problem. Never got the end of it myself, and I don't remember hearing about anyone else getting it ridiculously bad.

7. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I have to memorize the whole dang periodic table of the elements by the end of this week for my science class. And I only know like 5 of them. That means even MORE homwork this week.(as if I didn't have enough). Ah well, enough complaining, for I know it does me not a bit of good, though I sometimes wish it did.

8. Teensabre Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Noooo...School doesn't suck, it's just they test the heck out of everyone. :( Typical

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I am in between schools right now, and am working on a dead end job. I can tell you school ain't that bad, on the other hand I only have 4 months to go and I have a long vacation :thumb: .

10. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] When i was in school i just couldn't stand it. But now i'm far beyond that point i want to go back and stay there if possible.The question is really complex because noone can really understand how good you spend your day in school untill after you are gone.

11. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Music and all that Handiwork thing pisses me off. I don't need to know, who the **** is Mozart, or do I? He's just some guy, who wrote several bunches of some crappy classical music and now we are forced to listen to them. Ouch. And Handiwork. Oh please. I am so NOT going to marry, have kids, sit home like some dependent chicken and knit. Never. I hate unpractical things and having TOO many people around me. No way.

12. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

You are so wrong about Mozart and music.

Let's talk about Mozart first. He is extremely talented (subjectively speaking). He might just be the best musician that mankind ever had. (Isn't that enough to learn more about him?). Compare him with Beethoven, Beethoven is not that talented, he is experimental nonetheless but he used to much repetition. As my lecturer put it, "Beethoven is not that talented, when he found a new tune, he will use it repeatingly". Mozart never wrote anything serious. His only serious work is his unfinished requiem before he died, which i want to play it during my funeral. So his music is not intended to be of any serious value like most people expect classical music should be. He is a great part of our human history. If he is just some guy who wrote some crappy music and you are forced to listen to it, then Washington is another some guy who lead some more other guys to set up a crappy nation and you are forced to whatever with it. It is, after all, part of our heritage. How can you know face the future without knowing the past? (If you are one of those ignorance Americans, may i add that "Wake up, the world is not just America. This world is very small, and America is another smaller part of it.")

Now, about music. What is culture? Culture is a kind of knowledge for human to survive that passed on from one generation to another. Unlike animal, human have limited instinct. You don't need to teach a cat to hunt and the cat will eventually knows how to hunt for a rat. Human don't. You don't a child to use chopstick (or other sliver ware) the child might die of starvation (taking an extreme example). Music is part of our culture. As a human, who socialize with other human, we are obligated to know what is and was going on. Why music we listen to nowadays is like that? Coincidence? Well, luckily people have come out with an explaination for it. Again, how can you face the future if you know nothing about the past? Besides, we have lots of excellent music from then till now, why not spend some time, while you can, with the help of a qualified lecturer and try to appreciate it?

Like i said, culture, knowledge and such. Handiwork is our survival kit. From where do you think MacGyver started his career? Impractical? Are you absolutely positively sure that you wouldn't need your skill and knowledge from handiwork class in the furture?

Look, the things that you study right now do not come out of the blue. People spent time on deciding what should be taught. These people were once young and experienced youth. They already know what they didn't learn in the past which in turn make them so crappy. You wish to follow their footstep?

Edit:
    What is really impractical is that when they ask what you want to be in the future when you are 12, and your answer is the president of U.S. and they teach you exclusively how to have oral sex with your intern. How many people have dream of becoming a doctor actually made it?

As i said in earlier post, school don't teach you to face your job, school teach you to face to world.

[ March 11, 2003, 22:25: Message edited by: teekc ]

13. Eze Gems: 24/31

I am not from America. I think my location gives it away. Estonia-The place, where people say 'Aia' and the freeks live. On the music. In my opinion, it is a subject I don't need. Whatever you say. They forced us to learn claasical dancing. I hated those balls. Nobody ever danced with me and everybody from our class despised it. I am not ****ting you here.

I don't need music and classical crapdance. I can manage very well without them.

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Eze, only if you have the preternatural ability to see the future, or if you intended to kill yourself after that posted.

I intend to be a doctor. But twenty years from now, I could be a pig farmer in Nebraska, who does tap dancing in his spare time. The idea is that it's important to be well-rounded (although ball dancing does stretch it a tad too far), and you don't know what's going to be set up against you.

On the other hand, if you feel you can make a decent living specializing in whatever you feel will help you get through life, you should probably go for it.

[ March 11, 2003, 21:11: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

15. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The ONLY thing that sucks about school is, like many other people said, the homework. Everything else about it is pretty okay. On a side note, my Social Studies teacher is really cool.

16. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Yes, even though I DID post this topic, I do agree with you Hephaestus, stuff at school like lunch and hanging out with friends and such is not so bad. It's the homework, as I've probably said before, that really gets to me. Like right now for example I should be doing my homework.(Although I did do some already) Oh and not very many people answered one of my earlier questions(I was hoping people would):"What do you think is the hardest year in high school?". It would be great if you guys could give me some feedback. Thanx! Anyways I guess I'll get back to my homework now because I have to go to bed soon.

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Looking back on it all I would have to say that the first year was the most difficult. Sure the actual materials covered became more difficult as years went by but making the adjustment to the differences between junior high and high school was the most difficult thing for me. Of course I was always noted for being my school's resident bookworm, and I actually enjoyed most of my classes, so my experience may not have been typical.

18. Eze Gems: 24/31

Well, ALL OF IT sucks. Even the lunch. We have only 10 mins to eat and the food is crap.

19. Ex-Paladine Banned

Hephaestus: Right but in my school plus teachers. And punishments.

School Sucks

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

If you are complaining about the homework now, you haven't seen anything yet.

In many universities here, you'll be packing pretty close to 6-7 hours of homework per night. And it won't stop there. In order to get ahead in just about any white-collar career, you're going to be putting in 20 hours of work a week in addition to the standard 40.

NOTE: I am not complaining about this. I never had any trouble with homework. As you get older, you either begin to respect what you're learning or you're stuck. I prefer the former.

VERY few grade and secondary schools will ever assign more than two or three hours of homework a night. Utilize the time you get in school instead of goofing around or sleeping like many kids do. I think you'll find that you don't have as much homework as you think.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.